Happy Memories

LFS chat
Coopz
King of the Wierd
King of the Wierd

Happy Memories

Post by Coopz »

Fired up LFS yesterday for the first time in years, updated it and had a offline race (nothing online happening). Altho the AI are still pretty dumb, a sportscar race around Blackwood was a great challenge. The game lacks the polish and sophistication of iRacing and rFactor but its still fun:) Just made me remember some of the fantastic races I had back in the heyday at Fern Bay, Blackwood and Kyoto. GPL races were fun but never captured the same feeling. Not sure if I will find another racesim that will offer the same level of enjoyment. iRacing trys, but many races end in frustration and I don't know 95% of the other drivers. Just wish the devs continued to put 100% into LFS and the community was as strong as it was back in 2006... :(
norbs wrote:
Stop bullying him. You have more birthdays each year than he gets roots!
Jiminee

Re: Happy Memories

Post by Jiminee »

I know what you're saying, somehow iRacing ends up being a lot of work. It is great but there is just 'something' about it....
It does get better though, after a while names and voices become familiar, especially if you get into one of the regular Aussie series.
XLV SPORT
Doso

Post by Doso »

never got into the whole Iracing thing always felt quite weird physics wise from LFS (guess I got use to LFS slidy physic models)

I really miss a good close LFS race when a whole group of cars are pushing right to the limit and some of the faster guys are trying to overtake.

Just wish the devs would get off their fucking asses and push out some decent development and get the community back together :(
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

I miss it too, I've tried the rest since and none have grabbed my attention. I think it's the Aus crew in LFS that plays a big part in it. Have lost a lot of time to spend on it too though.

Nevco 300 and jump/soccer nights :yes:
EzyRider

Post by EzyRider »

I've often said we need to do a once only (just for the laughs and memories) LFS ARSE race, with all the old school racers. I know I'd be down for the giggles, and I'm pretty sure Roy and Unforgiven would be in too. Hell, we might even be able to convince Woodsy to bolt up a wheel and have a bat.. or just race with us, what ever takes his fancy :D

I volunteer Coops to set it up :P
Middle Pack Racing Watch your mirrors!

Norbs on Germaine Greer: "..that crusty old slag can tongue kiss my quivering sphincter muscle, fuck her and the pretentious boat she fucking sailed in on."
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

I'd be up for it, my time racing LFS with a bunch of Top Aussie blokes has been my best Sim Racing experience to date
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

As far as good clean and competitve racing goes, it is LFS for me hands down. I haven't played iRaping due to the subscription fees, so can't comment on it. I played a lot fo GPL. A lot of it online. It was good to, but I never had the fun I did in LFS.

Some of the best races were in the slower cars. The old blokes races in the UF1s were awesome fun. It was tight, and competitive, but still loads of fun.

It is a pity the devs let is slide.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

I think it would be a struggle for any development team to maintain the same strength of community over a 5-7 year period. People move on to the next thing. Obviously, new cars and tracks on a regular basis would have helped slow the decline, but it would still have declined.

I still have fun racing LFS on Monday nights, with a group of 30-odd fellow racers.
:teach:
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Vilante wrote:Nevco 300 and jump/soccer nights :yes:
UF1 Hoe Down :yes:
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Hoe down, now your talking. The pimp racing & jump time rocked.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I fired it up again last night for the first time since... (hmm last online race according to lfs world is June 2008) and it felt good. iRacing has the edge in a lot of areas but having a blast around South City Long in the LX4 just felt really good.
I don't know it just feels a bit more natural overall, a very different car to anything in iRacing but it was a lot more driveable (race_s setup at least) and fun. I noticed the sound engine a lot, despite its flaws it really does a good job of translating what the engine is doing and I was getting all the reverb off the buildings and wind noise down the straight.
I also think in some ways the tyre model is still more advanced than that in iRacing, iRacing is better in some areas but I think LFS still has the edge when you go past the edge of grip. iRacing has a problem there which is meant to be one of the major things in the NTM.
The other thing I really liked was I could finally trail brake again, braking in iRacing is something that's always caused me a bit of grief and trail braking, forget about it. It's like they've set things up for pressure sensitive brake pedals and the rest of us can go and get screwed, then instead of allowing us to adjust brake pressure they give us some stupid force curve thing.
Anyway this is not meant to be about my gripes with iRacing although I will say one final thing and that I can't race on iRacing for more than an hour, guess it's eye strain but I jumped on LFS after an hours practice on iRacing and it was like night and day, could've kept at it for a few hours.

