DCS World 1.2.3 Update now available

General game chat
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

DCS World 1.2.3 Update now available

Post by smithcorp »

If you have DCS World - auto-updater should work.
DarrenM

Re: DCS World 1.2.3 Update now available

Post by DarrenM »

2.5 openbeta is out. Caucus map looks really nice. Haven't tried it yet though. Download is taking forever.

Supposed to be official release in 1-2 weeks and steam release 1 week after that.

To get the openbeta version you need to go to the DCS World\bin directory with cmd prompt and run:
DCS_Updater.exe update @openbeta
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

It's a fairly significant upgrade

Jamo

Post by Jamo »

God damn that looks phenomenal, and the sounds are awesome too!
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

It's good fun Jamo. I use to play Black Shark a lot but I don't have the drive space for them atm. It's intense though. Even a short flight in the chopper was a lot to take onboard :eyepop:

Minister for Religious Genocide.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Argh! So many controls! The sooner the Rise of Flight successor comes to VR the better. Planes with just 5 or 6 inputs to fly are so much more my pace.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Looks amazing - I'm going to wait until the full release though
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Most content is 50% off atm. I grabbed the Gazelle for something different. Those bastards are hard to keep steady. Takes me 5 mins to get still enough to turn on auto-hover. I've found myself using the clickable cockpit controls in it rather than trying to remember all the button mappings. Keep forgetting what I mapped all the less frequently used controls to.

Flaming Cliffs is still the best value as you get multiple planes. F-15C, A-10A, Su-27 from that pack are what I've used most.

Persian Gulf map is a nice change as well, though my system is struggling with it in VR. The Through the Inferno PvE server I play on has switched to it though so not much choice.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Nice - I bought the Gazelle but haven't flown it much yet, just getting used to it. The stable release for DCS has just been updated to the current beta standard, so hopefully that means the F18 and the Gulf map!
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Nice. Not as powerful as the black shark, but I'm having fun with it. It also supports multi-crew which is why my friend wanted me to get it.

2.5 does have F18 and gulf map. It was released officially in April but there's also an openbeta version which I'm having to use because that's what most people running servers seem to use.

We'll have to join forces on the Inferno server some time. It's got dynamic chopper missions as well as stuff for the planes. You would need the Persian Gulf map as well though. You can also use the su-25T for ground missions if you haven't bought any planes.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

https://steamcommunity.com/games/223750 ... 0964517571
Starting Friday, 28 September 2018 and lasting until 1 October 2018, play DCS: F/A-18C Hornet, DCS: Persian Gulf Map, and the Su-33 for DCS World for free! The Hornet and Su-33 include all the missions and campaigns as the purchased versions, and they can be played in both single player and multiplayer modes. Enjoy!
The Persian Gulf map can be a bit of a performance hog for VR users, but it'll be nice to try out the Hornet. Too expensive for me to want to buy it normally.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Friend of mine got sick of the Inferno server and made his own. It's a randomized campaign with optional side missions rather than just fixed missions like Inferno. Still working out kinks but it's working pretty well. Needs a few players working together to get anywhere. dasUberSoldat's Invade and Annex if anyone wants a look.

F-14 looks nice as well. Though I've heard it doesn't have a pilot model for the cockpit view which isn't the greatest for VR users.

hylas

Post by hylas »

I seen that server online the other night, might have a swing by and check it out.

The F14 is pretty sweet, no pilot model doesn't bother me, I would be turning that off anyway. The more annoying thing is not having the ability to turn off the stick though. It blocks the bottom display and it's annoying to have to look around it all the time. Jester (The AI RIO) is ok but you really do need a real person to play RIO if your to get serious with this plane.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

RIO would be cool in VR.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I gave the TP-51 and SU-25 a go. I use to play LOMAC which was a forerunner to these titles. The SU-25 felt familiar right away. Not much seems to have changed control wise since LOMAC but VR is great. I always wished for some realistic form of head tracking and now I have it. I'm still yet to try any weapons but flying was easy. I had trouble with the TP-51 though. I had to use the mouse as the rift controllers were dropping out of range for flap controls and such. The biggest trouble I had was starting the plane. I did not know I could do two actions at once on the mouse so I spent a good 1/2 hour just trying to start the plane and getting the mixture control to work. :doh:

I just got Flaming Cliffs 3 today so will try it later. I've avoided Flaming Cliffs for sometime as I felt the company was double dipping on price for DLC. You needed Lock On Modern Air Combat (LOMAC) in order to play Flaming Cliffs but both titles were at full game price for the time, there was no discount if you had LOMAC already, yet you could not play Flaming Cliffs unless you had LOMAC. So I am glad this changed and now we have VR I had no issues buying it. The SU-25 looked amazing so I will enjoy Flaming Cliffs. In time will get a Mirage 2000C as my first stand alone aircraft but I will wait a couple of months.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Sweet! I was able to use my old A-10C key in DCS world. I have Black Shark but that's in steam :(
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Good news for VR users:
Hey everyone,

Earlier we mentioned that we have been working on DCS VR optimization. I have good news today! After much investigation and work, we traced the issue back to the terrain engine. We have since adjusted the terrain engine, and this has resulted in a 50% increase in VR performance! We will continue to test and optimize this further, but we hope to have this great improvement to you soon.

Thanks
https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p= ... count=2333
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I did freak myself out in VR last night. Flying a MiG-29, I was seeing how high I could climb and the dive to find out the structural strength of the plane. So I went from 14000 metres to ground level in a dive and pulled up full after burner to climb. Got to 10000 metres only to find I lost the tails in the dive and lost control. So I bailed out at 10000 metres and it really freaked me out. VR in this game is awesome though.

I've changed my mind on a Mirage 2000C and I think I will get a Spitfire first and work my way up, but with so much content from Flaming Cliffs and A-10C, it's not a priority.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I got a Mirage 2000, Saab 37 Viggen and P-51 during the Easter sale. I really like the Viggen. It feels more user friendly, more well thought out than the Mirage. It's got some good tech for it's age and it felt like a nice place to be. I need to spend more time in the Mirage to learn how to dial it in. I found both aircraft are going to be one big learning curve and I will need to draw up some cheat sheets just to remember critical systems before I start playing online.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

So... does anyone with the F-14 feel like this or even pretend? :D

As for me, I've had the MiG-19 for a few weeks and I enjoy it more than the Mirage or Viggen, but I am still learning on those. The MiG-19 is jump in and go compared to them. However I need to communicate more with the tower more for more successful intercepts. Simple seems to be my thing :dunce:
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

I really like the look of the MiG-19
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

It's a good plane. Some of the switches are backwards and you can endlessly spin the oxygen tap so some things need a fix. It flies very well, the roll rate is amazing but it will go nose down in turns depending on how hard you are turning. You can get a good turn of speed up but you don't have much fuel, only 2 heat seekers and 75 rounds per gun for the 30 mm cannons. I find it a really nice place to be and it is hands on to fly yet it's easy and enjoyable to fly.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

After last week and my first PVP disaster, I gave the F-15C a few runs in PVE quick missions learning TWS and such.... Still sucked. Bots nailed me even when I used counter measures and avoidance. But got a few. Anyway doing a few training missions on my Viggen and I think that's where I'm meant to be. The Viggen in an anti shipping role is very cool. Anything air to air, might change my name to Sir Dr Easymeat. lol
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I haven't done much PVP. Always feel like too much of a disadvantage not being able to see as well in VR. The Inferno server can be good for learning a plane. It's PvE so there's no pressure and has a variety of ground and air combat. If the server is busy it can become a race to see who gets to the ai first though. Still need to try out the hoggit server with Hylas and co as well.