Suck it cyclists

all the ARSE dribble
Muppet

Suck it cyclists

Post by Muppet »

Too scared to actually put this on the cyclists forum because they'll murder me.

http://snip.ly/qv6tt#http://www.theage. ... wz2cb.html

You'll be all off to buy your overpriced carbon fibre lite weight holders now, which you all will bitch about adding .2 of a monkeys asshole to your PB's :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: Suck it cyclists

Post by norbs »

Why suck it? If this hasnt been law, it is ridiculous.

What shits me is people that video themselves riding. That is just fucking stupid. Look up Cycling Maven on Youtube.

I really don't understand the hate towards cyclists. Most people that complain are in 1500+kg weapons that a cyclist has no chance against. I realise there are fuckwit cyclists out there (Durian rider on Youtube), but the same can be said about any group.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

norbs wrote:Why suck it? If this hasnt been law, it is ridiculous.

What shits me is people that video themselves riding. That is just fucking stupid. Look up Cycling Maven on Youtube.

I really don't understand the hate towards cyclists. Most people that complain are in 1500+kg weapons that a cyclist has no chance against. I realise there are fuckwit cyclists out there (Durian rider on Youtube), but the same can be said about any group.
What Norbs said.........Not sure why cyclists should have to suck it??? this is just common sense to me........pedaling down the road at 50 kms per hour is texting is plain just suicide.

Just remember it is not a cyclist it's a fellow human......something that most brainless car operators fail to see..they seem to think that they own the road/world once the step into a metal box......guess what they fucking don't!!
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I don't know how people text and ride. I could maybe do it on my urban bike but never on my old road bike. I was lucky one day I didn't get run over as I touched a white line. I got caught in a rain storm. Fuck me some poo came out as the front took off from underneath me. Don't know how I stayed but as I was approaching a major intersection here in Benalla. Traffic lights were green on a 60 k limit road.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

I did once and almost went into armco at about 60KPH, seriously I hit my pedal on it. Shat myself, lesson learned, never again!!!
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

norbs wrote:I really don't understand the hate towards cyclists.
It seems to me it's just Australian's being fucking retarded and backwards as fuck (typical stance I know).

Other countries don't have this problem. It's something I noticed straight away. No beeping/yelling, just wait the few seconds and move past.

Being anal about lanes is another, other countries make much better use of the available road space.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

nah, i'm good, thanks.
Muppet wrote:Too scared to actually put this on the cyclists forum because they'll murder me.
Sounds like the same heroic bravery that you see from retards yelling abuse out of their window at me while moving (waste of time, I can never understand a word they're saying anyway). Oddly, they're never quite as mouthy when i pass them at the next set of lights. Odd.

Anyway...
As far as i gather, it was already illegal to text while riding. The only thing this changes (in Victoria) is the ability to get an on the spot fine. To be honest, I have no problem with any of that.

The issue most have with it is in the details. Basically assuming an equivalence with a driver texting is moronic. Surely, a fine should reflect the level of risk posed to others? Phone use while driving is fined heavily because of the potential damage posed by distracted driving. Hell, only yesterday in CBD Adelaide we had a driver take out a bus stop, injure two people and land on it's roof. Show me a similar tale of carnage due to distracted riding.

The other bit is the inclusion of the phrase "unless parked". What the hell does that even mean in the context of a bicycle. One of the Australian cycling advocacy rang a number of Police stations to enquire as to how that was defined. None of them knew. One suggested that it meant having both feet off the pedals. Kind of nonsensical IMHO. What this highlights is that laws written for motor vehicles don't necessarily translate directly to bicycles very well and they should be adapted to suit each particular style of transport. Instead, in the lucky country, we get moronic politicians, implementing brain dead and antiquated transport policy. Hurrah. :/
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I don't understand the hate either. But it seems like people do not like to be impeded in their cars. Anything that might slow them down or change course slightly and they lose their shit. These people are more likely to cause accidents in the cars than cyclists. But it's always those fucking arsehole cyclists causing all the trouble. There are dickheads in both camps because as humans are dickheads. Yes that means you reading this, you're a dickhead as much as I am.

We are very backwards in our tolerance in this country, but we are always calling ourselves the lucky country or the best place in the world. Unless you're different.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Doso

Post by Doso »

wabbit wrote: It seems to me it's just Australian's being fucking retarded and backwards as fuck (typical stance I know).

Other countries don't have this problem. It's something I noticed straight away. No beeping/yelling, just wait the few seconds and move past.

Being anal about lanes is another, other countries make much better use of the available road space.
I'll second this, people in Australia believe there all gods gift to driving and that anyone else is an idiot unless they are driving exactly the same vehicle and in the same way as themselves.
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

So, knowing that the arse guys were cycling enthusiasts and mainly wanting to fire up Norbs, I will now declare that this was purely a fishing expedition.

