Mark Skaife Understands Road Saftey

all the ARSE dribble
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Re: Mark Skaife Understands Road Saftey

Post by ysu »

durbster wrote: What bothers me about it is that it suggests the journalism is being influenced, and that the pieces are written or edited to give weight to the current road safety campaigns. To me, that isn't a pleasant place for journalism to be in and it makes me question everything. It's not exactly North Korea of course, and it could just be down to poor journalism but it still makes me incredibly sceptical about the validity of the news.
And you should be. The amount of garbage flowing out of the media is so enormous, there should be a spam filter applied at the source level.
They put forward absolute rubbish opinions and speculations as "facts" quite often, etc...etc...
I'm sure there are correct people there, but they seem to be lost in the flow of faeces.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

ysu, I'd modestly suggest you read the examples I posted. You can see for yourself specific examples of how things are reported and who the sources are that we quote.

Now if you have some specific comments you'd like to make about the reports I have referenced then I'm all ears but such sweeping generalisations add nothing to the debate.

You're entitled to your opinion but we are not liars nor are we in the business of confirming your prejudices.
ysu wrote:there should be a spam filter applied at the source level.
Ummm...aren't you one of those leading the charge against the government's internet filter on the grounds that it interferes with freedom of speech...? :prod:
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

You're quick to jump to the conclusion I was talking about you.
Well I was - when I mentioned there' are correct people in the business. :)
But I've seen a lot, heard a lot, and experienced a lot. Maybe not as much as you, but enough to know not take anything at face value from the media.

You can try to argue with this, but you can't change my opinion easily. Sorry.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

ysu wrote:You're quick to jump to the conclusion I was talking about you.
I didn't. That's why I referred to the examples I quoted. But I am part of it.
You can try to argue with this, but you can't change my opinion easily. Sorry.
That's a matter for you.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

petey

Post by petey »

Seems funny to me that in Media class I studied in tassie the only thing we focused on was everything that JD argues against.

Essentially Media Watch was our leader.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

I was interested to hear a media student tell me the other day about how crews are told to "bait" people outside courts to get "better" shots...Most of us have a well developed sense of self preservation, especially if it involves crims.

I don't know what they teach people in media classes these days but I'd be really interested to sit in on a few.

petey

Post by petey »

I'm 100% certain nothing we learnt would be relevant in any part of the industry. One of the fundamental issues of school for media.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

J.D. wrote:I was interested to hear a media student tell me the other day about how crews are told to "bait" people outside courts to get "better" shots...Most of us have a well developed sense of self preservation, especially if it involves crims.

I don't know what they teach people in media classes these days but I'd be really interested to sit in on a few.
There have been a few documented cases of this recently... two things, the baiting and the careful editing that says all the same words but puts it in a way way way different context than it was actually said...

Many many many years ago I remember seeing a documentary on Michael Jackson that was really quite normal, and he actually appeared to be quite sane, friendly and very concerned, caring and like I said really quite normal... then about 18 months later some people made some accusations regarding him, and that very same footage and interview is now the very "true Hollywood story" that is aired on foxtel from time to time... yet interestingly the context of that interview has now changed dramatically...

That is when I started to question what the media feeds the nevilles in suburbia land....
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
Gusto

Post by Gusto »

petey wrote:Seems funny to me that in Media class I studied in tassie the only thing we focused on was everything that JD argues against.

Essentially Media Watch was our leader.
Doesn't sound like a good class; all sides to a story should be investigated, including thinking both inside and outside of the box. Media Watch is good though.
petey wrote:I'm 100% certain nothing we learnt would be relevant in any part of the industry. One of the fundamental issues of school for media.
Relevant, yes; Useful, not so much (still haven't gotten a full time job from my media.hons degree, but that's another story).
J.D. wrote:I don't know what they teach people in media classes these days but I'd be really interested to sit in on a few.
It would vary a lot from school to school, depending if the focus is on analysis or on production.

I love this forum - so many brainy ARSEs. :vibes:
bengatta

Post by bengatta »

Gusto wrote:I love this forum - so many brainy ARSEs. :vibes:
and the best bit is we can all convince ourselves that we are 100% correct at all times.... differing opinions notwithstanding... :D
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

petey

Post by petey »

Hahaha well if you believe my old English teacher we are all correct as truth is relative jimmy boy.
bengatta

Post by bengatta »

petey wrote:Hahaha well if you believe my old English teacher we are all correct as truth is relative jimmy boy.
i find that statement to be incorrect.... :D

petey

Post by petey »

bengatta wrote:
petey wrote:Hahaha well if you believe my old English teacher we are all correct as truth is relative jimmy boy.
Well you'd be fucking wrong. Its the truth.

:lol:
Montey

Post by Montey »

petey wrote:
bengatta wrote:
Well you'd be fucking wrong. Its the truth.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Use this instead:
stfu.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

petey

Post by petey »

LOL that cat gets me everytime.
bengatta

Post by bengatta »

petey wrote:LOL that cat gets me everytime.
I agree...

see how it works... :D

petey

Post by petey »

bengatta wrote:
petey wrote:LOL that cat gets me everytime.
I agree...

see how it works... :D
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Sorry to bring this up again but I think it's quite relevant :)

The new Government here has dropped funding for speed cameras and by an amazing coincidence, local authorities have begun to admit that speed cameras are not the answer to road safety after all, and some are removing them completely in favour of more effective ways of improving road safety.

To me that's quite compelling evidence that their installation on safety grounds was a load of bollocks.
bengatta

Post by bengatta »

no need to apologise for bringing up a thread where a debate with JD is all but guarenteed... it is an enjoyable challenge... :D

Now back to your government BS...

You heard them say it has not improved safety so we are removing them, and you have bought that hook line and sinker...

What they really said if you listen carefully... we are removing the speed camera's because they have become costly to maintain and revenue no longer justifies this maintaenance so we are about to introduce a new more effective measure to extract money from you... :D

wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

yay.. now is the money going to the back spots or plants and gardens.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Virtual-R
Ninja Roy

Post by Virtual-R »

Seen something on NZ news the other day about this stretch of road with a huge amount of crashes happening constantly. They interviewed an MP in charge of transport and she was saying they will approach it by adding a round about and improving the roads in the area to reduce the risk. The newsreader was going nuts telling her to put in speed cameras or drop the speed limit dramatically, to which she declared most times lowering the speed limit will not work as people will simply ignore it, and that improving the roads was the main way to avoid future problems.

Wish we could get someone in charge here that would head in the same direction
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

bengatta wrote: What they really said if you listen carefully... we are removing the speed camera's because they have become costly to maintain and revenue no longer justifies this maintaenance so we are about to introduce a new more effective measure to extract money from you... :D
This :nod:
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

bengatta wrote:no need to apologise for bringing up a thread where a debate with JD is all but guarenteed... it is an enjoyable challenge... :D
Hey, if they can come up with better ideas, I'm all for it. Let's wait and see what they do.

Personally, I'd take a bet that if they can't make a profit from something, they'll just get rid of it.

Governments run like a business these days. They invest money in speed cameras and hope to turn a profit. Not much else to it really.