Kayak Love

all the ARSE dribble
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: Kayak Love

Post by w00dsy »

i don't know, but i now understand why the turtles were sitting on trees.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

w00dsy wrote:I've also found a kayaking subreddit and just saw this video, i assumed it was just turtles until......

[youtube] [/youtube]
Awesome :D :yikes:

I know that's from the States but seeing videos like that makes me want to go back to Oz :(

I get the impression alligators aren't as aggressive as your grumpy arsed Australian crocs. We were told several times that a croc could easily mistake a kayak for a rival so they're possibly the worst choice of boat to be in when they're around.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Hi is remarkably calm about it. I would have been shouting my head off. They call that kayak colour yum-yum yellow. Some folk on the kayak fishing forums think it attracts bities.

The kayaker is a bit of a knucklehead - he hasn't got a paddle leash that I can see, so if he dropped his paddle while hitting at the shark he would have been in some trouble.
Montey

Post by Montey »

Does anyone have any opinion on these things?

http://www.ozinflatablekayaks.com.au/st ... tablekayak

I would like to do some kayaking (fishing) in Victor Habor, but it would be a once a year exercise; and I don't have the ability to transport a rigid kayak.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

No direct experience with it Montey, but a look at some kayak fishing forums/sites I know suggest it is a good boat. Only issue seems to be not very good tracking, but that's no surprise for an inflatable and not a fatal flaw.

Not sure if you found this site, but it has some good thorough comments: http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showRev ... ?prod=2029

My summary, looks like a very good boat for what you want to do.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Gents, looking for a kayak for the wifey and maybe myself, too, since we're living practically next to the creek (100m walk). I have zero experience in watersports and I'm wondering if you have any recommendation on what to get?

We need something light enough so she can manage alone, but big enough that the 4yo daughter can join in. I'm thinking 2 single seaters instead of one bigger, that gives us flexibility. Something stable, good for beginners.
That's how far I got, really :)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Agree that two singles will make more sense and be a lot more portable, than a double.

Plastic sit-on-top kayaks are most practical and there are quite a few that can accommodate a small kid on the back deck (or have adjustable seats so a kid can paddle it); and which are stable (hull design for these things has come a long way and most are very competent). They won't fill up with water and sink, and can easily be flipped over again if you fall out. You can tie them down to your roofracks and they won't crack.

Look for boats that weigh less than 30 kg so you can lift it onto the roof of the car. Get a bright colour - the most dangerous thing on the water is powerboat and jetski drivers. Make sure they can see you.

Most outdoor shops like BCF should have a good range - check the weight limits - and a good shop will let you test some out.

In terms of brands, there are a lot around. Hobie is the best in my view and if you look at the paddle and pedal versions they are very easy to use (though not cheap).

Here's one brand I've looked at:

Australis Ocky. Cheap, small, light - was looking at this for my eldest daughter. They have bigger versions too - look pretty sturdy and stack inside each other for travel: http://www.outdoorsandbeyondcamping.com ... ralis-ocky

And the Hobies:

http://www.hobiecat.com.au/paddle/quest-11/

http://www.hobiecat.com.au/mirage/mirage-sport/

Make sure you get (either thrown in, or as extras):

PFDs - absolutely critical. It is easy to get in trouble on the water. Lightweight kayaks can get blown away from you by the wind much faster than you can swim. A PFD can save your life, don't ever go out without wearing one

Paddle leashes - essential in my view. If your paddle gets away with you, you can be in big strife.

Hope this helps

smith
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Thanks for the tips, Smith!
I reckon that Ocky is perfect for a start, I could not even find a local price for the Hobie (~$1000 US overseas), I think it's just too much for a casual starter :)

PFD was never a question, I can't swim properly :) Never thought about the paddle leashes, though. Thanks!
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

After a few years of fitting a kiddie on the back of my single-seater, we have decided to upgrade to a family truckster. We are looking at a Hobie Tandem Island, an amazingly versatile trimaran kayak with a big sail, pedals and the ability to remove the outriggers and paddle or pedal as a two-seater sit-on-top.

I'd seen one of these things out on the Georges River last year, with an entire family on board, including dogs, out on the tramps.

http://www.hobiecat.com.au/mirage/mirage-tandem-island/

The fam and I arranged a test sail of one of them with the dealers down in South Nowra. We met them at Plantation Point in Jervis Bay on a perfect Saturday morning, helped rig it and then I took Ava and Ruby out for a test sail. First impressions, this thing is big - I went to pick up the back to help get it in the water and I was unprepared for just how heavy it was - my puny arm almost pulled out of its socket and instead of lifting and walking, I shuffled hunched over, dragging the rear over the sand. The website says rigged weight is 109 kgs, but it felt heavier than that!

Second impression - incredible. Pedaled out into deeper water with a breeze, pointed up into the wind, unfurled the sail and we were away. In light winds this thing just glided over the water, with Ava in the front and Ruby out on the tramp. The kids loved it and we could have just sailed off into the blue.

After our try, the dealer offered to take Bibi and the girls out while I looked after Bob (we didn't have a pfd for him) and he took this video. They also got to have a play in stiffer winds, as the breeze had freshened by then.

Now we just have to commit the coin and the space to it...

smiss
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

What's something like that worth?
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Bit scary - about $10K including trailer and tramps...
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

That looks killer fun, so good for the kids.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

smithcorp wrote:Bit scary - about $10K including trailer and tramps...
Including tramps? That's a bit scary indeed. :D
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Fucking hell!

Great video :D
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

What about some Hydrofoil love?

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

That is amazing.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

To revive this thread; I've got into kayaking a bit lately, still just on a beginner level, but I'm enjoying it. Since the creek is next door, and only 2kms to the lake, I can take the kayak out a few times a week and have some good fun, or go for a longer one when I feel like it. I've bought one of these "Hurricane Santee 116" recreational ones after the starter plastic, and it's not bad but after a few months I'm already thinking of getting a "proper" sport kayak, hehe.

Love the lake, it's so nice, quiet and peaceful out there...
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Nice ysu. I bought a sit-in sea kayak last year and took it down the coast after Christmas. Had the most amazing experience at Currarong. Launched off th beach on an incredibly calm and glassy day. The water was so clear that even 100m off the shore, i could see every link in the chain holding a mooring bouy, even where the chain was on the bottom. It was like floating on a block of greenish glass. Until the breeze came up and ruffled the surface it was an other-worldly experience, like there was nothing holding me up. Amazing - could see rocks, fish everything in quite deep water. Satisfying.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Wow, that sounds incredible!

I've only been out in bays and river deltas, I dared not to go onto the ocean - I'm a beginner, and besides, I don't swim well. :)
But it was great fun on the Clarence river during our recent holidays in Yamba. I've got a relative who loves to paddle a bit, too, and so we went out every day; just packed a few beers first :D
richo

Post by richo »

I want a Hobie pedal kayak but I cant bring myself to drop the coin on it , my tinnie with a 20hp cost less than a Hobie Pro Angler.

Still very tempted..
[]D [] []v[] []D
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Been out today, it was a magical day. Water was very calm, weather nice.
I went around the peninsula here, clocked up 13kms in 2.5hrs. Good paddle.

This is what it looked like

On a sidenote, anyone knows a program that can take a bloody screenshot on android? I wanted to screenshot my track for the day, and I just can't.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Cant you just hold down the lock screen button for a second or so and do it there?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.