Half Life 1 Redux

General game chat
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Re: Half Life 1 Redux

Post by Big Kev »

Yeah I really enjoyed all of the HL stuff. It's a pity they never did HL2 EP3 to round off the story. It was such a well thought out series of games.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

in my opinion, it is one of the most overrated games of all time along with the sequel (and episodes)
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

News of the impending release has even made it onto the BBC..

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19463712" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For me, HL1 was a bit of a ground-breaking game, HL2 and the episodes weren't such a big hit with me, although I have re-installed HL2:Ep2 to make sure I have the required SDK on my machine in time for next week.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

One of the most remarkable things about HL1 was the beginning where, essentially, nothing happened. You were simply walking around not killing things which was groundbreaking for a FPS. Valve brought story and tension into gaming like never before.

I read an article recently from one of the Valve designers saying how the industry is lacking imagination and he was dead right. Playing through HL2 recently and it is striking how distinctive it is throughout. The games industry has become like the film industry where one successful film sets a strict template for everyone else to follow. How many games have been set in "New York" recently, for example.

Amazing how much attention Black Mesa is getting though. Surely it's looking to be the biggest release of a fan-made game...?
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I think it'll be enough incentive for me to play through HL1 again. That was one of the best games of the time, that's for sure.
I really wish the game mechanics & AI would have improved the same as gfx & sound did (in gaming in general). But alas, game mechanics went backwards big time, AI stagnates, and that's about it.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

You know what, guys, I think I know where the problem is. I think we all know it:

It's the average friggen gamer, fed on everything artificial; from music to consoles and below-par action-movies.

We, here at arse, are mostly well above average, I think - and hope. But in the current marketplace, what sells? Special editions with an extra gun/sword/skin and music track. What the fuck is special about that??? We all know that even a special gun is (99% of the time) a temporary and rather minimal advantage.

Most people are extremely superficial. Good graphics sells the crap game - simple as that. So that's what we all get. Because that's what the masses need.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Agree Ysu. I think it can be summed up by different desires between the generations.

Actually it was something I read from a link Norbs had on his Twitter feed. I'll have to dig that link up again.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Consoles.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Well gamers from the 80s and 90s had to use their imagination to fill in the gaps, graphically speaking - much like reading a novel. Therefore the story and gameplay had to do much more of the sell too. And finally, it hadn't "all been done before". It gets harder and harder to come up with an original concept and it's also far riskier to put one into practice when A grade games cost tens of millions of dollars to develop, instead of one dude coding away in his bedroom.

Thankfully the tools for game making have also developed to the point where individuals can start to create games on their own again. Indy games are where the majority of the good writing is at these days which is nice for us as they're usually cheaper too. :tilt:
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Exar Kun wrote:Thankfully the tools for game making have also developed to the point where individuals can start to create games on their own again. Indy games are where the majority of the good writing is at these days which is nice for us as they're usually cheaper too. :tilt:
Good point. Indy titles are where the innovation is and Minecraft has proved gameplay is still sought after.
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

As expected, the appointed hour arrived and the BM site exploded... Hasn't come back yet but I've managed to get hold of the torrent from the Steam Black Mesa community forums http://steamcommunity.com/groups/BlackMesa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So... the torrent is running, sadly I'm about to head into Mr Bransons lovely internet traffic management policy rules that come into force about tea time so I can't see me completing the download till tomorrow.

Another few hours of waiting won't hurt............... will it ? :fall:
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Hehe, that was inevitable. I saw the amount of grief people were having trying to download and decided to wait until later in the weekend. :)
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

So far so good, just like the old one but less clunky.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I've just downloaded the torrent w/o any trouble. There are 1328 seeds... :)
Hm...I've installed it and all I got out of it is a "tool" source SDK base 2007...maybe I'm the tool? How do I actually play it? :scrach head:

Edit: nevermind. One has to restart steam...and maybe restart again. (it seems I had to restart twice!) then it shows up in the games library.
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Just finished the install (that all went fine) and had a quick run through the tram ride and up to the Resonance Cascade :yes:

Quite liking it so far, the graphical update looks really good, been a real nostalgia trip so far. Only grumble so far is the voice acting being a little weak in some places. One or two of the classic lines don't have quite the same impact. I've been saying to myself all week "They're waiting for you Gordon..... in the TEST chamber" and when I finally heard the line I was a bit disappointed. The cut scene with the lift full of scientists falling to their doom shot by a bit quick too.

Minor gripes at the end of the day...... time to crack on.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

The install for me was,

BlackMesa-Setup .
DL Source SDK Base 2007 from Steam 127mb.
Play game, no restarts required.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Finished my first leisurely stroll through the mod now and I'm quite impressed. As I said earlier, it's been a real nostalgia trip and I have to hand it to the developers for coming up with a pretty good revamp of the original.

Now I know my way around it's time for a run through on HARD :)
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I'm still trying to download it. Is taking for ever. I'm away for the weekend so I'll try again next week when the servers are quieter.
My Flickr Stream
richo

Post by richo »

I haven't played the original HL for so long the game just seems the same , same graphics but i know there HL2 GFX .

Still can be a head twister of a game especially if you have a shitty memory like me.
[]D [] []v[] []D
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Big Kev wrote:I'm still trying to download it. Is taking for ever. I'm away for the weekend so I'll try again next week when the servers are quieter.
Tried it via torrent??
richo

Post by richo »

Torrent was really quick for me , maybe 30-45 minutes
[]D [] []v[] []D
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

I got mine via Torrent also.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

No not tried torrent but it's ok. I've got a couple of weeks off work to doss about using up holiday time so I can at least leave the PC on for an afternoon to download it then.
My Flickr Stream
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

We need to talk about (torrents) Kevin.....

Just d/load the torrent file from the Black Mesa site, there are tens of thousands of seeders, it's a perfectly legit use of p2p and you'll have it before you've finished hoovering the house :D

Can't think of a better way to pass some of those 2 weeks you have to spare :yes:
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I'm enjoying playing through this.
Seems pretty well done and some bits are a little different to the original I think?

I've just started the main bit on the trams after defeating the big robot thing :)

Might load up HL2 again when I'm done.
My Flickr Stream