Kayak Love

all the ARSE dribble
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: Kayak Love

Post by w00dsy »

pixelboy wrote:You should take it fishing sometime!

http://media.smh.com.au/system/ipad/kay ... 35688.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

that's cool. I'm keen to get a kayak at the moment. My work mate is pretty good on them and always has his on the roof for an after work paddle, and on nice days i get rather jealous. Last year he went from Wilsons Prom to Tassie, stopping at islands on the way across. He was doing about 50km a day. Would be great to be that good.
EzyRider

Post by EzyRider »

Now that the kayak season is drawing to a close, this is a good time to go bargain hunting for them.. my boss just offered me 20 of these for a rock bottom price (below his cost in fact), saying that if I wanted to, I could do some backyard dealings..

I suggest that if you wanted to buy one, now would be the near perfect time to go look around, and don't pay listed price.. talk them down, they'll all be looking to clear stock from the season. Just letting you all know ;)

(Also, if you want a Perception Rambler, you know who to come talk to :D )
Middle Pack Racing Watch your mirrors!

Norbs on Germaine Greer: "..that crusty old slag can tongue kiss my quivering sphincter muscle, fuck her and the pretentious boat she fucking sailed in on."
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Can the Rambler be outfitted with fishing gear Ezy?
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

How much are they worth Ezy?
EzyRider

Post by EzyRider »

Vilante wrote:Can the Rambler be outfitted with fishing gear Ezy?
Sure can mate.. they're the ones we used to kit out with the rod holders etc.
smithcorp wrote:How much are they worth Ezy?
Retail value is around $500.. you'd get enough change out of that to take the missus out for a decent feed at a quality nosebag joint.
(About $350 plus postage)

Norbs on Germaine Greer: "..that crusty old slag can tongue kiss my quivering sphincter muscle, fuck her and the pretentious boat she fucking sailed in on."
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Very interesting!! Can they be fitted with the pedal system or is that another craft all together?
EzyRider

Post by EzyRider »

Can't fit pedals to these ones, they're a sit-on style only. Different style altogether.

Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

$350 include paddles?
richo

Post by richo »

Sorry for the bump ..

Went for a fish today in Botany Bay and was amazed by how many pedal powered kayaks there were , Smiss were you out today?
[]D [] []v[] []D
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Shoulda been in one yourself richo! I didn't get out this weekend - work to finish and then family stuff, but Easter, look out!
richo

Post by richo »

I was out in a mates 4.6mtr Quintrex center console , nice boat but i got a bit bbq'ed .

Struck me as funny as all the kayaks had either go-pro cameras on poles or still cameras on the same setup , sneaky pricks could slide right in close to the oil wharf too :D
[]D [] []v[] []D
pab

Post by pab »

Every time I see this thread title I think it's about the old Monty Python joke about American beer.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

richo wrote:I was out in a mates 4.6mtr Quintrex center console , nice boat but i got a bit bbq'ed .

Struck me as funny as all the kayaks had either go-pro cameras on poles or still cameras on the same setup , sneaky pricks could slide right in close to the oil wharf too :D
Lots of videos for kayak fishing on youtube as a result of the facebook generation!

I haven't been out to the wharf yet - I still only have a light spinning set up with 3 pound line on it - but I aim to get something a little heavier and try for a Kingy out there. Did you catch anything? And let me know if you'd like to try out my kayak.

smith
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

i finally got a kayak. I picked it up saturday and it had a small whoopsie on the way home.

Now that i've figured out how to tie it onto my roof rack properly i've been out on it the last 2 days, and i love it. It's a great way to unwind after work. I have only gone under once so far, yesterday while i was getting in it for the first time. I got in from the right side and fell out the wrong side.
Last edited by w00dsy on Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Stupid of the week there.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

yup. This is what it looks like when it's not hanging off my car covered in bubbled wrap. $350 from outdoorsrus.com.au with paddle and seat etc. They did an amazing job cropping the kayak out of the original photo.

smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

That looks like fun Woodsy! Bad luck about the transport whoopsie, but lucky the plastic ones are tough as boots. Did they throw in any accessories like a PFD and suchlike?
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

I'm guessing no, because I don't know what a PFD is.
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

life jacket a.k.a. personal flotation device.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Did they throw in your very own seal?

Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Yep, make sure you get one if they didn't give/sell you one, and wear it when you are getting used to the boat. Also get a paddle leash as losing your paddle if you get tipped out can be a big problem. It's very easy to get tipped out and exhausted in a short time - PFDs are a necessity.

Practice falling out and getting back in. Here's how:

1. when you're in the water, turn the boat back over if its flipped upside down and keep a hold on it;

2. put yourself lined up with the seat on the upwind/up-current side of it, so it's getting pushed away from you rather than towards you (it's very hard to get back in a boat that's drifting towards you);

3. let your legs float up to the surface behind you, so you are laying on the water perpendicular to your kayak;

4. grab the closest side of the boat with your strong hand, and reach over to grab the far side with your weak hand, kick your legs like buggery at the same time and haul yourself over the boat, about where the seat is or slightly behind it;

5. once you're straddling the boat on your gut, pivot around and roll over to drop your arse in the seat. If you leave your legs dangling over either side of the boat, this will make it more stable. Once you're set, get your legs back in, pull up your paddle by its leash and you're done.

Even if you plan on just paddling around close to shore, it's worth practicing re-entries and wearing the PFD, event if you look dorky doing it.

Have fun with the boat though - there's nothing quite like messing about in boats. How much does it weigh? Can you easily get it onto the roof racks? When Bibi and i had a fibreglass double kayak, it took both of us to load it onto the car, and we had to park so Bibi could get some height on one side. Plastic kayaks are great - so lightweight, so tough and versatile. I wish my boat tracked straighter when paddling it, but the hull design of mine is a compromise around the pedals - I'd expect yours to be much easier to paddle.

smith
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

good advice smith :yes: Especially the paddle leash. I'm lucky that when i'm in Geelong working i can go for a paddle on the big old Barwon River which is dead calm almost all the time because it's nicely sheltered. And at home i have the Werribee river which is also very calm. I will eventually go and try the ocean water but for now while i'm getting used to it i'm lucky enough to have calm waters. To start with i've been working on my balance and paddling technique to get consistent strokes going so i track straight. It seems like it'd be really simple but it's easy to zig zag a bit.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

The ocean is a harsh mistress, my friend.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

i've been out 4 times in the last week and have been loving every minute of it. I now have a leash and a PDF too. A workmate is a keen paddler so we went out onto Corio Bay after work which was fun but a bit choppier than normal. It was great because i got to paddle under Cunningham Pier which is something i didn't think i'd ever do. The choppiness really made me work a lot harder and the rather large jelly fish floating just below the surface gave me extra incentive to not fall in. We were out for about an hour in all and i was rooted but massively satisfied after that trip. Then we just sat on our kayaks with our feet in the water and talked for about half an hour. It was super relaxing. I take it to work with me on the roof and just go and find a spot to paddle when i finish for the day. The Barwon River is a great spot to paddle, it really wide and almost always dead flat, plus it's really nice to look at.

I've also found a kayaking subreddit and just saw this video, i assumed it was just turtles until......

[youtube] [/youtube]
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

What the what is he doing in a kayak with those guys around? :eyepop: