ARSE flight simmers - got the original Falcon 4?

General game chat
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

ARSE flight simmers - got the original Falcon 4?

Post by smithcorp »

Any ARSEs still got the original Falcon 4 CD and willing to lend it to me please? Need to borrow one to install the new Falcon BMS (an exicting update of the original Falcon 4).

Would be much appreciated.

smith
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Re: ARSE flight simmers - got the original Falcon 4?

Post by Rots »

Is that Falcon 4.0 Allied Force or another title?

If so, I have the CD and can send it down for you to use.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Thanks Rots, but its the original Microprose F4, not Allied Force that works. Thaaks for offering all the same.

smith
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

No worries mate. Bummer I don't have the original!
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

I may have tracked down an exe by 'other means' - i'll try it out tonight (after extensive virus scans...).
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I have the disc but it's away in storage at the mother in law's, unfortunately.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

I'm a Falcon 4.0 tragic. :scared:

I have a few copies at home, together with pretty much every mod since the Realism Patch Guys and 1.08.

Drop me a PM Smiss and we can arrange details.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Thanks Durrie. I'll try it with the 'naughty' version first. I only need to point the installer to the exe file i think. This is for Falcon BMS - have you checked it out? I tried Free Falcon a while back but it had issues with Nvidia that stopped me enjoying it. BMS on the other hand has been updated to DX9 and looks great and is apparently stable.

I'm going to try to install it this weekend.

smith
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

OK, no worries Smiss, let me know if it doesn't work and I'll shoot you the disk.

I liked the BMS patches from the start and I can't believe they've continued to work on it and released v4.

I'll try to load it up this weekend, but I'll have to see if I remember how to tweak all my rig profiles from Allied Force. Apparently BMS4 has a heavily re-worked keyfile and that will play havoc with my stuff.

When we get it all working, we'll have to try out the online and see if it really is that stable :)
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Great idea! Man I have to learn this again from the ground up! Got it installed - a breeze - and it looks so good and runs so well for me! Five minutes setting the stick up and loaded a basic fly about TEC. Pics below - I'm very impressed!

It's got bloom! And AA works! It's pretty! It's got self-shadowing in the cockpit!

Durrie

Post by Durrie »

EEK! You're flying a D? :faint:

Are those Hi-Tiles as standard? I saw a trailer video and the launch, smoke trail and splash effects look pretty good. Flare and Chaff even got re-worked.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Dunno - it's what default gave me for the "handling" TE. I was mildly surprised when I saw the passenger!

Hi-tiles are default, no need to mod the hell out of it! I plan on getting more stick time this weekend.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Neat youtube vid here: [youtube] [/youtube]
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

Yeah, saw that. Nice video.

I got it loaded up on the weekend and took it for a spin. Very nice. The flight model has had a major overhaul and is alot less "fixed" if you know what I mean.

The collection of Reddog's kneeboard materials, airfield/approach charts etc is a nice touch.

Dunc's DX Cougar profile didn't do it for me though. It was a bit flakey with held keys, so I'm going to have to resurrect Jagstang's BMS 2.0 files and tweak them for the new keyfile. There's always something. MDF's work nicely and my old sidewinder gamevoice system for in-game voice commands seems unchanged.

I still managed to shell out my engine flying through a debris cloud though. :D
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

It takes a lot of reading to get up to speed with BMS. I notice quite a few things changed as I'm working through the training TEs, including that they now have a propoer training range for A-G stuff.

I'm still struggling a bit with the ICP (once I leave the steerpoint display on the DED, I'm stuffed if i can get it back again), DED and programming the data cartridge so that targets and steerpoints show up properly.

The most frustrating TE I'm finding is the navigation and time on station one. I'm trying to follow the steering and speed cues but last last I was wandering about, heading to what seemed like SP 3, miles away (couldn't see a diamond anywhere on the HUD) when I got a bingo fuel warning. Had to turn around and because I had earlier been checking whether a new X-52 profile was working and had cycled my gear at about 400 knots (!) so I had to 'land' (fireball) without gear.

Messy but fun. I know what you mean about it feeling less like its on rails. I like the flight model and haven't had any issues with it (no deep stalls yet), but man it's floaty on landing. Got to get the speed down!
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

smithcorp wrote:The most frustrating TE I'm finding is the navigation and time on station one. I'm trying to follow the steering and speed cues but last last I was wandering about, heading to what seemed like SP 3, miles away (couldn't see a diamond anywhere on the HUD) when I got a bingo fuel warning. Had to turn around and because I had earlier been checking whether a new X-52 profile was working and had cycled my gear at about 400 knots (!) so I had to 'land' (fireball) without gear.
The tadpole in the HUD should give you the cue as to the direction of your selected SP rather than hunting for the diamond. The diamond might be below your field of view and your HSI should flash/highlight the current SP. Also, the lower right of the HUD gives you distance to the selected SP as does your manual HSI when switched to NAV.

During Campaign, I always change my Time on Station time to 1 minute in the flight plan before launch. That way, you don't suffer the penalties for wandering too far from the SP and failing the requirement.

Not sure which Steerpoint DED page you want, but you can always move your DCS switch to the left for return (RTN) to the default page which shows current SP top right, and/or then press ICP button 4 - STPT for more detail.

Not having functioning gear does make landing difficult :nod:
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

I've got the original Special Edition release that had a complete flight manual in a folder at least 3 inches thick from memory. You can have it if you want Smiss.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I think F4 was the last game I got that had a proper chunky arse manual. I miss those days...
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Yep, it looks heaps better than it used to. I have navigation (in terms of time on station, progressing steerpoints etc) and landing down now; and have worked out how to make air to air kills with guns and sidewinders using 'dogfight' mode. Next is some A-G with bombs, rockets and guns and then back to some more air to air with the more tricky radar modes; then to learn how to refuel from an air tanker and I reckon I can start a campaign...
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Wasn't in the office myself but I'm reliably informed it hit the post today smiss.

Funny thing f4 I had it since release and must've installed it half a dozen times. Never really played it though, it always felt so sterile to me and I guess I'm not a big viper fan.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Thanks Jamo - tops! I can't explain it yet, but to me it feels hugely immersive rather than sterile.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Haha - that Jamo's a top bloke!
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

FrugalsWorld is back up and not a mention here Smiss? For shame. You even posted in the Mig Alley forum....Mig Alley!

I got a notification that someone had posted in a thread I'd subscribed to (in 2006). I click the link in the email and lowe and behold....FW in all its glory!

http://www.Frugals-World.com for those that didn't know, like me. Your old username and pw should work. Mine did.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

My apologies! :) It's good to see it back, though its not as active as it used to be. Such a surprise that my original login from 4 years ago worked. if only they can restore all the great articles.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

The 4th (and probably final) patch/update for Falcon 4 BMS 4.32 is now out and available from the BMS forums.

smith