Mark Skaife Understands Road Saftey

all the ARSE dribble
richo

Re: Mark Skaife Understands Road Saftey

Post by richo »

We should have a cabinet meeting , at a suitable place of course that serves Parma's and chilled drinks..
[]D [] []v[] []D
richo

Post by richo »

Hz-Lab wrote:If i'm going into politics, I want to be one of those seat sniffing types thanks
It would be a travesty if you were not testing the seats of power..
[]D [] []v[] []D
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Hz-Lab wrote:If i'm going into politics, I want to be one of those seat sniffing types thanks
I was going to ask whether you want Upper House or Lower House.

Then it occurred to me you might prefer the out house...
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

as long as i'm "in da house"
vipergod
Dumb ARSE

Post by vipergod »

I'm trying to do my bit in helping slow the road toll
The car club i'm in, teach's kids the basics of driving and i'm one of the instructors. There is nothing around here that that does anything like we do to teach school age kids .
We find that the older kids who have driven with there parents have been shown incorrectly even the basics of how to turn a steering wheel.
So yes education is a must. But you cannot replace good old experiance.
Also did you know that Hitler built the autobahn to employ the masses and also to be able to march to war quickly and easily between east and west
Would explain y it's so heavily reinforced
I don't care what ya say GPL still rocks
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

vipergod wrote:We find that the older kids who have driven with there parents have been shown incorrectly even the basics of how to turn a steering wheel.
I hold the wheel at 9 and 3 (just like I do when I'm racing in LFS/iRacing), but I remember being taught 10 and 2 (which just feels 100% wrong). I guess this could come down to the type of car you drive day to day (I'm driving an 03 Impreza & 05 Liberty).

PS Just had my front shockers replaced in my Impreza and it feels like a new car again, yay! The front right was stuffed and I'd been putting it off for a while because of the cost. But I didn't feel safe driving it and didn't want the little lady driving it like that either. Although she can't tell the difference... *sigh*... even though the front right previously felt like a bouncy castle. ;) Pedders for the win!
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

The ten and two might come from the days of no power assisted steering cars?? There's more leverage from up there.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

AstrO wrote:
vipergod wrote:We find that the older kids who have driven with there parents have been shown incorrectly even the basics of how to turn a steering wheel.
I hold the wheel at 9 and 3 (just like I do when I'm racing in LFS/iRacing), but I remember being taught 10 and 2 (which just feels 100% wrong).
I hold the wheel with my knees, but only when I'm eating a cheeseburger, changing a CD, texting, rolling a cigarette and changing lanes.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

:rofl:

Also changing a track on your iPod, surfing the 'net, perving on sheilas, talking to your mate in the back and adjusting the er...tackle...
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

All whilst flicking the dickhead next to you the bird for not wearing his seatbelt!
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

what.. you drive with your knees also..
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

thought you gave up the ciggies Dex.... :D
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
Virtual-R
Ninja Roy

Post by Virtual-R »

Forgetting the 140kph call which everyone seems to focus on and everything else thrown out the window like it was never mentioned, the licence standards definitely need to be raised.

When I turned 18, getting my licence was the easiest thing I'd ever done, to this day I'd dare say it was still the easiest thing I've ever been tested on. I drove around a block for 10 minutes never exceeding 50kph and did a single 3 point turn. Needless to say after passing I thought I was Peter Brock, seeing as a lot of others had failed their tests. To me I couldn't understand how anybody could fail something so blatantly simple. But still those who failed booked back in and a week later they repeated the test and passed. If you fail you shouldn't be able to just apply again without any additional training, the way they ran the system back then (maybe still today) was more a "try your luck" to pass.

Before passing my P's test I did 5 sessions with a instructor, so about 4 hours maximum of driving on the roads with other people. Sure I'd driven up the farm drifting sideways and crashing into fences n the odd tree for awhile before that, but how being on the actual road with other people for 4 hours can equate to a passed licence is beyond me, especially now being 25 and looking back on it, it was an absolute joke.

During my probationary period, I honestly don't know how I didn't cause a serious accident. The first year I was an absolute nutter as were most of my friends, but the death of one of my best childhood friends at age 19 set me fairly straight, I couldn't even get behind the wheel of a car for awhile after that. I had to actually take driving lessons again when I was already licensed just to get the confidence up to drive normally.

Speaking to almost everyone around my age, we all know someone we grew up with who was killed driving, it also seems that's what fixed the mentality of a lot of us too, pretty sad when that's what it takes to gain some responsibility.

