The sharing economy...

all the ARSE dribble
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

The sharing economy...

Post by smithcorp »

Chinese umbrella-sharing startup loses most of its 300,000 umbrellas in three months

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2017/7/10 ... ost-300000
Montey

Re: The sharing economy...

Post by Montey »

This just proves that the only way to build a business based on an ideology is to be a religion.

Under almost all circumstances human nature trumps ideology every time (unless you're a religion and are leveraging human nature to sell your ideology).

In this case, enough people have an instinctive nature of "if I don't think I'll get caught then I can commit a crime".
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

If you just make the deposit more than the cost of the umbrella, you'll be on a winner.
Bails MacKenzie

Post by Bails MacKenzie »

GT VIRUS wrote:If you just make the deposit more than the cost of the umbrella, you'll be on a winner.
You may as well just sell the umbrellas.

I had this great piece written up, but I looked into this sharing thing in depth.

There are two-four (depends on the article) umbrella sharing companies in China, all use the same umbrella design that charges for the umbrella being open.
Most of them have been financed by outside companies and the Umbrella rental cost is around the same as just buying a regular umbrella from a subway station anyway.

It's not the sharing economy at fault, it's China being a country with some dumb investors who want to fund local shit.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

As with the current bike-sharing nonsense in China (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-21/c ... ts/8543720) it shows the inefficiencies and negative outcomes of private approaches to sharing economy. The volume required to dominate the market, especially in China, means massive waste and big losers.

Dumb - just highlights the importance of regulation for mine.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

It could be worse, sock sharing.

The sicko's from FNF know what I'm on about :D
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Montey

Post by Montey »

Dr. Pain wrote:It could be worse, sock sharing.

I'm thinking of starting a password sharing company. If you share your password with me I will ensure it never gets lost.*

*I also reserve the right to sell your password to anyone who wants to give me money.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Dr. Pain wrote:It could be worse, sock sharing.

:eyepop: :rofl:
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.