The AI car

all the ARSE dribble
Jamo

Re: The AI car

Post by Jamo »

Not to mention J.D. it's laid out like a perfect grid. That's gotta help the little Tron doing your driving.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

AstrO wrote:Public transport isn't always a viable alternative...

For example, for me to currently get to work, it takes 20-25mins by car. This same trip would take me 1.5 hours on public transport and cost me more per fortnight.
  • I'm currently using $45 in fuel per fortnight (less if I didn't purchase 98). This is with a 2012 Kia Rio (UB) 1.6L, 4Cyl manual.
  • The cost of public transport is $69.6 per fortnight.
Now this only works because I don't have to pay for parking and I work outside of the Adelaide CBD.
Yep, PT ain't always the best option, but we usually underestimate the operating and service costs of their car, as well as the cost to service a loan, or the opportunity cost of having money sunk in a depreciating asset. The actual operating cost of your car Astro, is closer to $150 per week. There's a few cost calculators around for cars - it's eye-opening!

My car's weekly operating costs are $245.66 and we use it maybe less than 100 km per week!

https://www.mynrma.com.au/mynrma/operat ... lator.aspx

http://rac.com.au/motoring/motoring-adv ... ning-costs

http://www.racq.com.au/cars-and-driving ... ning-costs
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

smithcorp wrote:
AstrO wrote:Public transport isn't always a viable alternative...

For example, for me to currently get to work, it takes 20-25mins by car. This same trip would take me 1.5 hours on public transport and cost me more per fortnight.
  • I'm currently using $45 in fuel per fortnight (less if I didn't purchase 98). This is with a 2012 Kia Rio (UB) 1.6L, 4Cyl manual.
  • The cost of public transport is $69.6 per fortnight.
Now this only works because I don't have to pay for parking and I work outside of the Adelaide CBD.
Yep, PT ain't always the best option, but we usually underestimate the operating and service costs of their car, as well as the cost to service a loan, or the opportunity cost of having money sunk in a depreciating asset. The actual operating cost of your car Astro, is closer to $150 per week. There's a few cost calculators around for cars - it's eye-opening!

My car's weekly operating costs are $245.66 and we use it maybe less than 100 km per week!

https://www.mynrma.com.au/mynrma/operat ... lator.aspx

http://rac.com.au/motoring/motoring-adv ... ning-costs

http://www.racq.com.au/cars-and-driving ... ning-costs
:nod:

But even when I was catching the bus to work, I still had my car. So the public transport costs were just on-top of my normal car costs. ;)

PS We did try to go back to one car, but it just made life harder.

PPS Pro tip: don't use your phone to write long forum posts, because I always find a shit load of errors in the messages I post from my phone! :fall:
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Self-driving bus trialled on open road in China.

http://www.roboticstrends.com/article/w ... e_in_china
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Elon Musk Says Tesla Cars Will Reach 620 Miles On A Single Charge “Within A Year Or Two,” Be Fully Autonomous In “Three Years”

http://techcrunch.com/2015/09/29/elon-m ... ree-years/

If the Model 3 is reasonably priced I'll be seriously considering one.

Wonder how long it will take for self driving cars to be allowed on Sydney roads....
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
Montey

Post by Montey »

Brett_S wrote:Elon Musk Says Tesla Cars Will Reach 620 Miles On A Single Charge “Within A Year Or Two,” Be Fully Autonomous In “Three Years”

http://techcrunch.com/2015/09/29/elon-m ... ree-years/

If the Model 3 is reasonably priced I'll be seriously considering one.

Wonder how long it will take for self driving cars to be allowed on Sydney roads....
I would love to see VW's response to their current mess be the retirement of their Diesel engine program and an announcement for a Hydrogen Fuel-Cell platform. Such an announcement, I think, would go a long way to repairing their environmental credentials; and it would have the added benefit of severely pissing off Elon Musk.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

Montey wrote: I would love to see VW's response to their current mess be the retirement of their Diesel engine program and an announcement for a Hydrogen Fuel-Cell platform. Such an announcement, I think, would go a long way to repairing their environmental credentials; and it would have the added benefit of severely pissing off Elon Musk.
Not sure I'd want to be driving around in my new VW Hindenburg. I certainly want to stay away from Lakehurst in it.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

That Tesla X is stupidly impractical. How do you fit a roofrack to it and how open the doors in a low garage/car park? Dumb gimmick buggers the concept.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

but they're billionaire doors

wabbit

Post by wabbit »

smithcorp wrote:That Tesla X is stupidly impractical. How do you fit a roofrack to it and how open the doors in a low garage/car park? Dumb gimmick buggers the concept.
I was wondering the same. He's got both areas covered apparently with a Accessorises Hitch and the doors are dual hinged with sensors to adjust opening angles where needed.

