Cycling and bicycle related stuff.

CyclARSEts talk in here.
Virtual-R
Ninja Roy

Re: Cycling and bicycle related stuff.

Post by Virtual-R »

The new silver based battery cells can be tiny and deliver 4amps of power at 3 volts, you could likely run a 50 watt motor for around 5 to 10 seconds at that level. Unless the pedals are holding a very small magneto which is charging the single cell.

Thing that makes me believe that video is rubbish though is the sudden jump in power, a 50 watt motor would never gain that much in such a short amount of time. It would maybe creep a meter further during that 5 or so seconds of sudden charge it has, but that's about it. Also there would be no reason to run the cell via a button (very easy to tell something strange is going on, plus it would look fake the sudden jump in power directly following).

The magneto / cell could deliver a constant rate of power while pedalling, which would help a rider over the entire course while running flat almost the exact second the pedals stop, in that case there would be almost no chance of being detected. Surely professional riders would opt for a system like that if they were going to break the rules instead of a push button / heat activated sensor.

Doesn't cycling have something similar to parc feme? where all the bikes are sent after the race to check for things like this? A system could definitely exist to do this but surely the top body in cycling would have realised this by now? the only places it could be held is within the pedal area and within the hubs. Wouldn't take long for officials to check both those areas for anything irregular.
Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by Gizmo »

I heard this morning that Valverde (spelling) has been banned for two years for doping..... :fall:
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

hum... interesting either way.. but it could be quite helpful at or near the end of a course, being that any boost is better then no boost.

tho with the guber videos.. that is very noticeable whine
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Gizmo wrote:I heard this morning that Valverde (spelling) has been banned for two years for doping..... :fall:
Yep & about time to...this particular saga has been going on for 18months & stems back to the 2006 Operación Puerto.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/valverd ... ps-results" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The strange thing is that it is only back dated to Jan 1 2010. So his Giro win last year stands & Cuddles doesn't get to claim it but at least he now leads the Pro rankings.

tbh (& sorry to generalise) but I don't trust a single Spanish rider anymore...
As Simon Gerrans Tweeted this morning Adios Alejandro.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

I'm not sure how it works in cycling but in athletics if an athlete returns a positive test, you can normally assume that the rest of the squad they train with is on "the juice" too. It's as much a coach thing as it is an athlete thing.

Take Marian Jones. Her partner got done, then the coach got done along with alot of other squad members, then she got done. And there is a sprint group in Jamacia. Asfa Powl, Usain Bolt, Veronica Campbell amoungst many others. Two members of this squad have tested postive. Now most people think that bolt is also on the juice, because it's a coach thing too.

Is it the same in cycling?
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Gizmo wrote:And there is a sprint group in Jamacia. Asfa Powl, Usain Bolt, Veronica Campbell amoungst many others. Two members of this squad have tested postive. Now most people think that bolt is also on the juice, because it's a coach thing too.
Who got done?
It's worse in cycling because, as far as i know, cycling doesn't have the same codes of practice for drugs that other sports have. It's odd because it is the sport with arguably the worst history.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

I'm not sure, can't remember, it was about 7 months ago. It was nobody named though.

I thought cycling had the best anti-drugs process?
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

J.D. wrote:
It's worse in cycling because, as far as i know, cycling doesn't have the same codes of practice for drugs that other sports have. It's odd because it is the sport with arguably the worst history.
not sure where you're getting that from!
yes it's true that cycling historically has a poor record with regard to drugs (look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_do ... in_cycling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) but currently cycling has one of the strictest anti drug policies in sport and definitely one of the most rigorous testing procedures...

Q&A with Fausto Coppi on the subject
Question: Do cyclists take la bomba (amphetamine)?
Answer: Yes, and those who claim otherwise, it's not worth talking to them about cycling.
Question: And you, did you take la bomba?
Answer: Yes. Whenever it was necessary.
Question: And when was it necessary?
Answer: Almost all the time!
Cheers,
CLP
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

imho cycling's anti-drugs policy on face value seems to be one of the most stringent in sports. At the very least it is the most open in the sense that it is well publicised and covered in the mainstream media.

As for doping groups in cycling, I think it is logical to expect that this may occur, however it may not be a simple as a whole team doping just because 1 or 2 of their riders is found to be. Riders can have their own doctors & personal trainers which can introduce a 3rd party to the equation. However it is just as likely that some teams could be blanket doping or at the very least doping thier top riders given every team has a medical team within them.

As for a parc-ferme in pro-cycling I am not entirely sure how this is handled @ the pro level or for specific events. I know there is random scrutineering at all levels of cycling, this includes Aust national events but there is nothing like parc-ferme as there is in motorsport. Bikes do not get locked away between races or stages of an event by the event organiser or UCI. Once again there are strict regulations of what a bike design is to be and a min weight is also dictated. Time Trial bikes have even more reg's to try keep them looking like bikes rather than space-ship type designs. I believe each team / bike manufacture has to submit a sample to the UCI each season or after any design changes especially so for TT machines.
Dukester

norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

You only have to follow some of the cyclists on Twitter to realise just how often they get checked. In that regard, it makes it look like they are doing something about it.

On the other hand, the drug agency is always going to be reactive. The dopers proactive. I suppose it is that way in all law enforcement to a degree. I believe they are keeping blood and urine samples these days to test at a later date when the testing is better. Whether that can catch anything is beyond me. It would be interesting if in say 20 years it turned out that Armstrong tested positive in one or many of the TdF's he won.

