Labor!
37%
Liberal
32%
Greens!
5%
Independent!!11
6%
Some random party with a silly name or entertaining policy:)
13%
Fuck voting..
8%

Total votes: 63

pab

Re: Which muppet you voting for?

Post by pab »

Muppet wrote:Pab, after months of dealing with the ISP and NBN my mate's son finally just got on the ombudsman who gave NBN an ultimatum date and wham bam, 1 week later, all up and working.
Yeah, as I said, if the analogue system goes off then we make that move, but until then she'll be fine with the 8 to 10Mbps she's getting on ADSL rather than the 12 she'll get on the NBN :)
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

pab wrote:if the analogue system goes off then we make that move
A couple of areas have hit the 18 month coexistence period and nothing has been turned off. There is too much of a legal minefield in doing so. And Telstra can't guarantee if they turn off the old system, that they can throw the switch and turn it back on if the need arises.
pab

Post by pab »

r8response wrote:
pab wrote:if the analogue system goes off then we make that move
A couple of areas have hit the 18 month coexistence period and nothing has been turned off. There is too much of a legal minefield in doing so. And Telstra can't guarantee if they turn off the old system, that they can throw the switch and turn it back on if the need arises.
Yeah, plus I reckon if they're this disorganised in turning the new system on they'll be just as bad at turning the old system off.
PB
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Hm...so emissions are getting worse
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... SApp_Other

But at the same times it seems most aussies are getting worse off
http://thenewdaily.com.au/money/finance ... e-falling/
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

pab wrote:Yeah, plus I reckon if they're this disorganised in turning the new system on they'll be just as bad at turning the old system off.

Turning off the old system is quite easy. :nod:
pab

Post by pab »

r8response wrote:
pab wrote:Yeah, plus I reckon if they're this disorganised in turning the new system on they'll be just as bad at turning the old system off.

Turning off the old system is quite easy. :nod:
You'd think so, but they haven't done it yet, hopefully because of my Mum and others like her.

Anyway, apparently the work the NBN guys needed to do is now done, and she'll have a connection sometime in the last week of July.

We'll see :)
PB
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

NBN Co finally reveals extent of micronode problem. "only a few people" affected.
just 16 of the 1423 boxes currently in service.
https://www.itnews.com.au/news/nbn-co-f ... lem-467943
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

A bit more on the greenhouse gases report, a deeper analysis
https://www.theguardian.com/business/gr ... they-stink

It's amazing that the government - or more accurately the politicians - can get away with seemingly anything.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

ysu wrote:It's amazing that the government - or more accurately the politicians - can get away with seemingly anything.
What's truly amazing is voters still don't have the guts to blame themselves ;)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

wabbit wrote:
ysu wrote:It's amazing that the government - or more accurately the politicians - can get away with seemingly anything.
What's truly amazing is voters still don't have the guts to blame themselves ;)
Well, some of them maybe in shock - or denial. :)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Our PM is a complete dufus.
I am starting to understand that his messing up the NBN may not have been intentional; It's just that Malcolm is a bit slow. A simpleton. Not much different from his predecessor.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-laws-o ... -turnbull/

Look at his definition of a backdoor. This guy has never been in IT, not even near it.
A back door is typically a flaw in a software program that perhaps the -- you know, the developer of the software program is not aware of and that somebody who knows about it can exploit," he said. "And, you know, if there are flaws in software programs, obviously, that's why you get updates on your phone and your computer all the time
Montey

Post by Montey »

ysu wrote:Our PM is a complete dufus.
I am starting to understand that his messing up the NBN may not have been intentional; It's just that Malcolm is a bit slow. A simpleton. Not much different from his predecessor.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-laws-o ... -turnbull/

Look at his definition of a backdoor. This guy has never been in IT, not even near it.
A back door is typically a flaw in a software program that perhaps the -- you know, the developer of the software program is not aware of and that somebody who knows about it can exploit," he said. "And, you know, if there are flaws in software programs, obviously, that's why you get updates on your phone and your computer all the time
He doesn't know the difference between a vulnerability (a code bug that provides unauthorised access) and a backdoor (a deliberate point of entry that bypasses the intended authentication method.

This just shows that anyone who is not a subject matter expert on any subject should never speak on that subject off the cuff. But, the problem is, the media doesn't let politicians get away with a response of "I don't know... but let me get you an expert on that", so they feel compelled to concoct an answer.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Montey wrote: He doesn't know the difference between a vulnerability (a code bug that provides unauthorised access) and a backdoor (a deliberate point of entry that bypasses the intended authentication method.

This just shows that anyone who is not a subject matter expert on any subject should never speak on that subject off the cuff. But, the problem is, the media doesn't let politicians get away with a response of "I don't know... but let me get you an expert on that", so they feel compelled to concoct an answer.
I did see an interview, maybe after the London terror attack, where a politician did just that.

It makes me wonder what their advisors are telling them. They can't be experts, even in their portfolio, but they should be getting solid advice.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

See, Montey, even you have an idea. I mean a "backdoor" isn't really an obscure expression.

Other definitions can be a bit messier, even those of us in IT often disagree what exactly is considered a "bug". Besides the fact that the meaning changes over time, it seems. :)

But saying that the laws of Australia trump the laws of mathematics is a bit rich. It's a borderline Abbot thinking. Altho it may have come out like that unintentionally.
Montey

Post by Montey »

ysu wrote:See, Montey, even you have an idea.
I am not sure the intent of this response. :tilt:

But, this particular area is something where I am a subject matter expert.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I thought you were not in IT, apologies.
Montey

Post by Montey »

ysu wrote:I thought you were not in IT, apologies.
No problem. I own and am CTO for an IT security company (not to brag, but... one of the largest Australian owned cyber security service providers in the country). :aussie:
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Montey wrote:
No problem. I own and am CTO for an IT security company (not to brag, but... one of the largest Australian owned cyber security service providers in the country). :aussie:
Well, I guess that's something you *can* brag about :)
Montey

Post by Montey »

ysu wrote:
Montey wrote:
Well, I guess that's something you *can* brag about :)
:D
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

This has all been on the cards for quite some time and if it's not the pollies themselves it's some other 'interested' parties that want to be able to snoop on all of our communications, consequences be damned. Notice after one of the recent terror attacks in the UK, the first press conference from Theresa May was about holding IT giants to account, terrorism is just the scape goat to bulldoze all this stuff through but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm telling you guys stuff you already know.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Well, they - rightfully - feel that they can't get the 'usual' amount of information, I believe.
From an age when all mails were paper - thus fairly easily readable - and all phone calls were going through providers who let them snoop in, now they need to catch all this information sift through it to find what they want...Although paper mail & conversations can be encrypted, too. :)

No wonder they don't know what to do.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Pixel politicians :)

smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Sometimes Twitter just works...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

The Guardian: "Revealed: how Australia 'dumped so much fucking money' on asylum-seeker ad campaign"

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... d-campaign
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

smithcorp wrote:Sometimes Twitter just works...

The potato is possibly out next PM! :yikes:
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.