Solar panels.

all the ARSE dribble
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: Solar panels.

Post by norbs »

smithcorp wrote:So, I got a letter from Dept of Industry about the ending of the solar feed in tariff plan in NSW at the end of December 2016. Haven't been contacted by Energy Australia yet as my provider, but it looks like my 60c per KwH will go down to about 6c. I have about $500 in credit on my EA account at the moment and my plan is to possibly increase the number of panels we have as part of a house extension, and go for battery storage.

Likely to be a boom time for people 'doing something' about their panels with the solar bonus scheme ending, so not sure whether to start arranging things now, or wait a bit. I figure at the least I'll need to replace my inverter/controller thingy and probably get a smart meter.

So, anyone know who is offering deals on battery storage installations?

Batteries are still a ways off for me Smiss. The good thing is, there are alternatives.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/03/aussi ... he-market/

http://www.panasonic.com/au/consumer/en ... sk84a.html

But the ROI is not something to make a blokes pants swell.

I am hoping the technology keeps moving forward at an exponential rate and these things become more affordable.

I would be asking about net FIT Smiss. At least that way you are getting the same value for your solar generated. I expect that 6c/kWh is gross. Go to a smart meter and switch to net, and i reckon you will be far better off. if you can that is.

What i would really like is a time of usage meter, and batteries that you can charge in the dead of night when the cost is low, and then run off batteries and use solar to keep them topped up during the day. So you are paying the cheapest rate for the power off the grid and using solar to keep them topped up during the day.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Cheers norbs - I knew you'd have the latest info. The solar choice website suggests that retro-fitting batteries to an existing solar system would take 20 years to pay off (this assumes that the issue is purely financial). While when we do our extension I am hoping we could put another 3kw of panels on the roof, I think batteries might be a step too far.

I'll look into the net tariff question some more. I'm confused based on what I've read. We use most of our power at night, so wouldn't net tariff pay us for the times we are using power least?
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

http://sciencenewsjournal.com/future-so ... raindrops/
A new solar cell prototype developed by a team of scientists in Qingdao, China may change the way we use solar panels in the not so distant future.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

https://cosmosmagazine.com/technology/a ... ncy-record
Australian scientists smash solar cell efficiency record
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-27/s ... ng/7664450

So, this bloke has paid $16k up front (or on a loan) for panels + battery, and his daily electricity bill has gone from $5 or $6 ,to 59 cents. So, let's exaggerate and say a $6 / day saving. At that rate, it will take him 2666 days to "get his money back". That is 7.3 years!

But how long will the batteries and panels be efficient for after 7 years?

I can not see how any of this (even solar panels by them self) make economic sense. Just imagine how much interest you could earn off of that (at average of $8k investment over 7 years @ 5% pa compounded (roughly equal to my mortgage) you could make about $3250).

Other than "being green", am I missing something here?
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
pab

Post by pab »

Yeah, you're missing how much electricity prices will increase over those 7.3 years.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

pab wrote:Yeah, you're missing how much electricity prices will increase over those 7.3 years.
Good point. Would be interesting to see the price of electricity over the past 10 years, and its projected price over the next 10. But - is it worth spending $10k+ on today?

How long generally do these systems last? Does their efficiency start to trail off linearly over time? Exponentially? Can they be serviced and brought back to 100% efficiency? (In relation to their as-new efficiency levels).

On another note, do you think solar panel and battery technology will improve also over the next few years and end up becoming significantly cheaper?
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
norbs

Post by norbs »

pab wrote:Yeah, you're missing how much electricity prices will increase over those 7.3 years.
This, in bold!

I am looking into doing something similar.

The problem is for my circumstances, the outlay is a hurdle. But with competition in the battery market, prices will drop and all will be good.

In ten years, this will be common.
norbs

Post by norbs »

plastik8 wrote:
Good point. Would be interesting to see the price of electricity over the past 10 years, and its projected price over the next 10. But - is it worth spending $10k+ on today?

How long generally do these systems last? Does their efficiency start to trail off linearly over time? Exponentially? Can they be serviced and brought back to 100% efficiency? (In relation to their as-new efficiency levels).

On another note, do you think solar panel and battery technology will improve also over the next few years and end up becoming significantly cheaper?

My current 1.9kWh system cost about $8500. For the same money I could get 5x the system today (http://www.dollarsolar.com.au/residenti ... Amd88P8HAQ)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Also, if you are actually using the electricity in the day you can ditch the battery - which is a huge chunk of the cost - and get some quicker return.
I also think panel technology will get better, indeed.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

norbs wrote:
This, in bold!
With modern technology you can do that instead of just describing it.
:lol:
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

And for the refurb point, you can add, swap or change the whole battery configuration as your needs/wants change.

Norbs, are you still with the power buyback as well? like .60c a KW.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

norbs

Post by norbs »

wobblysauce wrote:And for the refurb point, you can add, swap or change the whole battery configuration as your needs/wants change.

Norbs, are you still with the power buyback as well? like .60c a KW.

Yep, til years end. My panels clicked over $10,000 earned a couple of months ago.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

So for the same money now you could of gotten a better system, but on the other hand.. in that time they have also paid for themselves and then some.. which others will not or very slowly. Think last person I heard getting it was .06c KW before the cut off.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

0.06c / kW? Are you sure? Wasn't it 6 cents / kW? I'd not bother with six hundredth of a cent per kW that's for sure
Above you said 6 tenths of a cent, too, so I'm confused.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Shit yeah!

wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

ysu, Yes 0.06c or 6cents, just written like the above for 0.60c for 60cents.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Ok how about this for the (hopefully near) future:
http://futurism.com/new-solar-energy-ha ... -at-night/
norbs

Post by norbs »

ysu wrote:Ok how about this for the (hopefully near) future:
http://futurism.com/new-solar-energy-ha ... -at-night/
Exciting times for sure.

I am desperate for a way to store heat to turn into electricity. Even on a small scale. Even in winter on sunny days you could capture a lot of heat from direct sunlight. Or use that heat to heat the house in winter.

I have often thought about building one of these, but not sure how well it would go.

wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Go to watch the video and it is already liked :P.. yep thought I seen this guy before.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

norbs

Post by norbs »

Thanks to Macca for the link. Interesting idea.

http://www.thefifthestate.com.au/energy ... iffs/84075
norbs

Post by norbs »

smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Yes, I saw this - it is great news and really makes the case stronger. When our extensions start, we aim to include additional panels and get a battery pack sorted. This will make it easier to justify the investment.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I saw that a few days ago, too.

What their calculation says is that you'll about hit even after 10 years, with that specified setup & usage, correct?
I haven't analysed their numbers, just trying to make sense of it.

I should install one, too - but the electricity is still so bloody cheap...
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

sure it takes 10 years, but the benefit of not having a Bill come in, and no blackouts. be killer