How fake news works

all the ARSE dribble
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

How fake news works

Post by smithcorp »

My Father-in-Law's brother excitedly showed me this video about an amazing news story where a dolphin saved a dog from sharks. Here's the video he showed me:

He really believed this was from a new story. I said "how was this filmed, how did they get this angle, this is from some movie?" but he was adamant.

Five minutes searching turned up this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeus_and_Roxanne

So its from some crappy 1997 telemovie and has been banging around YT for years as some supposed evidence of dolphins having empathy or something. Tell me how does an adult watch that clip and conclude its a real news story?
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: How fake news works

Post by w00dsy »

Despite people having all the world's information in their pockets these days, people are somehow getting stupider. Anti vaxxers, flat earthers etc
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

People believe what they want to be true, not what is actually true.
eek
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

This is why i deleted Facebook.

Sent via a computational networked mobile device
Coopz
King of the Wierd
King of the Wierd

Post by Coopz »

The world is sadly getting dumber..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
norbs wrote:
Stop bullying him. You have more birthdays each year than he gets roots!
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

We have access to all the information but we don't have the critical thinking skills to parse it. It's how we've ended up with Brexit and Trump, and how ridiculous movements as mentioned above inexplicably become a debate, instead of being dismissed outright for being bloody stupid.

Having grown up and worked with the internet, I think I'm relatively good at filtering good information from bad but some of the stuff that people accept without blinking is shocking. The hardest part is changing somebody's mind, as it's not a question of presenting facts because they'll go and find a website where somebody has written a load of opposing facts. It doesn't matter that they're demonstrably bullshit. If somebody has written it and it's on the internet, somebody will consider that a fact.

Here's another example:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/zahrahirji/how ... .qfp37VZMl

The incorrect story was shared a billion times, the correction passes by like a fart in the wind.

That old quote by Einstein has never been more true:
Einstein wrote:A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is still putting its pants on
Only now it's all the way round the world.

;)