WannaCrypt attack. Mirosoft arent pulling their punches.

all the ARSE dribble
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

WannaCrypt attack. Mirosoft arent pulling their punches.

Post by norbs »

An equivalent scenario with conventional weapons would be the U.S. military having some of its Tomahawk missiles stolen.
https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issu ... berattack/
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DarrenM

Re: WannaCrypt attack. Mirosoft arent pulling their punches.

Post by DarrenM »

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Yeah, been reading about that. (not much though) Long story short:
windows has released the patch months ago, the info was out in the wild, most organisations didn't update....and suddenly there was a malicious code exploiting the hole.

We know that windows systems are unsafe, too many unnecessary programs and open ports. Far more so that linux systems (usually).
If someone builds critical infrastructure on windows, they better have a good security person with a free reign to disable all extra crap and put it behind a good firewall & proxy & whatever else maybe needed.

And get it patched up at least monthly, preferably as often as possible (although this is a necessity on an system).

Lucky someone managed to find an undo code for it pretty much instantly.

In other news, I've read that you can pretty much use a 8-series samsung phone with a dock as a desktop computer. Not that google is much better than Ms - they both make their money selling user data - but their software people seem to be a bit more capable.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

DarrenM wrote:Leaked exploit or leaked backdoor?

https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware ... ft.en.html
Bloody good link. Thanks!
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Completely agree with them. It wasn't so long ago another company was coping it from all sides about "it's truely safe to have a Gov only backdoor, nothing bad can happen"

Well now it's been confirmed.

From that link
Free software developers also stop maintaining old versions of their programs, but this is not unfair to users because the users of free software have control over it. If it is important enough to you, you and other users can hire someone to support the old version on your future platforms.
This shit open source tards spew is silly. It's exactly the same issue but somehow it's different because open sauce bro :rolleyes:
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Yes, but no. It's the same shit, except I - as my company - can't go to m$ and ask them to change or patch something in - let's say - xp, they won't give a shit. Well, maybe for exorbitant money, which puts it into the entirely un-feasible basket, we don't have millions to spend on this. On a linux system though, using an open source software it's feasible, because the whole thing is available, mostly well documented. I just need a capable fella to do the thing, if the original authors are not available. Costs are magnitudes lower.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

I'll put some details around this just for future reference.

Work asked about a years extra support for Windows XP as it was end of life (for support/critical patching). Microsoft asked for $200/PC.

I just think people's views are automatically adjusted to propping up open source in all views. It just needs adjusting. That's all :)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Sorry, in that case you're right. I've heard of really ridiculous figures (must have been misinformation, maybe even maliciously spread). $200/yr is not bad at all.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

All good. I'm sure there are cases where it's better or worse :)

In all I do agree with Microsoft pushing hard to Windows 10 (not that I like the spying/undesirable "features" in it) and it has greatly hurt the place I work for because OEM's hands are tied however this idea Microsoft should support all versions forever and a day has equally or even more so hurt themselves.

I say make the smart moves and tell Devs well in advance, if they choose to be slack and not customer focused, fuck em.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

From some one that used to do coding work at MS(not me) said, they could implement most security features instantly and a few more with some slight changes, as win xp-10 core back end is not that different.

But the new boss wants nothing to do with the old OS's, as there moving in a different direction now with OS/updates-grades, going further.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Business models are changing, I've noticed a few companies trying it out. Microsoft is no exception here.