9%

Total votes: 45

Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Gay Marriage

Post by Gizmo »

Ok gents, bit of a controversial topic.

A friends recent post of facebook has started quite a rage and I'm surprised at how many of my friends are what I would consider homophobic.

Being all mature adults (unlike some of my friends it would seem) I thought I could get broader view on the issue.

Personally I think Equal rights all the way.
Jiminee

Re: Gay Marriage

Post by Jiminee »

I think it directly affects so few people that it should be a non issue and in time will be one of those things future generations look at and wonder why it took so long to make happen like women voting, civil rights etc. It is not as big an issue as those of course but it is not even a question of allowing gay people to live together (they already do of course), it simply legal recognition of their union and to me at least, wont change much at all.
I expect it will happen one day, as those who so vehermently oppose it will simply fade out so why wait?
We have so many other major problems at the moment that we should be focussing on just make it happen so we can focus on those. I really see it becoming a distraction issue, something that could very well settle an election (here or in the USA) which given the state of the economy etc would be a disgrace.

On a lighter note, from a tshirt I once saw:
"I support gay marriage as long as the chicks are hot"
XLV SPORT
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Jiminee wrote:"I support gay marriage as long as the chicks are hot"
And they don't mind coming over on a Friday night and seeing what life is like on the other side of the fence hehe.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Well here is my opinion - but it isnt really an opinion as it is indecisive

As far as I understand it, a gay couple have exactly the same rights nowadays as I do (yes Im married)

So all the argument is about is for the right to be called "married". It is all about the name.

When I got married, it was by a civil celebrant at an historic homes garden which is equal to a civil union that a gay couple have (loose comparison maybe, I dont know)

So my thoughts are - if it is only a name that is being fought for, why fight back. Who gives a fuck if a gay couple want to be able to legally call themselves married, especially when the legal system gives them the same rights as if they were. Its not like we are putting a black man in the #3 at Daytona FFS.

Flipside is that if they have all the rights, why give a fuck. just let it go. You have all the same rights as a married man and woman so just continue to live in our cultured society. When I see you I wont give a fuck if you are "married" or not. In my mind you are as equal as I am.

So my thoughts are quite simple I guess. What shits me to tears is the debaters of the topic are way too extreme in either direction and they dont help either case in my mind.
--------------
Stu
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

And from Adam Carolla on what to do when a guy tells you he is gay (paraphrasing)
"shrug your shoulders and think great, more pussy for me!"
XLV SPORT
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Fuck it, you know what? If you really wanna marry the dude Giz, just fly to San Fran and get it over with. Make a movie and send it to me...... bigboy!!!
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

hehe.

I really don't care. If they want to marry, let them. It's a piece of paper, anyway.

But I know there are a huge number of severely homophobic ppl out there. I know a few. They go nuts if they see two men kissing. Interestingly enough, though, they don't go nuts seeing to women kissing.
So maybe all the gay couples need is a good marketing agent...
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

I was about to write something similar to what Bauer said. :up:

Originally I didn't care about looking into the gay civil union cause too seriously, believing it's more of a political mover than a true issue until I had two events occur a few years ago that hit too close to home for me not to act on.

Unfortunately, the older parts of society are still finding the situation taboo, especially the church community which are very strict on their opinions of it and have shunned people who suggest it is a fight for equality. Actually, my support for that was probably a reason I was kicked out of a 'leader' position at church.

*I am straight, lead me to women.
petey

Post by petey »

Meh if it's only a title then why push for it?

I don't really care but I am the one who ticked the negative - because it is stating the fact. (currently) :lol:
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Gay Marriage

Post by DexterPunk »

Can't see why anyone would give a shit what they do. Maybe its the religious folk who care?

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
Cutter
Legend in his own lunchtime
Legend in his own lunchtime

Post by Cutter »

Light hearted....
"They want to get married, fine. They have just the same rights to be unhappy as I do...."