I live in an area that has wall to wall cyclist and I just let them do their thing. I gotta respect a person who's chugging up a step hill while I am cruising along in a car.

I'm sure you guys have come across dicks in cars plenty of times, but as doc said, there are plenty of dicks on bikes too who take up the whole road as well.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Well, I often meet cyclists with a death wish out here. Pedalling at 30km as a loose group, hanging (irregularly!) halfway into the 80km/h lane while having a bike lane (but the bike lane is not for 4 bikes abreast). Or simply cycling on the main road on wyong road - just for the fun of it I guess, - as there's a fully separated bike lane a few meters away. Or using the 90km/h road which has zero bike lane and worse: zero shoulder in places, it's narrow...and avoidable by taking a small detour. But no, they need to take their morning exercise there...they have a deathwish, that's for sure.

I just hope they won't fulfill it on my bonnet.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

ysu wrote:I just hope they won't fulfill it on my bonnet.
Drive safely, giving appropriate clearance when passing etc, and that won't happen. Much appreciated, thanks.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

CLP wrote:
Drive safely, giving appropriate clearance when passing etc, and that won't happen. Much appreciated, thanks.
Use the bike lanes, observe the road rules, don't ride 4 abreast. Much appreciated, thanks.

These people don't appreciate that visibility of a cyclist (or a few of them) driving in a line of cars can be zero. By the time I see them it can be emergency braking... Even a moment of inattention (eg looking into the mirror) maybe enough to end up with an accident.
I'm very much afraid of cyclists on the road, as they're are quite unreliable as a road-going species. You just never know what stupid thing they'll do next. But they come up with new stuff regularly. The other day one of these idiots was riding on the road facing me on the left - without helmet, no less!

Best prevention is for cyclists to pay a lot more attention to the environment & avoid dangerous & high-speed roads, especially since they'll always draw the shorter straw. I always do that.
(Edit: no, in fact the best prevention would be separate cycle lanes everywhere, and cycles banned from the road, however I understand it's impossible)

I love cycling, but what these people do is crazy.
And I always ride off the road if it's possible, even if it's a small detour. I value my life and safety too much to risk on someone paying attention enough. But I'm still afraid when driving around cyclists because too many of them do stupid stuff seemingly out of spite to show the car drivers that "they don't own the road".
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

ysu wrote:
CLP wrote:
Use the bike lanes, observe the road rules, don't ride 4 abreast. Much appreciated, thanks.
if it's a separated path like you were implying previously, it's not a bike lane.

I do observe road rules. Actual road rules, not the made up ones.

Oddly, I've never actually seen people riding 4 abreast, save for (rarely) a group of 2 overtaking another group of 2.. which is legal. Given how often I ride, and how long I've been riding, you'd think I'd have seen that by now.
ysu wrote: These people don't appreciate that visibility of a cyclist (or a few of them) driving in a line of cars can be zero.
If they're riding 2 abreast, then they probably do. That's the most effective way to improve visbility on the road and provide some road presence since they're now twice as wide as a single rider.
ysu wrote: By the time I see them it can be emergency braking... .
Sound like you're driving too fast for the conditions. Slow down. Simple.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Hey Ysu, have you ever visited Copenhagen?
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

CLP:
Mate, you're taking every comment at face value :) "Can be" means exactly that: "Can be".
On a 90 km/h road cars do 25m/s. And you're telling me I'm driving too fast? No, the fact is; you're riding too slow on the 90km/h road, creating a mobile chicane. We know that (from online racing, too) that it's very dangerous, don't we? The cars will travel at 90. Not me; everyone. Take that in. Let it sink in. The car driver will probably hit the cyclist before running into the oncoming traffic, too; I know I would, as sad as it sounds: It's one cyclist against two full families.
Bottom line: it's your safety; you'll end up a pancake if you don't watch it, not me.

I appreciate you looking at this from the point of the (seemingly somewhat butthurt) cyclist, but you can't say "I'm riding well so shuddup, every cyclist rides well" because they're not. A lot of them are total assamaholes, creating danger unnecessarily. As per my previous post; all those cases were experienced by me, and that's just the past two weeks.

As I said, I'm very afraid when I see a cyclist on the road, because I've never in my life seen that high percentage of negligent people on the roads as the Australian cyclist. It's like they're looking for danger.

