December 2010 - Report

LFS chat
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

December 2010 - Report

Post by Rots »

So the devs have released an update report.... Same old lame excuses, not worth linking.

:)
Scottie

Re: December 2010 - Report

Post by Scottie »

how do they keep going?!

Do they really have enough subscriptions to LFS to keep it going? Personally, I'm amazed!
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

I thought the same rots. A quick read then deleted the email. I honestly think LFS will never return to the status it had many years ago.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

A full year after the scheduled release date for the VW.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Scottie wrote:how do they keep going?!
Well, they don't really go anywhere, do they?
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

ysu wrote:
Scottie wrote:how do they keep going?!
Well, they don't really go anywhere, do they?
Or do they?
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

For people that might of changed there email addresses.
LFS Newsletter - Progress Report

Hello [Insert Name Here],

We hope you have had a good year.

The stable Z28 has been the latest version for a long time now, while we have been working on things for the long term future of LFS. As many of you know, the tyre physics system is being updated so all the cars will behave that bit closer to reality. It has proved to be a challenging and unpredictable project, involving a lot of studying, mathematics, testing and rewriting.

Sometimes, we had a version that felt good to drive and it seemed that soon we would be able to release it to the community. But then we found situations where the simulation produced incorrect results, leading to further investigations into the way tyres perform in various circumstances and why they do so. One thing tends to lead to another and for a while it seems that the more you learn about tyres, the more you realise that there is so much more to find out!

Scawen has written a little more about tyre design and simulation in case you would like to get a bit more technical.

The VW Scirocco and Rockingham have seemed quite close to release for some time now, but we decided to wait for the updated tyres because these things from the real world will be best experienced with the most realistic physics system. Eric has been working on some more S3 content but he would like to get nearer to finishing before we show any new pictures.

Victor has recently produced a special program "LFS Record" which can help you to produce smooth movies from Live for Speed, using advanced camera control. It is still in a beta stage at the moment. The program has a lot of features - too much to describe here, so if you do make movies or would like to have a go, take a look at the LFS Record thread on our forum.

Happy holidays!

- LFS Developers
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

If the tyre model is going to be as good as it can be, it might bring a few people back to lfs.

But then again iracings new tyre model could just trump it
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Just thought I'd call in to check out what was happening in the LFS world, nothing much as usual by the looks, oh well, guess I look again in another 12 months. :melt:
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

S3 (or whatever its determined to be) is the new Racing Legends? :p
WizardHat

Post by WizardHat »

I believe it's a full TWO years now Vil. The Scirocco was due for release at the end of 08.
The only thing we really need is a good tune, good view & a good brew.
Bugle

Post by Bugle »

They should make an android port of it. It's that old I think any phone has enough grunt to run it :D

They're gonna need a hell of a lot more new content to get people to buy S3, not just awesome tyre physics..
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Yep bugle

In the end I'll try s3 if it ever comes out... Until then I'm out
Doso

Post by Doso »

what a load of shit,

seriously it's been what 2 and a half years since the last major update?

What made LFS popular back in the day was the constant updates, even if they released S3 tomorrow it would be a failure as most wouldn't know or care due to the knowledge that the next update maybe 2-3years later :(

Honestly I now know why the Devs left there big game publishing jobs they had before because any supervisor/manager would not tolerate there shit
Gusto

Post by Gusto »

Good point bugle :)
richo

Post by richo »

Yes dead horse and flogging etc etc
[]D [] []v[] []D
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I actually just laughed at it & seriously thought it was some lame joke, which it actually is when you read in-between the lines. Losers!!!
What's even more funny (or frustrating if I cared anymore) is how nothing has changed since I stopped using it over 2yrs ago ;
LFSW: Last race information: (23:14 - 04 Jun '08), at least my login still works.
:lol:
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
WizardHat

Post by WizardHat »

Was just browsing the LFS forum and noticed that Nvidia have added an LFS profile to their range of new 3d Video cards, so basically Nvidia have done more work on the game in the last two years then the developers have.. I stopped caring quite a while ago that the patch was delayed & delayed & delayed. Most people understand that re-writing an integral part of the game isn't a short term thing but I think what really turned me off was the fact there was no contact from the devs at all for over a year... is it really that hard to jump on and write small progress reports each month?

I still play LFS a lot, mostly single player these days.. love making massive drift angle setups for the AI's and watching them shit bricks when the ass kicks out.
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

hahaha I also like to put ramps at the end of the back straight on Blackwood right before the right hander.... makes them shit even more bricks!
WizardHat

Post by WizardHat »

Yeah I usually use a BL1R layout with ramps just under the bridge on the back straight, but in turn I have to put barriers along the road so they don't end up on the grass because once they get there they prefer to just sit there doing 360's then finding their way back to the tarmac.
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

Rots wrote:So the devs have released an update report.... Same old lame excuses, not worth linking.

:)
So I posted that 12 months ago.

Now in December 2011 an update report has been release and it is even more pathetic than 2010's.

The completely ridiculous thing is that this new update report is virtually the same as last years! It even has a tyre model screen shot similar to last years but with more lines, oh, and taken at a different angle.

It has taken them 12 months to just had a few more lines to a 3D tyre model and rotate the image. Imagine what they could do in 12 years? WOW, a single wheel! :D

:rofl:

I needed a good 'lol' for the day and the LFS Devs delivered. :p
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

It really is a shame - this game was the Mecca of sims. It had everything, great physics coupled with hilarious major crash physics, a strong community, great support (I've spoken to Scawen himself a few times to get an issue resolved) a most importantly the greatest online racing experience I have ever had.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Sambo wrote:It really is a shame - this game was the Mecca of sims. It had everything, great physics coupled with hilarious major crash physics, a strong community, great support (I've spoken to Scawen himself a few times to get an issue resolved) a most importantly the greatest online racing experience I have ever had.
I think that last part is the most important, it really brought ppl together in an easy-to-handle fashion. Real shame about it, too.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Doso

Post by Doso »

ysu wrote:I think that last part is the most important, it really brought ppl together in an easy-to-handle fashion. Real shame about it, too.
Defiantly, the LFS devs single handedly bought together an awesome community and then killed it off

I'm honestly surprised that they are even trying to release S3 considering by the time it is released the community would be almost dead
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

Doso wrote:
ysu wrote:I think that last part is the most important, it really brought ppl together in an easy-to-handle fashion. Real shame about it, too.
Defiantly, the LFS devs single handedly bought together an awesome community and then killed it off

I'm honestly surprised that they are even trying to release S3 considering by the time it is released the community would be almost dead
Dead as in old age dead, by the way. :D