Mark Skaife Understands Road Saftey

all the ARSE dribble
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Re: Mark Skaife Understands Road Saftey

Post by ysu »

I'd suggest mobile speed cameras to your govt, as an improved money maker :p

In fact I'm all for the fixed ones; they are easy to identify well in time thus easy to avoid. You really need to be somewhere else - mentally - to run into them, especially with the NSW method of 3 warning signs up front.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

ysu wrote:I'd suggest mobile speed cameras to your govt, as an improved money maker :p

In fact I'm all for the fixed ones; they are easy to identify well in time thus easy to avoid. You really need to be somewhere else - mentally - to run into them, especially with the NSW method of 3 warning signs up front.
Warnings? jesus you have it good. they do everything thing that can to hide them here. behind bus seats, bottom of hills, just after a speed limit reduction on the street, around blind corners, and they used to have a bright yellow sign AFTER you went through it. now they dont even need a sign, or if they do have a sign its blue and barely visible. But hey its not revenue raising one bit!

WA Police just got new cameras, i thought they were were speed cameras but there just hand helds for the police on the side of the road. the police dont even need to stop you now to book you. they can just do it later, they expect the reveune to jump from 40mill to 120mill in the first year

http://www.police.wa.gov.au/Aboutus/New ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/50439/ ... ed-cameras" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

ysu wrote:I'd suggest mobile speed cameras to your govt, as an improved money maker :p

I've mentioned this in other threads about speed cameras, here in the UK we have mobile cameras. Their whereabouts are published in the local paper a week in advance and the sites that they "patrol" have signage. If you get caught you deserve it... simple. Police also have ANPR, Automatic Number Plate Recognition, fitted to most traffic cars which pings if it reads a number plate that is on the database which covers Tax, Insurance, MOT or any vehicles known or suspected of being involved in crime. There are also fixed ANPR sites where the feds will spend the day making hay, having a blitz. My guess is that the next stage will be tracker style devices that utilise current sat nav to know where you are, how fast you are going and will be activated by your drivers licence. There might be a few technical issues to resolve but my guess is that's the way it's going. The new government is cutting costs all over including policing, technology is the way for them to go knowing there aren't going to be the bodies on the ground.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Just drove from Sydney to the gold coast.

The m1 is an amazing peice of road, But oh my fucking God is it boring. The speeds are way to low. And you nsw'ers have so much cotton wool padded around you. The speed limits drop for corners over 5 degrees of radius. I ignored them
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

NeilPearson wrote:Just drove from Sydney to the gold coast.

The m1 is an amazing peice of road, But oh my fucking God is it boring. The speeds are way to low. And you nsw'ers have so much cotton wool padded around you. The speed limits drop for corners over 5 degrees of radius. I ignored them
You ignore them at your peril. I've been up north for holidays with friends, and we've seen more than enough cops. My friend got caught speeding by one of them.

But I agree, it's rather boring. Except when you have to watch the speed limit changes up and down as you've mentioned.
Self-driving cars might help in the future...

Nice necro, by the way! ;)
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

I figure that I'd get a fine if a cop caught me.

My favourite parts where when it dropped from 110 to 100 for no reason. Nothing changed in the road. It just dropped.

Or the slogan "locals are dying on country roads, drive closer to zero"

What.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Yep...That is out understanding also Neil.

Less time driving is a good thing.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

NeilPearson wrote: Or the slogan "locals are dying on country roads, drive closer to zero"

What.
My translation: "be cool" :)
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

It's interesting reading back through this thread, has much really changed? The obvious thing to me is probably vehicle safety standards continuing to improve but that doesn't really help old cars. In a way I think car automation will probably be the big thing that will change things for good but it probably also renders some other methods of improving safety moot, or at least causes a situation where there's less reason now to spend big dollars on certain initiatives with autonomous cars just around the corner.

On a different track, I remember visiting Sydney maybe 5 or 6 years ago now. Driving down average suburban streets, the type lined with shop fronts down each side and I had no clue what speed to be doing. The limit seemed to be constantly changing up and down, between 40 & 60 I think and it was quite difficult to pick the signs out with all the shops and everything else.