Labor!
37%
Liberal
32%
Greens!
5%
Independent!!11
6%
Some random party with a silly name or entertaining policy:)
13%
Fuck voting..
8%

Total votes: 63

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Re: Which muppet you voting for?

Post by ysu »

Since we don't have a dedicated NBN thread and it's a national "treasure"...
A report came out - quietly - about the state of NBN. Read more about it if you will, here:
https://www.computerworld.com.au/articl ... -next-nbn/
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Cabinet rejects Finkel's Clean Energy Target
http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/am ... et/9056752

As it goes, we'll be on full-coal, still, when all other countries will be 50%-100% renewables. The thickness of the skin on these pollies is incredible.
They're running the country into the ground faster than I could have imagined. I just wish people would grow some eyes to see it...

Edit:
some readable info on the aptly named "NEG" ( LOL ) program
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-17/c ... al/9057026
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

21st century indeedImage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Montey

Post by Montey »

ysu wrote:As it goes, we'll be on full-coal, still, when all other countries will be 50%-100% renewables.
Or not...

Japanese government planning to build 45 new coal fired power stations to diversify supply
http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2017-0 ... ts/8224302
The Japanese government is moving ahead with its plans to build up to 45 new coal fired power stations.

Japan plans 45 new high-energy, low-emissions HELE coal fired power plants. ( ABC News )
The power plants will utilise high energy, low emissions (HELE) technology that use high-quality black coal.

World building new coal plants faster than it shuts them
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nationa ... 1508222830
Nations around the world are building coal-fired power plants at a faster rate than those being ­decommissioned. The plants under construction reflect a 10 per cent increase to the total global generation powered by coal.

New electricity generated by coal-fired plants will outstrip that which was retired in 2015 and 2016 by a factor of five.

With Australia facing a policy crisis over energy security and the winding back of reliance on coal, construction of new coal-fired power plants was increasing in at least 35 countries, according to data analysis supplied to the ­Nationals by the federal parliamentary library. China has 299 new coal generation units under construction, followed by India which is building 132. Australia’s closest neighbour, Indo­nesia, was planning a further 32.

Nuclear countries, including Japan and South Africa, were also increasing their exposure to coal-powered investment, with 21 new plants between them. Vietnam was building 34.

Forget Paris: 1600 New Coal Power Plants Built Around The World
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/07/03/ ... the-world/
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

or not not.

The Australian site is pay walled.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ting-facts
A bit of background: the figure dates back to 19 June, when Nationals senator John “Wacka” Williams asked the parliamentary library to answer a few reasonable questions. How many coal plants are there in other countries? How many have been built recently or are being built? How many have closed? According to the parliamentary library analysis, he wanted the answers by 4pm the same day.

Fast forward to September, and the Australian ran a page one story quoting the analysis under the headline “World building new coal plants faster than it shuts them”. The Oz (correctly) reported that the library found 621 coal-fired power units were being built. This was mis-repeated by several people who don’t accept that climate change is a present threat – including blogger and broadcaster Andrew Bolt and government backbench energy and environment committee chair Craig Kelly – as 621 plants being built.
New coal plants have a role in Australia's energy future, Josh Frydenberg says
Read more

In reality, coal power stations are usually made up of several units. Victoria’s Hazelwood, which shut in March, had eight. But the distinction mattered little once Bolt had provided the shareable online headline: “New coal-fired power stations: World 621, Australia zero. Now understand?”

While the stations/units confusion is relevant, it is not the main issue. The 621 is incorrect, however you cut it.
https://cleantechnica.com/2017/03/23/gl ... lummeting/

I suppose we could just keep Googling to see who finds the most links. The way I see it, if Tony Abbott and Malcolm Roberts say coal is good, well..
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Ok, that's interesting. I certainly did not know that.
I'd have expected it from China, but certainly not from Japan. Too much backlash from Fukushima?

But all in all I really thought the world is past the coal-age.

Thanks for the extensive info!

Edit: and the other side's extra info as well, Norbs :)
Montey

Post by Montey »

ysu wrote:Ok, that's interesting. I certainly did not know that.
I'd have expected it from China, but certainly not from Japan. Too much backlash from Fukushima?

But all in all I really thought the world is past the coal-age.

Thanks for the extensive info!
The last chart is the one most interesting to me, because it shows not just Asian/developing countries but also that European countries are building coal fired stations. Germany, for example, is building HELE coal fired power stations.

The following chart shows Germany's reliance on fossil fuel electricity production (remembering that Germany is held up as a gold standard for environmental energy)...

As can be seen, they are decades away from weaning themselves off fossil fuels.

A lot of what they have achieved is actually based on importing nuclear energy from France and importing gas from Russia (which is why Russian can now afford to re-arm its military). But these imports have actually largely offset reduction in nuclear energy after Fukushima (a political knee-jerk reaction) and they are now finding themselves with rising energy costs.

