ARSE flight simmers - got the original Falcon 4?

General game chat
Durrie

Re: ARSE flight simmers - got the original Falcon 4?

Post by Durrie »

We'll have to arrange that online flight Smiss. I had a good go last week at setting up all my gear for BMS so I'm good to go. Didn't stop me getting shot down each of the five times I flew the second mission in my campaign though :(
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Sounds good Durrie - I'm working my way through the training TEs to try to get some sense back of how it all works, but man, there's a lot of reading and sorting through redundant info! What server/s do you frequent?
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

None!

Other than the one time in 2002 that a chap in Adelaide waxed me about seven times in a row in dogfight while we tested a peer link, I've been strictly offline. :vibes:
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

We can set up our own I guess!
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Quite enjoying getting to grips with this again.

Did the A-G rockets TE and eventually worked out the differences from the original F4 (not RCKTS in HUD, not range indicator on pipper anymore), the most important being that someone's put an enemy armoured battalion out there and they shoot back!

Followed waypoints to the alternate highway landing strip and got down there safely (white knuckles, no screenshots).

Next stuff to refresh - CCIP, CCRP, Mavs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Some CCIP training - some landings don't come together as well as they should (note to self - maybe don't try to land carrying 4 MK84s).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

The low level turbulence has made landing more exciting in BMS, but perhaps a more acute angle would be better next time Smify. And yes, ditching the Mk84s prior to landing is well advised.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

I think I want to get in to a flight sim. I have my wheel under my desk for the first time in years and my X52 on the desk.

Downloaded the freebie that it Microsoft Flight, enjoyed that but is is a bit bland when you are alone in the sky, had a bit of fun last night with Rise of Flight but not sure if WWI is for me and cant be bothered reinstalling FSX.

Is there an easy way to get in to Falcon 4? Looks like fun.
Is it hardcore and would take me ages to get airborne or is it an easy to play, hard to master kind of deal?

Havent really had a flight sim grip me since F19 Stealth Fighter on the C64 :D
--------------
Stu
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

It's pretty hard-core Stu - there isn't really an easy mode, which is why I, and many other simmers, approach it cautiously. For modern jet sims, I'd recommend either:

Strike Fighters 2 (you'd have to buy it, but it's a lot more accessible and lots of fun) $30 with lots of expansion to buy (and often on sale) - https://store.thirdwire.com/store_p2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or, DCS World. Free to download, includes a very nice SU-25T which you can fly offline for free. Great sim, pretty accessible but reasonably hard core (has a Game mode, as well as a Sim mode). Lots of tutorial info around for it and it's a great ground attack aircraft. DCS World here: http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/i ... ct&lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd recommend DCS World. It has the advantage of being an excellent sim for free, but it is also incredibly expandable with ground units (Combined Arms) and jets and helos to add on in varying levels of detail. I reckon you could have a great time just with the free version of DCS World, and $40 would buy you Flaming Cliffs 3 beta, which has 6 other aircraft or so to fly in the World, including online!

smith
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Have a look at Rise of Flight too.
A fantastic WW1 sim with continued development releases adding new content not just bug fixes.

There's a thread here somewhere on it.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

I'd give it a go Stu (Falcon 4 that is). Its easy to fly, the trick is learning the systems for weapon employment. Its got good tutorials, an "Instant Action" mode to just blow stuff up or dogfight, a "make your own" mission mode etc but the jewel in the crown is the dynamic campaign (beats the snot out of canned campaigns you get in the other similar flight Sims). Plus, there is a heap of community made mods, support systems, missions and information.

I own, but can't run DCS A10 which is a shame but I can run both F4 and Rise of Flight on my rig with no problems.

The current version everyone is using is the Benchmark Sims (BMS) enhanced code. You only need the original Falcon 4 exe to load it.

Give it a go.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Im installing DCS Black Shark as I type. I found it way to hard when I got it but am keen to give it a chance this time :up:
--------------
Stu
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

You'll need this...

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2626185/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Necro-ing this thread - anyone interested in Falcon BMS should know they have released 4.33, a major update, with trees, an FA-18, A Harrier, Saab Viggen and a bunch of other improvements.

Get it here: http://www.bmsforum.org/forum/content.p ... a3dfacf716

And here is a nice video intro.

hylas

Post by hylas »

Also, DCS 1.5 is in Beta and shouldn't be far away from being released.
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

smithcorp wrote:Necro-ing this thread - anyone interested in Falcon BMS should know they have released 4.33, a major update, with trees, an FA-18, A Harrier, Saab Viggen and a bunch of other improvements.
Oh wow, an early christmas present..."in about three to four weeks" LOL. I'm really going to have to sort out my HOTAS and voice command profiles now.

Thanks for posting Smiss. I'd given up on any further development after BMS pretty much said there was definitely, positively, no chance of anything other than squashing bugs for 4.32 and that was it.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Yeah, that's what I thought too. 4.33 is a stand-alone of course. 4.32 can stay on the PC if you want.

There's already a new manual here (also in the docs folder of the 4.33 install). It has important information about installation and what configs can be backed up / copied over: http://www.candyparty.com/ST/BMS_433/BMS-Manual.pdf

TEs from 4.32 can't be used in 4.33 but can be converted.

There's a useful transition guide here: http://www.bmsforum.org/forum/showthrea ... ial-videos

smith
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Noticed this is on STEAM & currently 50% off (USD$3.49) for this week:
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."