Safe to go in the water?

all the ARSE dribble
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Safe to go in the water?

Post by smithcorp »

Check with the global shark watch site. Luckily there's only a couple of sharks in Australia!

http://www.ocearch.org/
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Re: Safe to go in the water?

Post by durbster »

Phew, Skegness - my nearest beach - looks safe :D

That's rather cool. Must be really hard to get tracking information from an animal that doesn't stay near the surface for long.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Just hold on to a sprig of parsley as you go for a paddle :D
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Bails MacKenzie

Post by Bails MacKenzie »

You could always just swim between two fat people.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

What if the shark is watching their weight and choose the lean option? Then you're screwed!
Minister for Religious Genocide.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

That's pretty cool.

Would love to know what they estimate the percentage of tagged sharks are.

On a side note. I think it's troubling when I see Facebook posts etc (usually from news sites etc) that report a shark siting. Well yes, they do live in the ocean. I think it also adds to the hysteria, and leads to silly decisions like a shark cull. From my experience a vast majority of sharks are not dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

DexterPunk wrote:That's pretty cool.

On a side note. I think it's troubling when I see Facebook posts etc (usually from news sites etc) that report a shark siting. Well yes, they do live in the ocean. I think it also adds to the hysteria, and leads to silly decisions like a shark cull. From my experience a vast majority of sharks are not dangerous.

I can say with some confidence, that I have seen more sharks face to face than probably 99% of the population. I hate the idea of culls. I remember going into Vic Hislop's "museum" in Hervey bay in 1989 and had a rip snorting argument with the bloke. He was a fucking lunatic. As compared to Rodney Fox, who I have also met, who was nearly eaten by a great white and he is all for conservation of the Great White.

Most people would be stunned if they were aware of how many sharks are in places like Jervis Bay near me.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

I found out a couple of years ago (thanks to ABC's Quantum) that a beach I used to go to all the time as a kid is actually right next to a Great White spawning area (Bennett's Beach, Hawks Nest). From memory there's never been an attack there.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

norbs wrote:
DexterPunk wrote:That's pretty cool.

I can say with some confidence, that I have seen more sharks face to face than probably 99% of the population. I hate the idea of culls. I remember going into Vic Hislop's "museum" in Hervey bay in 1989 and had a rip snorting argument with the bloke. He was a fucking lunatic. As compared to Rodney Fox, who I have also met, who was nearly eaten by a great white and he is all for conservation of the Great White.

Most people would be stunned if they were aware of how many sharks are in places like Jervis Bay near me.
I'm sure you've had more experience than I have with all your diving. I've swam with them quite a bit while snorkelling, and I reckon I've had more than 20 encounters with them. For the most part they are completely indifferent to your presence, and at the very most they are curious then bugger off.