I'll definitely be putting in a few more laps, want to try the FO8 next :D never know I might even try an MNR race or something :yes:
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

Hey Sarsi you can now tweak the engine sounds in game. I forget the short cut command though... Shift - A maybe?? Anywho, you can change everything from gearbox whine, intake sound, exhaust sound etc.
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

I really do miss the good old days of LFS...
Late night praccy sessions with the MPR boys, that last minute qualifying dash to make DivA in the AAL.
Most fun i've ever had in a game, ever!

I really miss it and if my old momo didn't break I would have fired it up again after reading this thread!
:tilt:
Steve
---
Virtual-R
Ninja Roy

Post by Virtual-R »

Yeah I still think LFS was 5 times more fun than iRacing, really miss racing in LFS. The amount of data you have on hand to manage and set up the car was great, with iRacing you don't get that so you have to guess most of the time the state and temperature of your tyres along with guessing how much damage you have.

Really loved the LFS enduros too, you could just get into a perfect rhythm and keep going lap after lap, I've never been able to get into a zone with iRacing but with LFS it happens almost straight away, still by far the best racing simulator around just the developers have let it burn out. If only there was an event every month or two, I'd really love to give iRacing the boot and go back to LFS but it seems pretty dead these days, not a fan of sprint racing either so iRacing is about the only option.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

SE1Z wrote:I really do miss the good old days of LFS...
Late night praccy sessions with the MPR boys, that last minute qualifying dash to make DivA in the AAL.
Most fun i've ever had in a game, ever!

I really miss it and if my old momo didn't break I would have fired it up again after reading this thread!
:tilt:
Haha, I loved the sunday night qualifying dash! So frantic watching the scoreboard update constantly... and then some arsehole would save his awesome lap and upload at the very last minute :(
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

Virtual-R wrote:... not a fan of sprint racing either so iRacing is about the only option.
Its a shame you didn't sign up for the recently completed 6 round, 2 hour enduro season at MNR.

Maybe next time?
Virtual-R
Ninja Roy

Post by Virtual-R »

[/shameless plug] lol (sniff petrol joke, no offence intended)

Actually after posting that comment I thought I'd check out the MNR site and see if it was still mostly sprint racing, seen that series in the forums. Would have been willing to give it a go, hadn't checked the website in over a year so just assumed it was the same as before, mostly sprints with 1 enduro per season. Let me know if you guys run it again I'd be up for it if it's single driver format
peter

Post by peter »

I too have been missing the good old days with the MPR boys. Hey guys :D hehe
SamC
Photographer, not artist.

Post by SamC »

Ahhh they were the days, MNR FXR Championship, last round at Blackwood, if I finished in front of Scottie then I win the championship, if I don't I lose(I think it was something like that).....ended up running out of fuel up the pit lane on my in-lap to refuel lol, some fantastic races when everyone was still around, LFS will always be king! Awesome fun :D
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

Scottie just had a few beers and single Playa laps at South City. Wish he had some time for things more organised, but such is life.

Find memories with all the blokes from here are re-lived at will!
Thank you for those fun times!

You all know whom you are 😁👍
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Say hi to Scottie for me.
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

*Fond memories even...

:D
Cutter
Legend in his own lunchtime
Legend in his own lunchtime

Post by Cutter »

From what can see on the LFS & Reddit forums, the modding is going off like a frog in a sock

https://modslfs.com/

https://www.lfs.net/files/vehmods
Cutter ~ Carl Rickard

Scottie

Post by Scottie »

Wow!
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

I wonder how many of them are quality, and not ripped from other games?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.