steam holiday sale is on

all the ARSE dribble
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

steam holiday sale is on

Post by ysu »

steam holiday sale is on
it does not look as epic as last time 'round though...
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
pab

Re: steam holiday sale is on

Post by pab »

I thought about F1 2010 at $30 for about 2 minutes, then decided I'd rather wait for next year when it'll be $5. Would I be right in saying that very few here are still playing it, everyone has moved on to GT5?

I've heard everyone rave about Deus Ex, it's only a couple of dollars, so what is it about it that would convince me to part with my little gold coin?
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Deus Ex was very engrossing for me because it had a good story with a lot of background info. It's also a good mix of stealth and action fps. Graphics would be pretty dated now, but I think it would be worth the money. I think it took me 40 hours on my first play through, but that's scrounging through every nook and cranny.

Invisible War is the epitome of a bad console port.

I came across a site that lists all the games on sale
http://didimatic.com/dd/en/onsale/steam ... descending" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nothing that interests me at this point, but it's only day 1 :)
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

pab wrote: I've heard everyone rave about Deus Ex, it's only a couple of dollars, so what is it about it that would convince me to part with my little gold coin?
It's awesome. :D

I haven't played it in over 10 years though and it looked dated then so I'm not sure what mods are around to make it look better but the story was amazing and the game play very open. For $2 I'd just go for it, play the first mission and see what you think - I'm pretty sure there's at least 3 ways through that level alone, if not more.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
pab

Post by pab »

Ok, I'll give it a go, i'll be gaming like it's 1999.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Mass Effect 2 for me - for $30 it's all right...
And I haven't done the deus ex myself, either, so for $3 why not ;) It's the price of one coffee ffs :D
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

there are a few graphical updates for Deus Ex Floating around. sadly not one of them is really "complete" as they say. haa.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-new-vision" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I played through it about a year ago now. was awesome.

edit

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-nameless- ... -with-mods" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

better
Mr.Ferret

Post by Mr.Ferret »

Deus ex is the reason i want to become a game designer.

It is the best mix of freedom, and linear-ness (its a word now) in a game ever. You have so much choice on how to tackle each objective and despite the dated graphics its so immersive in the progression between missions and how each mission evolves over time.

I play it at least once a year and always find something new or something i missed.

Play it on realistic and play it stealth, and its just amazing.
iRacing Name - Joshua Brown2
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I also picked up Deus Ex although I might have the install cd still floating around somewhere, for a few bucks you might as well. I don't think I ever finished it all the way through way back when, it was quite long and I think I kinda lost interest.
I also got Prince of Persia: Sands of Time for about $3 cause I remember hearing about it a long time ago and for something a bit different. Likewise with Freedom Force, I remember reading about how good this was back at the time but never tried it. I'd recommend to have a look at this one, less than $2 and a metascore of 90, bit of a hidden gem I reckon.
I'll be checking back everyday during this sale :D
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

yeah, the first prince of persia was a fun piece. Altho it has a bit too much emphasis on the fights already. I've seen one sequel but that was way overboard, fight only, pretty much.

And thanks for the tip, I'll check that freedom force as well!
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

$5 for The Witcher today. There's a bargain.

Might grab Puzzle Quest. I enjoyed it on PSP, but it had a bug which they never fixed for that platform.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I got addicted to Puzzle Quest on PC. Still haven't finished PQ2 though. Lots of hours can be sucked into those games - I usually have it open on a spare monitor when I'm doing work on the other two, just as a nice little distraction.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Had a look and PQ2 is only $6.69, so I bought both :)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I have to say, deus ex is amazing for a 10yo game. The plot, the maps and even some game features are way over most current games (go into the wrong toilet and at the next briefing boss mentions that you shouldn't embarrass the agency!).
It's bug free, sound & voice-over is excellent, it has a great atmosphere. The gfx is dated. Who cares.
I would be much happier seeing these sort of games popping up than any Deep Space-sort.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

ysu wrote:I have to say, deus ex is amazing for a 10yo game. The plot, the maps and even some game features are way over most current games (go into the wrong toilet and at the next briefing boss mentions that you shouldn't embarrass the agency!).
It's bug free, sound & voice-over is excellent, it has a great atmosphere. The gfx is dated. Who cares.
I would be much happier seeing these sort of games popping up than any Deep Space-sort.
The A.I is shit, but its another thing to look past because the rest of the game just Rocks
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

You know I entered this thread thinking there was a holiday about steam. I was thinking WTF, but looked in anyway. Now I see its something very different, I am still thinking WTF but for a whole new reason. What exactly is "steam" ?
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Shirley you can't be serious.

http://store.steampowered.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Nigel wrote:You know I entered this thread thinking there was a holiday about steam. I was thinking WTF, but looked in anyway. Now I see its something very different, I am still thinking WTF but for a whole new reason. What exactly is "steam" ?
I'd never have thought that someone who's on the net every day have not yet heard about steam...

Well, it's a convenient way to acquire some games - and sometimes bloody cheap too. Eg, now, some games are reduced to levels where it's a real bargain (not all on sale are, though)
Then you download the steam client, and you can d/l your games whenever you want to, and since usually all the protection is the steam client itself, you can install it on multiple computers as well. The only criteria; you can't log onto steam on two computers at the same time (so you can only play those games on two computers simultaneously which does not require online connection. Do this by running steam in offline mode)

All in all it's a great thing, the annoying thing is they allow region-restrictions for publishers; which they use for maximum effect too. The result is that we're to pay 1.5-2x as much for some games. Avoid those and just go to http://www.ozgameshop.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ;)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

what might be of interest today (sadly I'm past both already :) ):
trials 2 for $2.50 - it's good fun for a while.
assassin's creed for $15 - bit consolitis, and becomes repetitive, but good fun for a while, too.

Any tips, guys? I can't see anything else of interest...
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Not much today, assasins creed 2 as you say ysu, but tbh i found the first one very meh after a few hours and took it back to EB for a refund.

I got the square/edios Pack yesterday. some pretty decent games in there that i never botherd to play when they were new. theif 4 just cause 2, kane and lynch to name a few
Montey

Post by Montey »

Day of Defeat: Source is up there for US$2.50.

Should I grab it?
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Montey wrote:Day of Defeat: Source is up there for US$2.50.

Should I grab it?
The aussie DoD:S community is small. But the WAD server is almost always full, so getting a game isn't entirely out of the question.

For $2.50, its a steal.
Montey

Post by Montey »

r8response wrote:
Montey wrote:Day of Defeat: Source is up there for US$2.50.

Should I grab it?
The aussie DoD:S community is small. But the WAD server is almost always full, so getting a game isn't entirely out of the question.

For $2.50, its a steal.
What's its single player like? I hate multi-player these days.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

i think its only mulitplayer?
Montey

Post by Montey »

yeah, looks like it.