watches

all the ARSE dribble
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

watches

Post by Nigel »

So my misses, knowing that I am a watch fan, bought me a new watch, a Tissot Sea-Touch. Must admit I was pretty surprised at it coming out of the blue; but I am very impressed with it. Its way way bigger than my Tag Heuer Formula 1 Watch that I have had for 20 years and it is a lot more complicated than the old tag. Sure its not as dressy as my longines but its by far my fave watch. Are there any other watch collectors here ?

[youtube] [/youtube]
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Re: watches

Post by kwijibo »

I use my mobile to check the time these days
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

lol me too. Havent worn a watch for years

That said, I would like a Tag or a Rolex in my drawer for occasional wear. Nice Nige :up:
--------------
Stu
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Seeing I grew up with a mobile, have never really had a nice dress watch..

Been thinking of getting one
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

i was obsessed with watches when i was young, and then just stopped wearing them sometime in my late teens. Now i just use my phone. I tend to not wear anything on me like watches or jewellery, it seems to really annoy me.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Nigel wrote:So my misses, knowing that I am a watch fan, bought me a new watch, a Tissot Sea-Touch. Must admit I was pretty surprised at it coming out of the blue; but I am very impressed with it. Its way way bigger than my Tag Heuer Formula 1 Watch that I have had for 20 years and it is a lot more complicated than the old tag. Sure its not as dressy as my longines but its by far my fave watch. Are there any other watch collectors here ?

How many misses have you had?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Same. I bought a watch about 6 years ago but haven't it for 5 years. I don't even have a phone so sun dial for me. Screwed when it gets dark though.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

I feel naked without a watch on. And at the moment both of my watches have flat batteries! bah.

My favourites are Omega's I love those watches, sadly I cannot afford one yet.
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

I've had a Tag 1000 Professional for 30 years, just keeps going, wouldn't change it for the world (even though there's a couple on e-Bay going for around £6-700) :vibes:

Mine's slightly worn :D (worn pretty much every day for 30 years) so not worth quite as much :(
Last edited by Johnny X on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I have only just started wearing a watch... When I was a kid I liked them, but stopped wearing one when I was about 13. I don't have anything kick-ass, I just decided one day that I wouldn't mind a nice looking watch to wear. In this age of massively quick computers and smaller and smaller technology like smart phones, watches seem to be kind of obsolete. However, there's something quite endearing about the aesthetics of an analogue watch.

It's really nothing special, one day I'll get a decent quality Seiko, or Tag etc.. but got myself this for $105 reduced down from $249.

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I'm in the no-watch camp as well. I can't tolerate anything hanging on me just like Woodsy, sadly.
Some can look nice. Altho I'd prefer the flat sleek types, not these big hunks. My bro had a Rado a while ago, now that was very elegant.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Stopped wearing watches about 10 years ago. Don't have a mobile either. There are so many clocks about the place that I find I don't need to carry one around. I certainly don't need to be checking the time every 5 mins, or every 30 seconds when I'm waiting for a bus like I used to do. I find I'm more relaxed without one, and the bus never seems to be so late.

I also prefer simple/sleek designs. Never liked the big chunky diving watch style things.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I've got a £10 watch from amazon :)

I don't have a need to reply on a smartphone for anything so I don't have one. just a simple mobile. So I need a watch otherwise I tend to feel a bit 'lost' without one. It's cheap, plastic and digital but it tells the time just fine. I only need to correct it about once a year. If I had the cash though I like the Breitling type watches with lots of little dials on them and Hublots where you can see the inner workings.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

I have a nice looking dkny silver watch to wear out but it's too heavy to wear all the time. I'd love to get a nice watch to wear to work etc but they're so expensive!!
w00dsy

Re: Re: watches

Post by w00dsy »

Big Kev wrote:I've got a £10 watch from amazon :)

I don't have a need to reply on a smartphone for anything so I don't have one. just a simple mobile. So I need a watch otherwise I tend to feel a bit 'lost' without one. It's cheap, plastic and digital but it tells the time just fine. I only need to correct it about once a year. If I had the cash though I like the Breitling type watches with lots of little dials on them and Hublots where you can see the inner workings.

Your brain is smarter than any phone anyway, so its pointless.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I've always worn watches. Feel lost without them. Giselle got me a Nico Rosberg Oris for my 30th. Considering the price it really should just be a dress watch but I wear it every day so I guess I get my money's worth out of it.

"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

I use to love watches, never went anywhere without one. I have 2 now both with broken bands and i can't be arsed fixing them.

On a recent Virgin flight I was reading their crappy magazine and there was an article on different watches... this one I thought was just ludicrous.
Hublot-MP-02-Key-of-Time.jpg
Hublot MP-02 Key of Time. The price listed in the magazine was about $250,000!!! Fark me!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

It would be cheaper to employ someone to tell you the time.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Those ultra-expensive creations are usually two things in one: design exercises and investment pieces.

Nobody wears a $250,000 watch (if they've got any brains). Usually they buy it, put it in a safe and then sell it 5 years later for double what they paid for it.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

The most amazing thing about this thread is that some people don't have mobile phones!
macca
Founder
Founder

Post by macca »

I'm not fully dressed without a watch :p especially during working hours.

My missus bought me an Armani watch a coup[le of years ago after my old Tissot started getting a bit rundown

For good I have a simple Longines.

I was at an auction a week or so ago & there was qan old Brietling available, I was prepared to go to $500 but they opened at $3K, so that was me gone :p apparently, or so they say, the owner paid $6K a few years ago.

There are some good Swiss replica watch sites around, far more affordable without being the asian knockoff rubbish.

Like all things really, you get what you pay for.
I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zedmacca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dan
Wobbly2.0

Post by Dan »

macca wrote:I'm not fully dressed without a watch :p especially during working hours.

My missus bought me an Armani watch a coup[le of years ago after my old Tissot started getting a bit rundown

For good I have a simple Longines.

I was at an auction a week or so ago & there was qan old Brietling available, I was prepared to go to $500 but they opened at $3K, so that was me gone :p apparently, or so they say, the owner paid $6K a few years ago.

There are some good Swiss replica watch sites around, far more affordable without being the asian knockoff rubbish.

Like all things really, you get what you pay for.
I assume you're rocking one of these now?

The Todd Norbury appreciation society
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Apart from a wedding ring, a watch is the only jewelry I wear, even though I have a mobile phone! :)

This is my daily watch - a Mondaine. The design is of the clocks in Swiss railway stations. All the clocks are coordinated through a pulse, so they all move their minute hands in a single movement at the same time. The watches used to have a movement called "stop to go" which replicated that. The minute hand would stay put, the second hand would sweep around and when it got to the "12" position, the second hand would then jump to the next minute.

Mine finally busted and couldn't be repaired or replaced. I currently wear one with a normal quartz movement. Pity, it was a real conversation piece.
mondaine.jpg
I also have one of these - a Fossil Frank Gehry. It uses his handwriting to "tell" the time. Neat. It also says "noon" and "midnight".
frank-gehry-fossil-watch.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

I like both those watches smith.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

watches

Post by DexterPunk »

A lot of these watches seem very pricey. Interesting given some of the responses about spending large amounts of money on yourself in the leather jacket thread I posted.