Post by smithcorp »

Oh FFS

I'm in an HFC area...
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Re: NBN

Post by Duke »

Fark I'm glad I haven't taken the plunge even though our area has had HFC NBN for months. We have friends in the neighborhood who have had no internet or landline phone for over 3 months cause of NBN. What a farken joke of a company they are, while every Telco has to deal with customer backlash that is hardly ever their fault.
NBN has confirmed it is "pausing" further orders of NBN service over HFC technology, effective immediately. The company plans to get through the current backlog of orders and will still take orders for service from ISPs over the next two weeks, but customers waiting for service after that will have their access to the national broadband network delayed.
https://www.cnet.com/au/news/nbn-halts- ... -9-months/
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

My current cable is pretty good - long may it remain (though I think they won't maintain it as actively). NBN will have to go down in future as Australia's biggest infrastructure disaster (and completely avoidable).
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Pretty much every Tech I know working in the HFC footprint hates the shit. The same customers being visited on a weekly basis because of constant dropouts.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

I rang my RSP about this. I'm still good (as it mentions) for my Thursday install. My problem is I'm getting 5-6MB/s when I'm not home and down to 300KB/s at night when I badly want to use it.

It's the type of slowness where Amanda browsing FB or Instagram can fuck my online game.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

I have shitty net at the best of times being regional QLD (get about 900kb/s on ADSL2) which gets smashed in peak times. This NBN stuff makes me irrationally angry at the fact they are SO over budget and it continually gets changed. It's an absolute rort. I bet the dickheads who managed to get this all signed off are sitting happily on their yachts.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

You can't point all the blame at the Libs (did I just say that?). The reason it was waaayyyy over budget initially was the massively over engineered initial FTTP solution that Labor implemented. It was nuts.

FTTN isn't a solution for the long term but my 50/20 is a million times better than the old adsl.
eek
Santaria

Re: RE: Re: NBN

Post by Santaria »

pixelboy wrote:You can't point all the blame at the Libs (did I just say that?). The reason it was waaayyyy over budget initially was the massively over engineered initial FTTP solution that Labor implemented. It was nuts.

FTTN isn't a solution for the long term but my 50/20 is a million times better than the old adsl.
I'm happy that your 50/20 has gotten to you bud. I really am. I'm still waiting and will be waiting a long time yet. It's slated for 2019 as it is. I'd be happy with a wireless tower in my back yard at this rate. I just want a decent connection.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Also in a HFC area and though I might be getting it before the end of the year

wabbit

Post by wabbit »

pixelboy wrote:The reason it was waaayyyy over budget initially
However they were independently reviewed four times during their NBN rollout. Never "over budget". Something doesn't add up.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

wabbit wrote:
pixelboy wrote:The reason it was waaayyyy over budget initially
However they were independently reviewed four times during their NBN rollout. Never "over budget". Something doesn't add up.

Government contract. :)

Money money money...
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
norbs

Post by norbs »

smithcorp wrote:Oh FFS

I'm in an HFC area...

You trying to trigger YSU???
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

pixelboy wrote:You can't point all the blame at the Libs (did I just say that?). The reason it was waaayyyy over budget initially was the massively over engineered initial FTTP solution that Labor implemented. It was nuts.

Eh, Pix, I'll bite. You can't be serious, mate. It's a complete, utter fuckup a'la Liberals. There are a lot of people who can't even order more than 25/5 because they simple can't get that sort of speeds reliably. And it's a bit of an expensive project for that, don't you think?

The original plan was adequate to provide most of Australia for the next 60-100 years, to have enough slack for the increasing demand in bandwidth, as well as speed (for those who need it).
The FTTN isn't just a failure of the endpoint; they've downgraded the lines to the exchanges to two fibers per box (with a third optical fiber included as a 'reserve'). That's the other reason for the congestions, I've heard.
The've saved fuck-all, really, as the digging is the most expensive part, but made the network near-instantly inadequate.

The whole thing is shit, and yes, there's only one band of cut-throats to blame; the libs. They made a political dance out of it, and fucked it up royally.