Jamo

Post by Jamo »

I see the Model X has claimed it's first victim. Working theory is that the self driving system was blinded by sunlight and put him into a truck.........
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

That's the theory? I thought it was because of the height, same height as overheads or static signs... meaning AI cars would be braking all the time.

But on a serious note, I always knew it was a matter of when not if. I mean who the fuck really hand-on-heart thought an AI car would never have a serious crash for the rest of time.

So how many collective kms has AI been used for and this is the first death. If it's at all safer than humans on average, the AI car has already won, people aren't gonna get any better but the AI car will.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

https://www.teslamotors.com/blog/tragic-loss
Following our standard practice, Tesla informed NHTSA about the incident immediately after it occurred. What we know is that the vehicle was on a divided highway with Autopilot engaged when a tractor trailer drove across the highway perpendicular to the Model S. Neither Autopilot nor the driver noticed the white side of the tractor trailer against a brightly lit sky, so the brake was not applied. The high ride height of the trailer combined with its positioning across the road and the extremely rare circumstances of the impact caused the Model S to pass under the trailer, with the bottom of the trailer impacting the windshield of the Model S. Had the Model S impacted the front or rear of the trailer, even at high speed, its advanced crash safety system would likely have prevented serious injury as it has in numerous other similar incidents.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Santaria

Re: RE: Re: The AI car

Post by Santaria »

wabbit wrote:That's the theory? I thought it was because of the height, same height as overheads or static signs... meaning AI cars would be braking all the time.

But on a serious note, I always knew it was a matter of when not if. I mean who the fuck really hand-on-heart thought an AI car would never have a serious crash for the rest of time.

So how many collective kms has AI been used for and this is the first death. If it's at all safer than humans on average, the AI car has already won, people aren't gonna get any better but the AI car will.
From what I read it almost halved the average rate per mile (their words) of deaths, or something like that. It's unfortunate but it can only get better from here.

Sent from my Nexus 5
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

Take people out of the loop and we all know what will happen...
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Really good example of where Telsa's autopilot is at.

Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Anyone see the Faraday Future launch at CES?

https://www.ff.com/en/

0-60 - 2.39s
1050HP
600ish Kilometer range

Not a lot of detail on the interior and passenger interaction while in the car tho. But it can park itself :)

This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I wonder how likely it is to be built. There's been lots of talk from this company but lots of set backs too. The self parking demo was interesting but not too far advanced on what cars on the market are doing now.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Yeah I've been reading the stuff on Jalopnik about FF's drama's

I'd expect some level of dysfunction coming from a Chinese backed company... :)

I do hope they get it built - local government assistance of these sorts of projects will quickly dry up if they start getting burned.

You've also got LeEco and Lucid coming as well.... time will tell if any of these companies get up and start challenging the big manufacturers.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Exar Kun wrote:I wonder how likely it is to be built. There's been lots of talk from this company but lots of set backs too. The self parking demo was interesting but not too far advanced on what cars on the market are doing now.
Yep, agree with that.

A car company that rolls out a bunch of stats about a car they haven't built yet is usually shortly followed by that company folding and never being heard of again. We had an endless low-volume British sports car manufacturers doing it a few years ago and none of them came to fruition.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

This stuff will go nuts soon.. The car industry is going to get totally changed.

Would be easy if ALL cars were automated.. Integrating with human drivers is the challenge!
eek
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

To that point I can see he middle class being totally changed regarding self driving cars.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Why the fuck are they always so ugly?! None will reach production so why not use one of these to suck people in?

Minister for Religious Genocide.