As can be seen from this chart the thing that has pushed their prices up the most is actually the "renewables surcharge"; the base production cost has actually been falling most recently, but the two things that have grown are the grid fees (the grid needs re-engineering to cope with a bi-directional energy production) and the renewable surcharge. If both of those things didn't rise, Germany's current power prices would be about the same as they were in 2007/2008.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Following links I've arrived to this rather interesting coal-powerstation tracker site:
https://endcoal.org/tracker/
Montey

Post by Montey »

ysu wrote:Following links I've arrived to this rather interesting coal-powerstation tracker site:
https://endcoal.org/tracker/
Great link.

Based on this, planned or under construction coal power plants around the world is:
  • E28 Europe has 15.
  • Non-E28 Europe has too many to count.
  • Africa has to many to count.
  • North America has 1 (in the USA)
  • Latin America has too many to count.
  • Eurasia has 13.
  • East Asia has a metric shit tonne of them being built or planned.
  • South East Asia also has a metric shit tonne of them being built or planned.
So, in summary... the -ONLY- global area not planning or building coal fired power stations is Australia/New Zealand.

So much for this local dogma about Coal being abandoned all around the world. Australia are the biggest idiots with the cheapest and most efficient coal in the world but refusing to use it.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Anyone who thinks coal is the future is a lunatic. May as well tell your kids to fuck off, we can fuck the planet you will inherit.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Montey wrote:Australia are the biggest idiots with the cheapest and most efficient uranium in the world but refusing to use it.
Fixed it for ya Mont.

Exactly Norbs The Future is The Atom.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
Montey

Post by Montey »

Jamo wrote:
Montey wrote:Australia are the biggest idiots with the cheapest and most efficient thorium in the world but refusing to use it.
Fixed it for ya Mont.

Fixed it for ya Jamo. :lol:
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

The future is, for us, solar. Where I live gets a shit ton of sunlight and we're facing blackouts during peak load, when it's really hot. Harness what's making it fucking hot! Got no panels here but I'm starting to look into it. Won't be able to have battery storage as that's out of the price range. But fuck if we all had 5 kw worth of panels, power shortage fixed on hot days as so much would go into the grid.

There's a solar powered butterfly here that my mum bought ages ago. That thing in winter was still turning, all be it slowly but there was still power generation. But with gas heating don't need to generate power.

But it's typical of the fuckwits in charge to bury their head in the sand and not harness the amount of sunlight we get here.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
norbs

Re: RE: Re: Which muppet you voting for?

Post by norbs »

Jamo wrote:
Montey wrote:Australia are the biggest idiots with the cheapest and most efficient uranium in the world but refusing to use it.
Fixed it for ya Mont.

I'm sure we have been down this road before. Money had some ripper info, but it terrifies people.

And even though I just added another 5.8kW of solar to my place, I realise it isn't the sole answer. But fuck me, we live in a pretty sunny place, so it helps.

How are we going with fusion? It seems to be taking a long time to crack.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

norbs wrote: How are we going with fusion? It seems to be taking a long time to crack.
We've had a working fusion core for the last 4.6 billion years. It has troubles though. The only containment it uses is gravity and Its emissions are such that it causes melanomas in about 2-3 million people per year and they live some 150 million km away from it. Getting a good conversion process to convert its energy into electricity is under constant development. The generator doesn't get to bill for its output either.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
norbs

Post by norbs »

Cursed wrote:
norbs wrote: How are we going with fusion? It seems to be taking a long time to crack.
We've had a working fusion core for the last 4.6 billion years. It has troubles though. The only containment it uses is gravity and Its emissions are such that it causes melanomas in about 2-3 million people per year and they live some 150 million km away from it. Getting a good conversion process to convert its energy into electricity is under constant development. The generator doesn't get to bill for its output either.

I see what you did there. :) :sunny:
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I believe solar is a great option - except if something happens with the sun (eg blocked out by ash), so it'd be good to back it up with wind & fission/fusion (when it becomes commercial reality)

However, seeing these stats I find it incredible how many (coal plants) are still being built & planned. This is the summary stats pdf if someone wants to browse it.
It's incredible. It'd be good to know if this is reliable data indeed.
https://endcoal.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... arison.pdf
Last edited by ysu on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Interesting development.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/energy/s ... z0hr6.html

If storage can move away from the incredibly toxic lithium-ion, things are looking up.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

norbs wrote:Interesting development.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/energy/s ... z0hr6.html

If storage can move away from the incredibly toxic lithium-ion, things are looking up.
cheaper, too!
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull says NBN was a mistake and it may never make money

I just checked my address which was slated for connection last month has been pushed back to Jul-Dec 2018. :rofl:
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

KNAPPO wrote:Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull says NBN was a mistake and it may never make money

I just checked my address which was slated for connection last month has been pushed back to Jul-Dec 2018. :rofl:
It's labour's fault, of course. All of it.

Including letting this numpty to be anywhere near governing the country...
norbs

Post by norbs »

"It is Labors fault" is getting fucking tired. I now wonder what Labor government they are talking about? Whitlam, Hawke?

Good thing is, they only have another year or so and they are gone.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

“Ideals do not match the results.”

Ideal
satisfying one's conception of what is perfect; most suitable

Result
a thing that is caused or produced by something else

:D

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/headline ... take-piss/
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Turnbull is personally responsible for turning the NBN into the cluster fuck it's now become. He's successfully achieved a worse outcome for the same or greater cost. This will all go on for decades yet.