Carl runs away....
Cutter ~ Carl Rickard

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I have a gay friend and it doesn't mean that himself and his partner are lesser people.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Marriage by history is between a man and a woman. I still kind of like to keep it that way. The old fashioned marriage by religion etc is outdated however.

However, I would like a new name to be created that heterosexual couples had a choice to use. Like, Partnership Ceremony or Union Day or something to that effect.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Its just a bit of paper.. sadly it is more then that to some people.

What ever makes you happy.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
richo

Post by richo »

It's like religion as long as it doesn't affect me then i,m all for it and really who is it going to have an adverse effect on anyways ?

Like my marriages they mean nothing to anyone else so i don't know so why would Sven and Roger getting married effect anyone's way of life. They should have the right to half a house as much as i do :D
[]D [] []v[] []D
Enforcer-J

Gay Marriage

Post by Enforcer-J »

I have a few workmates that are ridiculously homophobic and Ive bought up this topic on random occasions individually to get their obvious response and reasons. None of them have had even the slightest argument against gay marriage, they didnt even want to argue, just a straight out 'No' followed by obscene comments and that was that.

There is still a long way to go.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

DexterPunk wrote:Can't see why anyone would give a shit what they do. Maybe its the religious folk who care?

I voted "Don't care" for this reason - if it doesn't hurt anyone... do what you want. Probably leans me towards Equal Rights! but that just sounded over the top :p
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

kwijibo wrote:
DexterPunk wrote:Can't see why anyone would give a shit what they do. Maybe its the religious folk who care?

I voted "Don't care" for this reason - if it doesn't hurt anyone... do what you want. Probably leans me towards Equal Rights! but that just sounded over the top :p
yup.

And Dex; it's not necessarily the religious, only. (But yes, the deeply religious always say it's something from god or some other bs)
The people I know, who are really-really homophobic, are not religious at all. They have a tendency towards the radical right (fascist) views though.

Funnily enough, some psychologists say that these people are hidden homos themselves (more or less), and that's why the strong homophobic reaction; they are trying to deny their gay side, strongly. :D
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

ysu wrote:Funnily enough, some psychologists say that these people are hidden homos themselves (more or less), and that's why the strong homophobic reaction; they are trying to deny their gay side, strongly. :D
some? felt the need for a 2nd opinion huh? :D
--------------
Stu
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Its a lot more than just a bit of paper. Gay partners aren't legally recognised as next of kin, so if one dies everything goes to family, who may have abandoned them, instead of the partner they may have spent 40 years with. I'm amazed that there is even people against it, usually hard men who would probably cheat on their wives but are against 2 humans of the same sex being monogomous.
EzyRider

Post by EzyRider »

This is why I'm all for gay marriage.

[youtube] [/youtube]

Middle Pack Racing Watch your mirrors!

Norbs on Germaine Greer: "..that crusty old slag can tongue kiss my quivering sphincter muscle, fuck her and the pretentious boat she fucking sailed in on."
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

w00dsy wrote:Its a lot more than just a bit of paper. Gay partners aren't legally recognised as next of kin, so if one dies everything goes to family, who may have abandoned them, instead of the partner they may have spent 40 years with. I'm amazed that there is even people against it, usually hard men who would probably cheat on their wives but are against 2 humans of the same sex being monogomous.
Fortunately, both in Australia and in the UK, having a will is the solution to having your estate dealt with according to your wishes after your death. Dying "intestate" (without a will) is generally not a good idea for anyone.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

If you like it, put a ring on it!... Umm... Errr

In all seriousness, I support it, I do not believe its anyones place to say who you can be with, I also disagree that having 1 wife is all you can have. Bitches be flocking!
Last edited by Hz-Lab on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Isn't it amazing though, that a forum full of blokes, blokes in to things like big v8's and beer, has only about a 15% disapproval rate?

Why on earth it hasn't been passed is beyond me
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Religion is why