It will cost an incredible amount (akin to resetting the project for most of australia) just to get the tech back on track (if someone actually tries it) but there's of course more problems; all the contract with other companies that have been allowed to dip their bread into this cheese-pot, and all the lib-installed numpties who need to be booted & paid handsomely.

So instead of having a wold-class national network, we're world-class laughing stock, sliding backwards constantly.

The whole thing is the same I-don't-care-about-anything mentality like the Carbon Tax repeal was. That cost us some $6bn, too.

P.S. good thing the HFC really only cost a few hundred mil in buying it & training the staff...it's a drop in the fucking ocean. And it's not like we would need money anywhere, like healthcare or anything...

p.p.s. hehe, Norbs, too late!
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

norbs wrote:Government contract. :)

Money money money...
As an example of flipping the coin over the US gave the big ISPs $400B to rollout fibre to the nation. Yep you already know how that's going... it isn't. They just took the coin.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

My ftth is meant to be available in a month. Im on fixed wireless and consistently get 30mb down 5mb up so unless i can get 50/20 i won't be changing

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
Hello :aussie:
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Shaun wrote:My ftth is meant to be available in a month. Im on fixed wireless and consistently get 30mb down 5mb up so unless i can get 50/20 i won't be changing

On ftth it's not a problem, you can easily get 100/40 (well, very close to it, like 96/37). But also your pings will be single-digit to Australian servers.

An important bit: your speed depends on your ISP in this case, the fiber optics won't hold you back.

Enjoy!
It's fun to download a CD under a minute, hehe. And upload it in about 2 and a half. Backing up into the cloud is no longer an issue.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Damnit was tired after work. FttN lol

Hello :aussie:
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Shaun wrote:Damnit was tired after work. FttN lol
Depends on distance to the pillar, quality/age of cable from there to your house and the internal cabling.
brocko

Post by brocko »

i'm on FttN, a really half arsed solution.I'm 1km from node, when i got connected i had 24d 5up. really shit. Since then removed all extra wiring, i think there were 5 phone points in my house now i get 43d 17u. It's ok but for how long, not future proof at all
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I'm one of the lucky ones, FTTP 100/40, I'm never moving house :lol:

Like I said elsewhere recently, in comparison to the Labor NBN the Libs, and yes it is 100% the Libs fault, have successfully achieved a much worse product for the same or higher cost. As soon as the NBN became a political issue we were fucked and the worst part is that we will more than likely have to go to full FTTP at some point in the future paying whatever that will cost on top of what is being spent now.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Sarsippius wrote:I'm one of the lucky ones, FTTP 100/40, I'm never moving house :lol:

Like I said elsewhere recently, in comparison to the Labor NBN the Libs, and yes it is 100% the Libs fault, have successfully achieved a much worse product for the same or higher cost. As soon as the NBN became a political issue we were fucked and the worst part is that we will more than likely have to go to full FTTP at some point in the future paying whatever that will cost on top of what is being spent now.

This is the one that has got me. I used to think the same, but if 5G is as good as they are reporting, well, I am not so sure anymore.

That said, 4G runs at nearly 100/50 at 1am here. During summer, it times out all day due to congestion.

If they get the bandwidth behind the switches for 5G, that could change things.

My tech side still says fibre to the premises is the go.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

There will never be enough available channels for everyone to make full use of 4G/5G as a main internet connection. Wireless/Wifi will always be a complimentary technology.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Wireless is not well suited for this purpose. It can be used, but not the best.
And it can get congested pretty badly, too.
Besides, it'll never be as quick as a fiber, nor as independent of power/weather/sunspots, etc...

On the other hand it's in the hands of big telcos, so they'll push the agenda I'm sure.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Install went well today. Used the Telstra HFC cable and not the Optus one (wish Telstra told me it was available years ago, Optus has been fucking disgusting with congestion). New splitter and cable into house. Tested all "green". Had some "birthing certificate" issue from NBN to the NTD. Bloke said don't worry happens all the time and it'll happen within 2 hours.

After 30mins I thought it can't hurt to try, connected my router to the NTD, yep it's working. 25/5 as expected. Noticed it was $15/month extra for 100/40. Thought I might as well find out what the real limit is... and it's 75/18.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

18 up is odd given your down is 75. I get 68/34 on my FTTN.