Thing's need an overhaul, the more laws they bring in, the more media rubbish they pay for, more fines they issue won't solve anything. Doesn't matter how poor somebody is or how hard it will be to afford, you should need privately certified on road training by a licensed driving instructor, log booked by the trainer for at least 60 hours before you can even apply for a probationary licence, also making the penalties for instructors faking log book entries extremely harsh too. Without that safe driving will never be taken seriously by new drivers and the dangers they put themselves in will never begin to decrease
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

I read in the paper on Friday that they have passes a new law making it illegal for a P plater under 25 to own a V8, 6 cyl or turbo car.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 5886885470" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 5886887758" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On a side note, my mrs and I were almost cleaned up this morning by a twit turning right at a set of lights. He was attempting to turn on a green where you have no arrow and have to judge the gap, we were going straight thru the intersection. He thought the gap was ok and moved towards our path, then hesitated, then flored it, then stopped...... the fuckwit was too busy talking on his moble phone and not concentrating on the traffic, i had to brake super hard and vere left to avoid contact :melt:
Last edited by KNAPPO on Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

KNAPPO wrote:I read in the paper on Friday that they have passes a new law making it illegal for a P plater under 25 to own a V8, 6 cyl or turbo car.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 5886885470" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 5886887758" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's not going to matter. There will still be speed, it just takes little longer to get there.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

I'd love to see the Luxury Car Tax removed but that'll mean a $600M+/yr loss on revenue for the gov.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Santaria wrote:
KNAPPO wrote:I read in the paper on Friday that they have passes a new law making it illegal for a P plater under 25 to own a V8, 6 cyl or turbo car.

It's not going to matter. There will still be speed, it just takes little longer to get there.
I disagree, it does matter imho. But we'll see I guess.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
petey

Post by petey »

I did 140kmh in an 89 corolla and nearly killed myself and a passenger.

If you ask me I would have been safer in a BMW M3 at that speed.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

petey wrote:I did 140kmh in an 89 corolla and nearly killed myself and a passenger.

In am M3 you probably would have done 240kph. :p
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/sp ... mobcameras

Here comes the next round of failed road trauma assistance...

I am wondering if they seriously think human are really that stupid. So if next year 4 people less die, was that because this worked, or just natural luck... heaven forbid if it increases, we will then have to have every car fitted with a tachograph, at the road users expense of course...

and what happens when that fails??? maybe we could all be forced to hire members of the RTA to chaufer us around... and when that fails, we might try to fix the problem... :)
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
petey

Post by petey »

norbs wrote:
petey wrote:I did 140kmh in an 89 corolla and nearly killed myself and a passenger.

This occurs to me and I can't say whether that would have been the case however I can see why people might think that.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Are these vehicel mounted cameras?

If so we have never gotten rid of them in SA. They are always mounted to the fronts Falcon or Commodore wagons and recently new Camrys, ive learnt what they look like and am always scanning for suspect parked cars. Ive even seen tri pod mounted ones stashed in bushes..... Untill about 12 months ago the police had to place a sign with 100 meters AFTER you passed thru a car mounted camera but after the spate of abuse/attacks on road side cameras in SA this was abolished and the police now dont need to place any signs before or after their road side cameras!

There are a few locations near my house that they are always deployed in and they are not in high risk areas. Two of these are half way down gradual hills and the other is about 50 meters after a 70 zone turns into a 60. If thats not revenue rasing i dont know what is. It seems the police in SA can park one where ever they see fit irrelevant of any crash history statistics or dangerous areas.

Im just glad ive never been caught by one and most people give two flashes of their head lights to warn others of a camera up ahead :)

Most look like this Vic example but the windows are always blacked out with sin visors here in SA so you cant see anyone in the car.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

KNAPPO, yes it is a vehicle mounted camera, we have a lot of them here and most of the time there parked on hills/slopes, 1 in particular is just our side of the cop shop, or some times they don't even leave there car-park and just place the camera out side the gate pointing down the road.
petey wrote:
norbs wrote:
This occurs to me and I can't say whether that would have been the case however I can see why people might think that.
well I feel a hole lot safer in my older m3, then quite a lot of older foldens I have been in.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
petey

Post by petey »

The reason we nearly died evidentally wasn't even the speed, my rear brakes randomly decided to lock. Even if I was doing 80 it still wouldnt have been fun, however I was in the middle of a slight bend and obviously the equivalent of pulling a handbrake on made it quite out of control and 140 was excessive.

So never bought a car with drum brakes since... point still remains here I was stupid as shit and going way too fast in a car that is 4 cyl and its top speed is probably 160.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

hence the orig vid says you need to buy newer cars for young drivers, IIRC. (altho a car which locks the rear brakes is plain faulty. and it does not have anything to do with the drum brakes either, I reckon; I've been driving drum-brake cars for ages, never had a rear lockup)
take notice, not high power cars, but newer ones. An old crap is always an old crap and if you spin in front of a truck you really don't need to go too fast to die
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?