Wabs:
No I haven't, is it nice? Or you refer to the places where they only allow cycles, no cars?
I think I'd rather not like that when we plan a family visit to Sydney and it's a rainy day :D
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

ysu wrote: On a 90 km/h road cars do 25m/s. And you're telling me I'm driving too fast?
if you can't see far enough ahead to brake safely, then yes, absolutely.
ysu wrote: The car driver will probably hit the cyclist before running into the oncoming traffic, too; I know I would, as sad as it sounds: It's one cyclist against two full families.
Bottom line: it's your safety; you'll end up a pancake if you don't watch it, not me.
So this basically highlights that lack of appropriate driver training.
Drivers can only overtake *when safe to do so*.
Oncoming traffic? doesn't sound safe to overtake to me. How about you? Maybe if we start pulling these second rate drivers off the road then things will be much safer for everyone?
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Grrrr
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

ysu wrote:But I'm still afraid when driving around cyclists because too many of them do stupid stuff seemingly out of spite to show the car drivers that "they don't own the road".
I tried to stay out of this, but fuck me.

I am the first to recognise there are idiot cyclists. That can not be denied. But, you are saying that cyclists risk their lives taking on 2 tonne of metal to prove a point?

This is the sort of backwards thinking that makes the idiot motorist (and let me be very clear, 99.9% of motorists are fine) think he can take revenge. Sadly, the consequences when the motorist take action can mean a person in a coffin.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

norbs wrote:
ysu wrote:But I'm still afraid when driving around cyclists because too many of them do stupid stuff seemingly out of spite to show the car drivers that "they don't own the road".
I tried to stay out of this, but fuck me.

I am the first to recognise there are idiot cyclists. That can not be denied. But, you are saying that cyclists risk their lives taking on 2 tonne of metal to prove a point?

This is the sort of backwards thinking that makes the idiot motorist (and let me be very clear, 99.9% of motorists are fine) think he can take revenge. Sadly, the consequences when the motorist take action can mean a person in a coffin.
Too true.

I'm not saying cyclists try to do it; I'm saying it *seems* like they do. Maybe not, quite possibly it's often just inattention or complete carelessness, but it certainly looks like it, sometimes. Like road raging against a truck in a renault clio. I'm sure you've seen the like.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

CLP wrote:
ysu wrote: On a 90 km/h road cars do 25m/s. And you're telling me I'm driving too fast?
if you can't see far enough ahead to brake safely, then yes, absolutely.
ysu wrote: The car driver will probably hit the cyclist before running into the oncoming traffic, too; I know I would, as sad as it sounds: It's one cyclist against two full families.
So this basically highlights that lack of appropriate driver training.
Drivers can only overtake *when safe to do so*.
Oncoming traffic? doesn't sound safe to overtake to me. How about you? Maybe if we start pulling these second rate drivers off the road then things will be much safer for everyone?
Hm...you act like you never drove a car and realised - quite late - that something is happening 2 cars up. Hell, even one car ahead, if you're in a lower car following a packed UTE. It does not mean you are speeding, it does not mean you're doing something wrong, merely that you're not leaving 100m following distance at 100km/h travelling speed. And no-one can blame you for it; with that sort of distances a road's throughput it quite severely impacted, people will tailgate you and/or overtake you regularly, so you'll just cause trouble for your own self. So people don't do it, and that's usually quite OK. Nothing happens for years. Hey, they can even check who's calling on the mobile, quickly, or change the channel on the radio, maybe check why the kid is shrieking in the back, etc (don't tell me you've never done anything like this!). Except if the unlucky cyclist is right there, it's too bad.

The important thing here is that you can lecture me on safe distances and speeds, driver training, whatever, and you can be 100% right. However, it won't change anything if you're "flat right" under a car or a truck.

Bikes and cars don't mix. Best would be to divert cyclists from high-speed roads altogether - if they wanted to save lives. But you can watch when that'll happen, it's too expensive. In the meantime, the longevity of you as a cyclist mostly depends on your own decisions, if you risk high-speed roads; your choice. Not a good choice, in my opinion, but it's yours to make.
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

I was never comfortable riding on roads without a very healthy shoulder and would actively avoid those without, even on my 100 mile rides.

I think for the most part to ride on a regular road in the lane is staggeringly stupid. Slightest inattention or error from any driver and you are strawberry jam.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

ysu wrote:
Hm...you act like you never drove a car and realised - quite late - that something is happening 2 cars up.
I can't, off the top of my head, think of an occasion that it's happened. Presuming it has though, maybe I've modified my driving so it doesn't happen? Who knows? Maybe my driving environment is vastly different?
ysu wrote: Hey, they can even check who's calling on the mobile, quickly, or change the channel on the radio, maybe check why the kid is shrieking in the back, etc (don't tell me you've never done anything like this!).
Nope, never.
Phone stays in the pocket and never touched, radio is generally off, and I don't have kids, so having one shrieking in the back would be a bit of a surprise.

All those things would violate distracted driving laws anyway (to varying degrees). I'm well aware of the outcomes of distracted driving, so I'm not very well going to do it myself and put others at risk.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

May I say how surprised I was to see a 3ft rule (between passing car and pedestrian or bicycle) being widely promoted while in New Mexico and Gotta-have-a-big-ass-truck-Houston.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]