Kickstarters, any one following somthing?

all the ARSE dribble
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Re: Kickstarters, any one following somthing?

Post by wobblysauce »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Flagship - Space Strategy From A First-Person Perspective

http://www.roadtovr.com/flagship-kickst ... ydra-stem/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Looks great.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
pab

Post by pab »

PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Wow - so it started a day ago? And all of the $10k pledges are gone? Safe to say they'll reach their goal.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I'm amazed it's getting anywhere given how limited it is, but they seem to have glossed over that pretty well.

"our current technology requires special types of surfaces"

i.e. the giant sheets of copper or whatever it is they're using in their vid.

From Reddit
There is no magic going on here. It's just Lenz' law. We've understood the underlying physics for almost 2 centuries now. You can see this is what they're doing because they're using copper plate (obviously for high conductivity) to push off of, and you can HEAR in one of the videos of the thing the high pitch whine of magnetostriction in the device's solenoid coils. Note the pitch and loudness of the whine changes when the board is stepped on because the addition of weight to the system changes its resonant frequency and they're probably using a Hall effect transducer to dynamically adjust the power driven to the solenoids in order to maintain a constant levitation height. So now that we've established how the device works and that it's using legitimate, if boring, physics, it's completely obvious this setup will never be anything more than a very limited demonstration novelty for the following reasons: 1) you'd need a shitton of copper plate to make something like this work in sidewalks and copper is goddamn expensive, 2) the board needs A LOT of power to levitate; so if it's battery powered, which it looks like it is in the video, it's going to have a limited hover time of probably no more than a few minutes and if it's powered by induction or something then you're going to need even MORE expensive copper for the coils, 3) copper is not a superconductor and has ohmic losses like any other metal so it's going to get FUCKING HOT after a few minutes of use (like, melt the board and then the copper kind of hot).

Soooo, it's a toy, a novelty they may be able to sell a few one-offs to "look the future is here!" type demos, but it has no possibility of large scale commercial success for any kind of consumer application.
Last edited by DarrenM on Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Maybe the people who can shell out $10k for one of these can also afford to repave their local neighbourhood in a compatible surface.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
norbs

Post by norbs »

DarrenM wrote:I'm amazed it's getting anywhere given how limited it is, but they seem to have glossed over that pretty well.

"our current technology requires special types of surfaces"

i.e. the giant sheets of copper or whatever it is they're using in their vid.

From Reddit
There is no magic going on here. It's just Lenz' law. We've understood the underlying physics for almost 2 centuries now. You can see this is what they're doing because they're using copper plate (obviously for high conductivity) to push off of, and you can HEAR in one of the videos of the thing the high pitch whine of magnetostriction in the device's solenoid coils. Note the pitch and loudness of the whine changes when the board is stepped on because the addition of weight to the system changes its resonant frequency and they're probably using a Hall effect transducer to dynamically adjust the power driven to the solenoids in order to maintain a constant levitation height. So now that we've established how the device works and that it's using legitimate, if boring, physics, it's completely obvious this setup will never be anything more than a very limited demonstration novelty for the following reasons: 1) you'd need a shitton of copper plate to make something like this work in sidewalks and copper is goddamn expensive, 2) the board needs A LOT of power to levitate; so if it's battery powered, which it looks like it is in the video, it's going to have a limited hover time of probably no more than a few minutes and if it's powered by induction or something then you're going to need even MORE expensive copper for the coils, 3) copper is not a superconductor and has ohmic losses like any other metal so it's going to get FUCKING HOT after a few minutes of use (like, melt the board and then the copper kind of hot).

Soooo, it's a toy, a novelty they may be able to sell a few one-offs to "look the future is here!" type demos, but it has no possibility of large scale commercial success for any kind of consumer application.
LOL. Thanks Darren, I was wondering about that, but didnt want to look like a fuckwit, thinking they had made something I couldnt get my brain around.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Exar Kun wrote:Maybe the people who can shell out $10k for one of these can also afford to repave their local neighbourhood in a compatible surface.
Has to be non-ferrous metal according to reddit. Preferably copper. Can't even leave a tv out for council clean up for 1 night without a copper gnome cutting the cords off it :)
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

As above, it has its issues.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

"I used to sleep with my phone in my hand, but my night terrors would cause me to hurl it across the room in an unconscious panic. With the NoPhone, I can still enjoy the comfort of holding a phone in my sleep, without waking up to a shattered screen. Thanks, NoPhone." -David H
norbs

Post by norbs »

That is great!
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

It had to be relaunched.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Thimbleweed Park: A New Classic Point & Click Adventure!
It’s like opening a dusty old desk drawer and finding an undiscovered LucasArts adventure game you’ve never played before.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

FLUX All-in-One 3D Printer - UNLIMITED. ELEGANT. SIMPLE.
Bring your imagination to life with FLUX’s 3D printing, 3D scanning, laser engraving and more modular functions.

backers
$1,641,075
pledged of $100,000 goal

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Pebble Time - Awesome Smartwatch, No Compromises

51,972 backers
$11,413,935 pledged of $500,000 goal
27 days to go

Sold over 100,000,000 pebbles so far.
avg price $140
$140 million, not going badly.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I think your maths is broken, or they haven't sold 100 million watches to make 140 million wobbles.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

I thought they sold over 1 million watches.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Shonky, That is the original pebble.

Wabbit, Yes.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

wobblysauce wrote:Shonky, That is the original pebble.

Wabbit, Yes.
the original has sold 1 million, not 100 million, which is why he questioned your maths. $140 million would mean each watch cost $1.40 each, which is about the cost of an actual pebble.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Descent reboot by a few of the guys who were involved with Star Citizen among other games.

Santaria

Post by Santaria »

DarrenM wrote:Descent reboot by a few of the guys who were involved with Star Citizen among other games.

Spent many an hour playing Descent over dial up back in its day!

Sent from my Nexus 5
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

That game used to spin me out so much.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

My wife and I would take turns doing a level each in that game because we'd become so disorientated that we'd have to swap to regain our equilibrium.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

It was a fun game.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »