PS4 Pro games for kids

General game chat
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

PS4 Pro games for kids

Post by durbster »

I've just purchased my first ever games console. :eek:

My boy is Star Wars mad and wants to play Battlefront (the first one) with his mate, so I thought it's probably time I got a console for the house as his Christmas present.

I'm waaaaaay out of the loop as far as the gaming world is concerned, especially consoles. I've got Fifa and Battlefront already, and have been looking at Little Big Planet, Unravelled and maybe Rocket League. Any other suggestions for suitable games for a family / 7 year old?

And then maybe something for me after he's gone to bed. :D

I'm struggling to find something that I might want to play. I struggle with FPS games on consoles, it always feels clumsy having been used to playing them on mouse and keyboard for years. Don't mind older games if I can pick them up second hand - the price of new games is the main reason I've never bought a console because I'm a tight-arse. :)
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Re: PS4 Pro games for kids

Post by KNAPPO »

durbster wrote:Any other suggestions for suitable games for a family / 7 year old?

And then maybe something for me after he's gone to bed. :D

I'm struggling to find something that I might want to play. I struggle with FPS games on consoles, it always feels clumsy having been used to playing them on mouse and keyboard for years. Don't mind older games if I can pick them up second hand - the price of new games is the main reason I've never bought a console because I'm a tight-arse. :)

I just picked up a 500GB PS4 slim today as well, will upgrade the HDD IF I manage to fill it but as itll mainly get loaded with kids games first this will take a little while. Similar case Durbs, its for my 7yo and twin 4yo's and myself, didnt go the Pro as I dont and wont have a 4k tv any time soon.

Will be getting Minecraft for the kids, they freakin love it. Minecraft: Story Mode - Season Pass Deluxe is $14.95 on the AU Playstation store at the moment so that will be a goer.
I got a $20 voucher when I purchased the PS4 so will get Little Big Planet 3 for $4 after discount as they seemed to like the first version on the PS3 when I rolled it out a few months ago and even I enjoyed that game.

In my case the 4yo's watch when the 7yo is playing so wont go for any fighting or shooting style games yet. We have enough problems with in brother fighting as it is lol.

The remake of Crash Bandicoot looks good and Ratchet and Clank also looks pretty fun for the kids. Ill probably grab Trackmania Turbo for myself but I wont be getting many car games like Gran Turismo as ide rather play AC or Project Cars 2 on my PC.

Im really hanging out for Red Dead Redemption 2 which was a major plus for me getting the PS4 in the first place. I loved the first one on the PS3 and with it never making it to PC and GTA being released on console waaaaaay before PC it swayed me to picking up a PS4 in the Black Friday sales.

Going back to the shop to vaporise the $20 voucher on the way home tonight and also checkout what 2nd hand pre-owned games they have on offer as full price console games are a rip off. Durbs check out your local online Playstation Store, there is a Black Friday sale on and some games prices end 28/11/17 and others are ending 2/12/17. Im planning on setting up the PS4 and pre loading some stuff on it then re boxing it up as its a Christmas present for me and the boys.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

And of the Lego Star Wars games should hit the spot.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

You didn't say which console, dubster.

I didn't like FPS on consoles either, but I really enjoyed the Uncharted series and Last of Us on the PS3. You can get them all for PS4. Not for the kiddies of course :)

Haven't been tempted to a PS4 yet. Maybe when Red Dead Redeption 2 and Last of Us 2 are out.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

DarrenM wrote:You didn't say which console, dubster
Title of the thread. :)

Thanks for that deals link Wabbit, glad they have an AU store.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

KNAPPO wrote:Thanks for that deals link Wabbit.
You're welcome. I should have also mentioned, create an account and add anything to your watched list. Hopefully you'll never pay full price.

Oh and of course you've still gotta check the staples like JB, EB Games, BigW, Target, etc for the "best deal". The PSDeals site is really eye opening because the PS Store app in the PS4 is terrible at showing everything that's discounted and it changes all the time.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

wabbit wrote:The PSDeals site is really eye opening because the PS Store app in the PS4 is terrible at showing everything that's discounted and it changes all the time.
Yeah ive found using the pc and browsing the store is much easier than via the PS4 which I began setting up last night.
I might have missed something but I Favourited a few titles in the desktop store but couldnt find the Favourite filter on the PS Store via the PS4. I ended up making the purchase back on the desktop as it was just easier than re finding the content...

The "Price Stats" section once signed up is great. Cool being able to see its lowest vs highest price before deciding to splurge or play the market and try and find it cheaper at a brick n mortar store or on Gumtree 2nd hand.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

This is great information, thanks everyone. Ironically the boy has suddenly got interested in his Wii again but I'm sure seeing a brand new PS4 will soon see that put back in the box.

The only problem I have now is finding an excuse to buy a 4k TV to make best use of it. Our ten year old Samsung just won't die :D
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

durbster wrote:Ironically the boy has suddenly got interested in his Wii again but I'm sure seeing a brand new PS4 will soon see that put back in the box.
Yeah I hear ya about the Wii. My boys just love Mario. I almost went with a Nintendo Switch but we get enough fights with sharing of tablets as it is so I could see that wouldn't go down well in the longer run. I think even with the PS4 the Wii will live on purely due to Mario which is fine with me, I loved Mario as a kid.

I got some sweet deals during the Black Friday weekend sales on digital copies and playing PSDeals.net's lowest price history stats against what JB HiFi and EB Games were selling pre-owned titles. I also traded in a bunch of old PS3 games that were not kid friendly and picked up Watch Dogs 2 for $3 yesterday. I actually had more I could have traded but decided to keep them for another day/trade.

As it stands the PS4 is loaded and ready for Christmas Day and the holidays. Glad Ive set it up now, some of the downloads and updates have taken a while.

LEGO Worlds
Lego City Undercover
Minecraft
Minecraft Story Mode Season 1 & 2
Little Big Planet 3
Ratchet & Clank
Rayman Legends
Crash Bandicoot

For me:
Trackmania Turbo
Firewatch
Watch Dogs 2

I started playing Ratchet & Clank whilst Watch Dogs was updating last night and its a lot of fun. I can see some of the animation style scaring the kids a bit but if they play it with me they should be fine. Very fun game and the graphics/art style is outstanding. Same goes for Rayman Legends, im really looking forward to playing thru these two gamers myself lol.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Hmm that's a point. I was just going to wrap the box up as it is but I probably should set it up first to get all the updates are installed so it's ready to go on the day. And I can have a sneaky game of FIFA to make sure it all works :D
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Yeah updates can take ages. Even brand new games often have Gb's of updates before you can play and the PS4 itself often gets them too.

I'd also vote for Ratchet and Clank. Played them on the PS2 and they were great fun. I think the PS4 version is basically a reboot of the original.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

durbster wrote:Hmm that's a point. I was just going to wrap the box up as it is but I probably should set it up first to get all the updates are installed so it's ready to go on the day.
Its worth doing thats for sure. There was a system update of a few 100MB to do before I did anything.

I got a 2nd controller last night and they way it works is you assign a 2nd user to it once you press the PS button to pair it to the system. You can play as a guest but as the kids will be using the system I decided to setup the parental controls side of things and a user for each of them. With their own user they can have their own save game data ect. Glad I did as its handy as.

I have a passcode on my account so they can never login as me and I turned off auto login on boot up. When you setup the account for a child you can set limits to what types of games/DVD/Blueray and block internet access. So when Jake logs in there are a few games he cant even see the icon for, its just a padlock. When im logged in and he joins, those same games that are outside his access level go into lockdown.

I like it.