Re: Old road safety films

Post by Dr. Pain »

Imagine the carnage if that last clips law was still observed?! :yikes:

Minister for Religious Genocide.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Dr. Pain wrote:Imagine the carnage if that last clips law was still observed?! :yikes:
Wait, that law has changed hasn't it? I seem to recall that right-hand rule does not apply in T intersections.

Mind you it baffled me when I first came to Australia, as it's an exception to a general rule, and it's not how Europe & US works.
There, if you have a T and you want to protect the traffic on the main road, you make it a main road and put up triangles at the intersections. Otherwise, right-hand rule prevails. Except in roundabouts, but that's due to the stupid driving on the right. :)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Like anything in Australia it depends on the state and which rules they apply. But the T intersection rule has changed. Now that car trying to get onto the main road would have a stop sign.

In my street about 400 metres down the road is a 4 way intersection and my street has a stop sign as it crosses a 60 kilometre main thoroughfare. However so many people especially old people will stop on the thoroughfare to give right of way to the people who have the stop sign. If I'm on the bike getting to that insection, I have mt escape route planned to get the fuck out of there are there's been some nasty smashes. Busses and trucks use the road often.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Look at the state of Parramatta Road. It was like silk!
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Dr. Pain wrote:Like anything in Australia it depends on the state and which rules they apply. But the T intersection rule has changed. Now that car trying to get onto the main road would have a stop sign.

In my street about 400 metres down the road is a 4 way intersection and my street has a stop sign as it crosses a 60 kilometre main thoroughfare. However so many people especially old people will stop on the thoroughfare to give right of way to the people who have the stop sign. If I'm on the bike getting to that insection, I have mt escape route planned to get the fuck out of there are there's been some nasty smashes. Busses and trucks use the road often.
Seriously, the road rules change by state? (T intersection right of way ones in particular?) I find that hard to believe. IF that's true, that's some major crap.

There's not necessarily a stop sight at T's. We have a few around the area. And I've checked; the rules are that the terminating road must give way. It's the rule at least in NSW, VIC & SA, according to online resources.

The problem is; it's an exception, so people may overlook it. (altho this particular rule has been around long enough I think to have "settled in") People overlook street signs & markings regularly. Driving blind.

Eg our street is a cul-de-sac. Where it joins the other road(s) it's a T. We are in the "top left" arm of the T, but the T is arranged so each "continuing" road (top part of the T) has a "give way" triangle, and the stem of the T (the terminating road) has right of way. I can see cars daily blowing through the intersection without slowing, then they realise they came the wrong way, go back, and turn into the "stem". But it's an accident waiting to happen, especially with young fucks who do 70-80 in this area, and the kids who ride their bikes as if they were in the kids' park.
Last edited by ysu on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
macca
Founder
Founder

Post by macca »

I enjoyed watching those ads. Give way to the right was a right PITA, I remember when they changed it, caused all sorts of confusion at the time, we still used hand signals as well back then, old cars without indicators, mechanical arm on my fathers truck :D

The pedestrian crossing ad reminded me of my grandmother who thought that the crossing was a cocoon of safety which meant she could step off the sidewalk at any time without looking, a few close shaves from memory.
I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zedmacca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Many road rules were standardised 20/25 years ago but there were differences between NSW and Victoria. Those were who had right of way turning at intersections. One was left, one was right. Even now in Melbourne they have hook turns and no one else has them.

Back in the 1920's and early 1930's you couldn't fly across the NSW/Vic border. You had to cross with your aircraft on the ground.

Federation can be pretty fucked up at times. If they all followed a Victorian lead, the place would run better! :lol:
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

The driving in the ads is insane - especially when you know these are actors doing this for a demo - the risks involved in the passing manoeuvres made by the "hare" must have been massive - they are all really moving.

And I particularly like the old man using his car as a weapon to shove the old lady back onto the footpath. Give way on right was crazy, especially on a road like Parramatta Road. NZ recently changed a weird road rule that made left turning vehicles give way to right turners - a big source of confusion for visitors.