Star Citizen

General game chat
Dr. Pain

Re: Star Citizen

Post by Dr. Pain »

I dove straight in and got it last night. Had a look this afternoon and got no bloody idea on how to get in a game. I watched a 30 min clip on youtube so I'll try later on.

I really liked what I saw and I tend not to wait if I want to try something bad enough. It's pretty cool that my Saitek X-52 gear will work in it. :)

Minister for Religious Genocide.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Elite, or Star Citizen?
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Star Citizen. I'm yet to try out the X-52. I haven't used it since going to win 10
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

My biggest issue is Trackir wouldn't work in star Citizen when I tried it much earlier - wonder if its working now?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Last edited by DarrenM on Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

So finally done my first mission after decompressing myself with no suit on, flying into a pirate ship, getting kill by pirates, shoot by some dude in a destroyed station, a player blowing up my ship with me in it ect... and so forth...

I spent about an hour being frustrated by not knowing all the commands. But I've watched about an hour of youtube crap and I'm getting there. Next stage is to try and kill some pirates which should be fun seeing I only have guns, no missiles.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Fired up my HOTAS for the first time in a long time. Very happy that the game picked it up with no messing about assigning controls. Only thing I need to get use to is the stick twist controlling my roll. I'm so use to it being rudder control that it will take time to get the hang of it. But I might reassign it so left/right is roll. I'll have better control that way. I am a bit annoyed though that in Area Commander that there's always obstacles on the maps. Whether it be fighting drone waves or racing, there's always something to smash into and it made it tough while learning to fly.

I also don't have the desk space to have everything set up to move between HOTAS and keyboard/mouse for EVA's. So need a way to get around that.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I switched the roll and yaw controls as well. It was too confusing with Star Citizen being different to everything else. I've now got almost identical controls in Elite and SC which makes it easy to switch.

Supposedly in combat you're better off using yaw to turn rather than pitch though, due to the pilot being able to handle higher lateral G's or something.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

It feels strange though and I found I had less control with the stick. It works fine on the mouse though.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I think the controls are primarily optimised for kb/m at the moment though they're supposed to be balanced eventually. Turrets were a lot easier use with mouse last I tried.

The ships feel like they don't have much mass. They change direction too easily and accelerate crazy fast which can make them a little twitchy until you get used to it. I still find it hard to land without slamming it into the ground, even with the slower moving landing mode. You might be able to improve it with axis sensitivity settings.

The 2.6 update is supposed to improve the flight model a fair bit. Sounds like they'll be more like Elite where everything is slower to accelerate and change direction. Currently the biggest ships in Star Citizen fly like the smallest ones in Elite.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I only have an Aurora ES so really haven't noticed mass yet. It does seem to turn on a pin head though.

I will get Elite seeing that Star Citizen will be some time in development. I do plan to buy a Hornet as I want more guns. The Aurora was a good start point.
hylas

Post by hylas »

You only need the single package to get the game. You'll be able to get other ships once the game is launched in a decade by just playing through the game itself. Well... Unless they can that idea and make people pay for everything extra... because you know, this current business model has provided $100+ mil so far
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

It's made $4 mill just this week and $7 mill for December so far. I do have the Aurora Starter pack but I don't mind buying another ship. I bought into PCars and that turned out ok. But I'll hang out for a free trial weekend and to try another ship first.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

New alpha just came out.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Seems like a PTU release atm but looks like it might be soon.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I've avoided PTU so far because I didn't think my download speed would keep up the patches. But I decided to give it a try and set it off to do the 30GB download this morning. 2 hours ago they released a 9.8GB patch so I guess I won't be playing it tonight. lol

Looking through recent patch releases:

Tue 2.6K - 23GB
Wed 2.6L - 12GB
Thu 2.6M - 9.8GB
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Yeah a new patch just came out. The earlier release was rather buggy, too, I had a bit of a play with it but kept kicking me off then crash...

If your connection isn't friggen fast (100mbps!), you probably want to wait till a more stable release comes out. These are alpha so maybe a beta or something?

I also find that it either does not use the SLI well, or it's simply an extremely taxing game, I'm not getting great performance on the 2x970 in 4k res. This is on low quality setting.
It loads up the memory well, too, I'm getting near to 20GBs used (altho I did not stop the SQL server and it used to take up a few GB itself)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Live hasn't been too bad. I just thought the daily PTU patches might have been smaller since they've been talking about an improved patching system. The game is still in 2GB pak files though so it looks like they haven't implemented that yet.

My download stopped at 17GB to tell me there's an update available. So after restarting I've only got 21GB to go :)
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

2.6 has been released to Live.

If you've downloaded the PTU version you can just go into the star citizen folder, delete Public and rename Test to Public. Saves having to download it all again.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Only 16GB to go :sadbanana:
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Finally got it by 11 pm tonight and gave Star Marine a go. I like it and there's room for improvement for it. I was finding hacking difficult to initiate. I play Overwatch a lot so wasn't hard to get the hang of although I do have to be more careful of being sniped so need to make better use of cover. Just hope my ping doesn't ruin any future games. It was about 250 ms which is normal but can really hamper any fps. One thing I like about Overwatch is it generates a game on a local server so I hope Star Citizen can do something similar if there's enough interest from Australia.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I got another ship, a 300I touring and it's a better ship but only two laser cannons is a bit weak and they fire slow too. Got room to hang two guns and two missile racks. So I'll work towards that and see how it is. I find the flying somewhat frustrating. I find it easy to loose control especially when racing and somewhat in space. It's almost like the control surfaces are not big enough or something. It's rather odd.

I'm enjoying Star Marine more but that's only early days so my game play will have to be limited to save massive frustration.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

They're going to switch to quarterly releases so that we get things more regularly. Rather than having a set of features and releasing when they're all ready, they'll release quarterly and any feature that's not ready will be bumped to the next release.

Post 3.0 Arc Corp looks pretty impressive

The Pioneer is a cool idea as well. For settling planets, mining etc, you'll acquire a claim then you can use one of these ships to 3d print your buildings.

It's quite large compared to the Caterpillar and Mustang :o

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I stopped keeping up with this a long time ago, are they planning to reintroduce VR support? That was one reason I pledged way back when, there was DK2 support I think or was it DK1 :scratch:
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

It's supposed to get support VR eventually, but it's nowhere near capable of it at the moment. Online frame rates are still terrible and I don't think that's supposed to get fully fixed until 3.1.