With regards to what Coppi said in Carl's post above. There was a very successful cyclist that married into the brides family maybe 25 years ago. He told my brother in law that for any cyclist to be successful they had to be on something. And they were very good at covering their tracks. It's a bit sad to think about it, but who can say with any certainty that the Aussies aren't into it as well? I'm not saying they are, given some of their stances on it and remarks on Twitter, you'd think they weren't, but there is always that lingering doubt in my mind.

They spoke about this a while ago on ABC grandstand on a Saturday. I can't for the life of me remember who it was that was saying that all sports have performance enhancing drug use at the elite level. Even snooker players were mention. That came as a bit of a shock.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Even snooker players were mention. That came as a bit of a shock.
So when did alcohol become a performance enhancing substance. (read below) :lol:

Ah the famous blood passport, I forgot to mention that before. If your so inclined & have time check this out:
http://siab.org.au/what-is-blood-passpo ... nation.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The issue I see for this approach in the future is how do they detect significant changes if a cyclist has been doping all his amatuer life and then comes to the pro peleton, in thoery as long as he continues to dope then no significant change would be detected and he could rightly claim he has a naturally high reading as did Ricco & others do today.

As for Amphetamine use in the old days, you may remember from last years TdF on the stage up Mt Ventoux there was a lot of media coverage of Tom Simpson who died many moons ago while doing that climb in the 1967 Tdf, there is a huge memorial at the point were he collapsed.
The post mortem found that he had taken amphetamines and alcohol, a diuretic combination which proved fatal when combined with the heat, the hard climb of the Ventoux and a stomach complaint.
Dukester

pab

Post by pab »

Flinty72 wrote:The issue I see for this approach in the future is how do they detect significant changes if a cyclist has been doping all his amatuer life and then comes to the pro peleton, in thoery as long as he continues to dope then no significant change would be detected and he could rightly claim he has a naturally high reading as did Ricco & others do today.
I believe that the approach of the blood passport is a bit more scientific than simply looking at previous blood levels and comparing them with current ones looking for changes though. I've heard mention of things like following blood values through a 3 week tour, I gather there are normal profiles of how an athlete's body usually responds to the workload of something like that, if a rider's body seems to be responding to that workload in an unusual way then they can flag him/her for targeted testing, a rider who seems to breeze through a 3 week tour without any effects on his body has to arouse suspision I think.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Yes your probably right pab as I am looking at this is in very simplistic terms.

As for mechanical doping looks the truth may be known soon enough given the UCI are now invovled:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-to- ... ping-issue" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I really hope it all turns out to be BS otherwise I will be gutted for the sport I dearly love.
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

This guy reckons he has solved the debate....
http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2010/06 ... ttack.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He is either a genius or a wanker.
Dukester

norbs

Post by norbs »

Flinty72 wrote:This guy reckons he has solved the debate....
http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2010/06 ... ttack.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He is either a genius or a wanker.

Jesus, that is some serious number work right there. Also, quite a few assumptions. No idea what to believe. :)
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Well the team is pretty scathing today: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-sa ... cal-doping" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dukester

Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Thats some serious number crunching!

I want to get some cleaning gear. Anyone have any recommendations?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/cycle/7/Clean ... ke/#1,1000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Gizmo wrote: I want to get some cleaning gear. Anyone have any recommendations?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/cycle/7/Clean ... ke/#1,1000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
i have the park tools chain gang kit. works well enough

for the rest i would recommend car wash liquid, using a mag wheel brush for stubborn bits.
dry it off, and got over the frame with Mr Sheen.

CLP
norbs

Post by norbs »

Flinty's recommendation of baby wipes is killer! I would never put them near a babies bum again after seeing what they get off a bike!
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

I use them on my frame but do you use them on your drivetrain too?
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Gizmo there are many philosphies that ppl swear by, hope this doesn't flood you.
I have used those type of chain cleaners before with varied success, the better ones do a pretty good job when you dont' want to remove the chain but not as good as when you do remove it. Make sure you get a name brand one like Park, Finish Line etc.

Personally I use baby wipes on the drivetrain if it is not gunged up with grit. If it is really dirty & gritty then I take the chain off and soak it in a jar/container of some kind which is filled with a 50/50 mix of citrus degreaser & water. Let it soak for 30min to an 1hr giving it a shake every now & again (while you wash the rest of the bike). Then rinse under running water before drying with a clean cloth, installing & re-lubing on the bike.

The real trick is to use a good quality (self-cleaning) lube, most roadies use one of these, Pro-Link or Rock'n'Roll. I am a ProLink fan.
Also use a chain-link to make chain removal a breeze, my choice is a ConnexLink which can be re-used, SRAM also have thier own which is cheaper but it is one use apparently not sure about Campy. I race with one of these so can atest to their quality & durability.

Here are some other tips on cleaning & lubrication all courtesy of CT:
http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2010/02/ ... wash-bike/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2008/12/ ... ng-better/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2008/09/ ... t-they-do/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2008/12/ ... hain-lube/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dukester

CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

i'm also a fan of the Wipperman connex link :)

as far as chain lube goes, i'm happy enough with Triflow.. tends to hang around for a while.

CLP
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Great links Flintmeister!

Someone should give you "The Arse Bicycle" tag :lol:
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Gizmo wrote:Someone should give you "The Arse Bicycle" tag :lol:
Oh Oh, here it comes. :D
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

If you need chain lube then there are specials on here:
http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Progold-Pro ... -for-Bikes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - this is $18 RRP in LBS
http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Bike-Chain- ... 25204#more" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (you may need to have a smaller bottle to apply it though)
Dukester