NBN

all the ARSE dribble
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Re: NBN

Post by ysu »

Yeah, that 18 maybe ISP limited...try it other times to see if it jumps up when the times are not busy, eg morning.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

There is one major reason that Wireless broadband, until a new method is discovered, will always be inferior to Wired broadband. You will notice congestion on wireless connections more than on wired, wireless will feel like it's at full capacity even if it is not sometimes. This is because of the way devices access the medium, either the tower in wireless or the cable in wired is different.

Wireless used an access method called CSMACA, which is carrier sense, multi-access with collision avoidance and wired uses CSMACD which is the same except with collision detection. How this works is pretty simple, think of a road analogy, to achieve collision avoidance, you would negotiation with the road organiser (in wireless, the Tower) for access to the road, and only if no one else is using that piece of road, does the road organiser say sure, you can now use the road. You get your pass, you jump on the road and get off at your exit, then it's someone elses turn, thus avoiding collisions.

In wired it uses collision detection, which basically says, yep there are others on this bit of road, but if you sense a gap in the road, jump on, the more the merrier and then the road organiser only reacts once there is a car crash, at which point it tells everyone else, oops, there's been a crash, use another road.

What this means is that in wireless, the more users viaing to get access, the slower and slower it gets as the tower negotiates access. This method was chosen because of the inherint nature of the likelyhood of more collisions of signals in a wireless network. This has been the method for radio signals for a very long time, think of a two way radio for instance.

Sure, they might in the future work out a better method of accessing the network, but for now this is what we have and is the reason why wireless, even though it's able to achieve some very impressive speeds now, will always feel a little slower than it does in a wired network, especially as more users get on board. In wired networks we only feel this congestion when the maximum throughput of the link is being reached, you know when your sister is watching 4k youtube while you are trying to online race.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Muppet, got a simple solution... do not give her a 4K screen.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Thanks for the comments w00dsy and Ysu. You're both right, something weird that day. It settled on 64/37, some times getting into the very low-mid 70s but I'd rather say min speeds rather than a random lucky score.

By chance I looked into what my router was doing and researched what's available these days. Purchased a new one and I'm now getting 95/37.

Comparing the routers

Date: 2012 vs 2017
CPU: 300Mhz vs 1.8Ghz (dual core)
RAM: 64MB vs 512MB
Flash: 16MB vs 256MB
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Sure, blame the users...
Except the bandwith from gaming pales in comparison to streaming HD video from Youtube or Netflix.

"Online gamers have been called out by the head of the National Broadband Network as a major cause of congestion on the fixed wireless network."
NBN chief blames online 'gamers predominantly' for fixed wireless congestion
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Yep, nonsense.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Gee that is stupid.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

It's quite surprising how much our leaders don't know about the specific areas they work in. The higher you go, the less the knowledge, eh?
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Their own website contradicts what Morrow has said...

https://www.nbnco.com.au/blog/entertain ... mples.html

Morrow doesn't really give a flying fuck. With the help of the Liberals he's driven it into the ground and will walk away at the end of the year and not look back.

Not even a change of government will save the NBN at this stage. Far too many areas are already RFS via FTTN. Anything that isn't already under construction will be done via FTTC (another stop-gap).
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Yeah, NBN is now a 10yr solution, not a 100yr one.
eek
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I like the 91% NBN ad on atm. We've got 91% of all connections right the first time! :wtf:

Imagine you've just built a new house and the electrician said that only 91% of your lights will work, fuck you'd be pissed.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
StanDaam

Post by StanDaam »

KNAPPO wrote:Except the bandwith from gaming pales in comparison to streaming HD video from Youtube or Netflix.
They read your post Knappo!!
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-06/o ... th/9836186
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Isn't funny how VPN usage isn't ever discussed :D
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

No idea how accurate this is.....

Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

That just states how much bandwidth each game/service demands. That does not mention how much traffic at any given time is running through the network, which would actually be relevant.

I suspect that most people are feeling bandwidth pain because more people are being shoved onto shared network paths than they used to and now the evening 'veg in front of the TV' is increasingly becoming a Netflix/other HD stream rather than FTA broadcast.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
StanDaam

Post by StanDaam »

norbs wrote:No idea how remarkably similar this is to the post 2 up from it is.....
:dog:
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Did anyone hear that noise? Like an echo?

:D
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.