Uluru

all the ARSE dribble
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re: Uluru

Post by DexterPunk »

That's it, norbs.

It doesn't matter if you don't see why not. Or if you think it's not a valid reason. If it upsets others and they respectfully ask you not to, why would you go ahead and do it? It's just a dick move.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

I see flashing signs on this discussion which say "stop, it's a trap".

Oh and you can climb the coathanger: http://www.bridgeclimb.com
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Cursed wrote:I see flashing signs on this discussion which say "stop, it's a trap".

Oh and you can climb the coathanger: http://www.bridgeclimb.com

yeah, a guided tour and very limited (as far as taking photos and just generally looking about). And fucking expensive. Does it cost to climb Uluru?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Nah once you're there you can climb if you want to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

norbs wrote: People are forbidden from climbing the SH Bridge and opera House. They dont have the history and heritage of the rock for the indigenous people.
Actually, you aren't allowed to climb any building (people still do it mind you). But you *can* climb the harbour bridge, just pay through the nose. :)
I think if they asked for a modest donation to climb the Uluru, things would be much clearer. Or just forbid it outright.

You're right, it's about respect. Something I don't have for religions.

Edit: I did not read all comments, others have pointed out the bridge paradox already :)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

But I kept thinking about it....we say it's a dick move, and disrespectful. Ok, well, think about this:

They (aboriginals) been here first, they simply called dibs on that rock and told you not to climb it. Climbing it is disrespectful and a dick move. OK.

They have been here in Australia first, and I'm pretty darn sure they did not want anyone to settle here and build cities and put them into slavery for a while.

What move is that, then?
Would you kindly move out of Australia if they asked? They were here first, after all.

This is really just to start a few thoughts, is all. :)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

You can not show respect to a religion, while also showing respect to the people who believe in it. There's a significant difference there. I'm pretty anti-theist, but it doesn't mean I'm going to go around being an arsehole to people.

I guess technically aboriginal belief is religion. I still feel like there's something different about it though.

And just so you are aware, it's not common for aboriginal people to forbid something. Which is why they politely ask for you not to.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

lol Monty, that post makes you sound like a 12 year old.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

We visited as a family a little over a year ago and I'm glad I did. We weren't planning to climb it, but we wouldn't have been able to as it was closed due to the high temperatures.
P1030660.JPG
P1030823.JPG
P1030824.JPG
P1030826.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

ysu wrote:They (aboriginals) been here first, they simply called dibs on that rock and told you not to climb it.
It's a bit more complex than that - not so much 'dibs' as holding beliefs that this rock is sacred to their culture. As an example, the cenotaph in Hyde Park has a set of stairs leading up to it. Signs are placed there that ask people not to sit on the steps. If you do, attendants will move you on. The stairs are not really different to any other steps around the city; and Hyde Park is full of places where you can recline, sit, smoke, eat etc.

The difference with these stairs is they are part of a memorial sacred to the memory of fallen servicemen. Now, that might mean nothing to someone who isn't Australian, or who hasn't lost a loved one in war, but it is of great importance to some of us and that means that a 'normal' activity like sitting on a step, or climbing a structure, is emotionally and culturally charged.

There's even natural objects that have cultural significance to Europeans - the Tree of Knowledge for instance: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_of_K ... Australia)
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

I climbed it, and was always going to climb it given the opportunity. Going around the base is certainly impressive, but getting to the top felt like a real achievement and was the highlight of the visit for me. The view from the top is amazing, and I discovered the top is actually full of pot holes full of water (it rained a few days earlier). There are even full grown trees up on top. Very cool.

If it wasn't for the media coverage, it wouldn't be that obvious that the owners don't really want you to climb it. There is just the one sign at the base which is amongst a bunch of other information. By comparison, the Olga's (and other sites in the area) has many "Sacred site, do not climb" signs around it... so I certainly didn't climb those. It did make me wonder why they're so adamant about not climbing the Olgas, but less strict on Uluru. I tried to do some searching afterwards but couldn't find reasons why there is a difference.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Its because of the usual mixed messages...

https://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/stor ... -on-uluru/
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

I climbed the Nut in Stanley as a kid and again a few years ago with my son. That one is encouraged.
I'd go see Uluru as part of a larger trip but wouldn't climb it. I'd just want the shot with in in the background.

--------------
Stu
Coopz
King of the Wierd
King of the Wierd

Post by Coopz »

durbster wrote:For those who climbed it, were you aware of how strongly that's discouraged by the local Aborigines? The info was pretty clear when we went, basically along the lines of: yes, you can climb it but please don't.

Great photo pab. :yes:

Meh.. Like they built it.
norbs wrote:
Stop bullying him. You have more birthdays each year than he gets roots!
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Good!!

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-0 ... fmredir=sm

pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Yeah they should of stopped climbing 20 years ago!
eek
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Blimey, didn't know that was on the cards. That's good news.
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

No one will be climbing it, it's now only open to climbing about 16% of the year and the deal was that once it dropped below 20% that they'd close it from climbing forever.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

DexterPunk wrote:Good!!

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-0 ... fmredir=sm

:yes:
richo

Post by richo »

Climb all over the Eiffel Tower or Lincoln Memorial and you will get a gun in your face faster than Norbs can swear at people . As for why your not allowed to climb Ayers Rock sorry Uluru the reasons really don't come into it your asked not to and imho that's the end of the story.
[]D [] []v[] []D
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Muppet wrote:No one will be climbing it, it's now only open to climbing about 16% of the year and the deal was that once it dropped below 20% that they'd close it from climbing forever.

Nah it’s not that it was only open 16% of the year, it was open most days for climbing. The deal was when less than 20% of people chose to climb it, they’d close it. That number was put in place because they wanted to make sure they weren’t going to lose significant tourist numbers by closing the climb.