Uluru

all the ARSE dribble
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Uluru

Post by durbster »

How about this for a photo.

Uluru taken from space:

So how about some chat about that big rock, as it's one of your most iconic landmarks.

Have you been? Do you want to go? Did you find it amazing? Did you walk up it? Is it just for tourists?
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: Uluru

Post by norbs »

Not been.

Yes.

Not been.

Not been.

No.

:)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Been, yes again, yes, no, no. ;)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

I rarely get any thrill out of being a tourist. I might put this on the list if I become a grey-nomad one day.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Had to rollout some equipment into Airport so got a free trip,

Its bloody impressive, but realistically its only a one day thing, saw it at sunrise and sunset but was 40+ degrees so didnt walk up it.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Went there about a dozen times in the space of 2 to 3 years. Never climbed it as we were working.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Speed

Post by Speed »

I'm hoping to go there this year as I have a couple of Alice trips planned.
I want to get a shot of my wife and I with our bus and trailer with the rock in the background...if I can. I'm not sure that I have the gear, or be able to get the distance/angles etc. to take the shot I have in my head.
I would like to climb it but it depends on a number of factors, temperature, time we're there, (photographing it is more important to me), and how many days I'm there before my appointment in Alice to allow for recovery. :)
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Yes, I'd go again, Yes, No, No.

I found it spiritual, and I'm not a spiritual person. We had spent days in the bush before we got there, and had seen 2,000 year old cave paintings, met many aboriginal people and read about their stories. A lot of people climb the rock but after experiencing all that, and the sign at the rock asking you not to climb it, there's not way we'd climb it.

I still think about that place and those people, not that I've done a great deal about it since, but it's always in the back of my mind when anyone talks about Aboriginal affairs.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I grew up in Alice, I've climbed it a couple times from memory but I was still a kid so it was some time ago now. It's definitely worth seeing the rock and the Olgas if you ever get the chance. The climb is nothing really, not very difficult.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Vilante wrote:Yes, I'd go again, Yes, No, No.

I found it spiritual, and I'm not a spiritual person. We had spent days in the bush before we got there, and had seen 2,000 year old cave paintings, met many aboriginal people and read about their stories. A lot of people climb the rock but after experiencing all that, and the sign at the rock asking you not to climb it, there's not way we'd climb it.

I still think about that place and those people, not that I've done a great deal about it since, but it's always in the back of my mind when anyone talks about Aboriginal affairs.
Have we been on the same tour? :D

I've not climbed it because we only had an hour for the whole thing. I was a rock climber so you can't tell me not to climb a rock. :) Went up a little ways only - it was still great.

by the way we've also been told stories to be careful since if you fall, that'll probably be your last fall. And the cable in the middle only goes for a short while. And it's featureless, so if you slip, it's all the way down.

The whole red centre was a very entertaining and very unique experience.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

ysu wrote:Have we been on the same tour? :D

I've not climbed it because we only had an hour for the whole thing. I was a rock climber so you can't tell me not to climb a rock. :) Went up a little ways only - it was still great.

by the way we've also been told stories to be careful since if you fall, that'll probably be your last fall. And the cable in the middle only goes for a short while. And it's featureless, so if you slip, it's all the way down.

The whole red centre was a very entertaining and very unique experience.
:)

Apparently 35 people have died climbing it which is quite high. Older people in the stinking heat climbing = :fall:
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Never been (and would never climb it if i do go), but that is a glorious photo.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Went in May last year. Was quite impressed by the enormity of it up close. Took about 45 minutes to climb to the very top, and it was very bloody hard! Had to stop many times for my legs to recover, and I considered myself of reasonable fitness level.

Tourists everywhere!

We free camped off the highway before entering the park area, and had an awesome view of the rock from our tent, and away from the crowds.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

I'd go if it was closer. But it's a hell of a long way to go to see a rock.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

w00dsy wrote:I'd go if it was closer. But it's a hell of a long way to go to see a rock.
I met a guy on top of the rock who had caught a $99 flight direct from Sydney to Uluru, paid a bit extra to put his bike on the plane and rode it to the rock from the airport (probably less than 10km). Said he just felt like seeing the rock that weekend :aussie:
Bails MacKenzie

Post by Bails MacKenzie »

I went way back in 2002 and couldn't see shit because of a dust storm on a 43 degree day, then we went back to the campsite in time to see our tent blow away.
I finally saw the rock by the end of my stay, it was bloody impressive, did the Olgas as well and Kings Canyon that trip, touristy as hell but if you want to be blown away by all these rock formations in the middle of nowhere, worth the trip.

Also met one of those Japanese cyclists who ride from Darwin to Alice Springs too, Almost as interesting as the rocks.
pab

Post by pab »

Went in 1975, we climbed the rock then, but things have obvously changed since then, wouldn't climb now.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

For those who climbed it, were you aware of how strongly that's discouraged by the local Aborigines? The info was pretty clear when we went, basically along the lines of: yes, you can climb it but please don't.

Great photo pab. :yes:
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

It wasn't really a thing when I climbed it which would be over 20 years ago now, I'm not sure if I would climb it now, probably not.

It must be my memory failing me because like I said I don't remember it being a difficult climb, being a kid with boundless energy probably helped.

There are a lot of great places to visit in Central Australia around Yulara and Alice Springs so I wouldn't go just to see the rock but maybe take a week and make a proper trip of it.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

durbster wrote:For those who climbed it, were you aware of how strongly that's discouraged by the local Aborigines? The info was pretty clear when we went, basically along the lines of: yes, you can climb it but please don't.
I was aware, yes, but it's a rock. I wanted to climb. People all over the world trying to curb climbing of rocks for all sorts of reasons. Call me an asshole, but religion is the last thing I'll give in to. Nature preservation I'm more inclined to.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I've been. Only about 18 months ago. My missus was working at Yulara for a week, and she suggested we have a bit of a look around. We hired a 4x4 and drove around for about 10 days. Started at the rock, and Kata Tjuta, and head off to Kings Canyon, then through the Mereenie Loop to Glen Helen. Amazing place to stay by the way. Then to Alice, and then back down to Yulara before flying back out. NT really is another world to what i'm used to. I don't actually think i'd have done if if Lisa wasn't going there for work, but I'm so glad I did. I was actually surprised how easy it is to get there, and get around. I'd say that has changed a lot in the last 20 years or so. We didn't climb it, as it was fairly obvious that it was disrespectful. There were still hoards of tourists doing it. I really don't know why you would, but anyway.

Actually just booked a holiday there for myself and mum. She wanted to see it, and I'm excited to go back. 5 nights in Yulara, 2 nights at Kings Canyon, and 1 night at Curtain Springs on the way home. I don't think it's just for tourists. In some ways, I think Australians would get more out of it.
Montey

Post by Montey »

Never been, have no inclination to go out of my way to go.

If I happened, for some other (more worthwhile) reason to be near by I'd probably go, and I'd probably climb it.

It's just a big rock (aka highly compacted soil), if I couldn't climb it I wouldn't see the point in going; the view from the top would probably be the only thing of interest to me. If I declare the stairwell in my office building as being sacred, can I decide who gets to climb it?
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Wow.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Montey wrote:If I declare the stairwell in my office building as being sacred, can I decide who gets to climb it?
Not really equivalent... :shake:
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

You can imagine if it was the Catholic Church owned it and didnt want anyone climbing it.

People are forbidden from climbing the SH Bridge and opera House. They dont have the history and heritage of the rock for the indigenous people.

Really, it is just about respect.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.