Anyone got a spare room?

all the ARSE dribble
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Anyone got a spare room?

Post by durbster »

A work colleague and her fella are heading off on on a trip round Australia and New Zealand in a few weeks. As they're going to be away for three months, money will be tight I thought I'd see if there was any Aussie hospitality going to save them a night in a hostel :D

They're arriving in Adelaide on Feb 6th then have a month before they fly out of Melbourne. They want to do the Great Ocean Road on the way so are hiring a car, but I don't think they have any other plans for that bit really. After that, I think they're flying to Sydney then flying to Brisbane before making their own way up to Cairns,

I know this is a big ask but I also know how welcoming you Aussies are :D

Also, my nephew and his mate are planning to head your way soon too, so I might be asking again in a few weeks.

A more reasonable request, any tips of places to go between Adelaide and Melbourne aside from the GOR? I've mentioned Mt Gambier and although it's a bit out of the way, I've suggested a trip to the Grampians is worthwhile. I also said heading up to Flinders Ranges from Adelaide is cool but might be a bit far and not very hire car friendly.

Thanks.

:aussie:
Santaria

Re: Anyone got a spare room?

Post by Santaria »

I checked with my wife and she said there's a room for as long as they want/need on the way through from Brissy to Cairns. We're in Calliope, QLD. We're 7 hours from Brisbane and 13 hours from Cairns. Pretty much will have to drive past our front door on the way through. Only 1 condition: they have to bring UK chocolate. We didn't get much this year from my wife's relos....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Amazing. Thanks Santa!

I will put it to them with the conditions, although they'll have been on the road for a few weeks by the time they're up your way so I don't know what state the chocolate would be in :D

I'm trying to figure out if we saw Calliope. I know we stayed for a night in 1770 so we probably drove through on to our next stop.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

durbster wrote:Amazing. Thanks Santa!

I will put it to them with the conditions, although they'll have been on the road for a few weeks by the time they're up your way so I don't know what state the chocolate would be in :D

I'm trying to figure out if we saw Calliope. I know we stayed for a night in 1770 so we probably drove through on to our next stop.
1770 is about one and a half hours from where we are but if you went further north from there you would've driven past Calliope. All good ont he chocolate front.. UK choc melts fast as here, lol
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

That just reminded me, a while ago I found my notebook where I'd written down all the places we stopped at and visited. I started putting it all in a Google map to help remember.

Unfortunately I got three quarters of the way and I hit the limit for the number of markers on the editor. I had to stop so this is incomplete! :(

I think we must have missed Calliope as it looks like we went from 1770, stopped at Lake Awoonga for lunch then went on to Gladstone. I remember the lake because I had to fix something on the van there, and I think it was a petrol station in Gladstone who had some orphaned joeys behind the counter. :kangaroo:

Anyway, I've passed it on to my colleague and she said to say thanks. It sounds like they're going to wing it from Brisbane yet so I've just asked them to give as much notice as possible either way.

I'm off to wallow in my nostalgia now.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

If they get stuck in Brisbane we have a spare room. :yes:
:teach:
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

durbster wrote:Any tips of places to go between Adelaide and Melbourne aside from the GOR? I've mentioned Mt Gambier and although it's a bit out of the way, I've suggested a trip to the Grampians is worthwhile.
Robe is beautiful , just down the road is Beachport which is on my to do list. Just inland from here and between Robe and Mt Gambier is Naracoorte Caves National Park. which have a series of 28 World Heritage listed caves you can explore but they do charge. Another nice coastal place on the way to the GOR is Nelson, I went there years ago and its always stuck with me as a place to go back and visit. If they like diving Piccaninnie Ponds is worth a stop.

Closer to Adelaide there is always Victor Harbor and Goolwa which are worth a stop if they plan on heading down Mt Gambier way.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

VTRacing wrote:If they get stuck in Brisbane we have a spare room. :yes:
Thanks, you're a star. I've let them know.
KNAPPO wrote: Robe is beautiful , just down the road is Beachport which is on my to do list. Just inland from here and between Robe and Mt Gambier is Naracoorte Caves National Park. which have a series of 28 World Heritage listed caves you can explore but they do charge. Another nice coastal place on the way to the GOR is Nelson, I went there years ago and its always stuck with me as a place to go back and visit. If they like diving Piccaninnie Ponds is worth a stop.

Closer to Adelaide there is always Victor Harbor and Goolwa which are worth a stop if they plan on heading down Mt Gambier way.
This is great stuff, thanks knappo.

I didn't know most of these (and I'm thinking we should have spent a bit more time exploring the area around Adelaide as it looks like we missed a lot).

I know this forum is fairly quiet these days but it's still one of the best places on the internet :yes:
StanDaam

Post by StanDaam »

We just got back from most of the places Knappo mentioned, excellent times!!.
We ended up having 5 days at Kangaroo Island, that place is sooo massive and has heaps to do!!
Swimming with wild dolphins was well wicked fun!!
:photo:
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

StanDaam wrote:We just got back from most of the places Knappo mentioned, excellent times!!.
We ended up having 5 days at Kangaroo Island, that place is sooo massive and has heaps to do!!
KI is great. Last time I was there we stayed at Kingscote on the east side of the island and decided to watch the sun set at Remarkable Rocks on the west side. That drive back across the island was one of the worst Ive ever done. Soooo many kangaroos jumping across the road! My eldest son was under 1yrs old at the time and he was chucking a wobbly so we stopped to feed him. When we started the car and flicked the lights on we had 15 roo's around the car.

The whole drive home my eyes were like this looking out for roo's. :eyepop:
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
StanDaam

Post by StanDaam »

KNAPPO wrote:My eldest son was under 1yrs old at the time and he was chucking a wobbly so we stopped to feed him. When we started the car and flicked the lights on we had 15 roo's around the car.
I'm seeing that as... Starring Knappo in Alfred Hitchcock's sensational follow up to 'The Birds', 'Dusk and Dawn!!'
:bike:
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

KNAPPO wrote:
StanDaam wrote:We just got back from most of the places Knappo mentioned, excellent times!!.
KI is great. Last time I was there we stayed at Kingscote on the east side of the island and decided to watch the sun set at Remarkable Rocks on the west side. That drive back across the island was one of the worst Ive ever done. Soooo many kangaroos jumping across the road! My eldest son was under 1yrs old at the time and he was chucking a wobbly so we stopped to feed him. When we started the car and flicked the lights on we had 15 roo's around the car.

The whole drive home my eyes were like this looking out for roo's. :eyepop:
I remember a drive like that. :D

We barely did any driving at night but one time we were working at a farm near Ti Tree, right in the centre. One evening I agreed to drive some of the few miles to the only nearby pub; the closest pub to ALL of Australia's beaches, according to a sign on the wall.

It was probably after midnight when we headed back. The wife, myself and four or five massive drunk Tongan blokes piled into the car and we set off down the Stuart Highway. We didn't get far before I had to hit the brakes because of a kangaroo in the road. That was lucky, I thought, before nearly hitting another, and another. They were bloody everywhere. :kangaroo:

We probably averaged about 15mph in the end. Thankfully, I don't think we saw another car. :D
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Looks like the rooms won't be needed but many thanks anyway.

My work colleague is having an absolute blast out there and loved Kangaroo Island and Sydney in particular so far.

My nephew and his mate flew out a few weeks ago and having been plodding around Perth and Fremantle, but I don't think they've quite settled into it yet.