Re: Star Citizen

Post by r8response »

Only $1,271.49 AUD

It'll sell out.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

But it has Lifetime Insurance... ramming speed.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Gone from a bit under $20k per day in funding up to $340k for today so far.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Impressive list of actors.

Ben Mendelsohn
Gary Oldman
Mark Hamil
Gillian Anderson
Mark Strong
John Rhys-Davies
Jack Huston
Andy Serkis
Harry Treadaway
Liam Cunningham
Rhona Mitra
Ian Duncan
Sophie Wu
Gemma Whelan
Craig Fairbrass

smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Looking back, I find I bought a package in this in June 2013. They are now saying the game will be out in what, 2017? Last time I tried to have a play in it I couldn't configure my X52 to work in it and Trackir was farked and useless. I'm pretty over this thing now and looking for the best return to sell my package.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

TBH I'd love to sell my package, too. It's not looking good.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I'd be disappointed if they didn't expand the scope of the game given the amount of money they've been able to generate. They were obviously too ambitious with their early release dates though.

Elite Dangerous seems like it will also be a long process to get a full game, but the difference being they've released the core of a game and are slowly filling it in. I'm not sure that's a better approach. People got bored of it and it'll be hard to get them to come back.

wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Indeed it was very ambitious with the short turn around.

Releasing/open testing is a nice way to go when bits and pieces are done though.

Elite was working on engines, core mechanics before flying craft.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I've been trying out the current alpha which has a playable multiplayer area with some missions you can do and a couple locations to visit/explore. It's been fun, but there's only a little bit of content so there's only a few hours worth of play time in it.

I have a friend who bought a Constellation and we've been flying that around most of the time. Hit me up on steam (HairyPantaloons) or add me in game (Marshious) if you want to join us and have a fly of it or man a turret. I wouldn't mind trying some of those missions in a wing as well instead of single ship. It can be a pain to get everyone in the same instance though, and that's with 3 of us.

Also, on Feb 14 they're separating the single player (Squadron 42) and multiplayer/mmo components into 2 separate packages. If you buy now you get both in the one package. After Feb 14 you would have to buy them separately.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I'll download it...not sure when will it complete, since it comes with a bloody downloader by the looks. :/
When I'll have time I'll try to find you guys :) I'll be ok for a gunner. Not likely to be able to pilot one of these beasts, hehe.

Edit: not too shabby, chungs along at around 2MB/s. But still, 27GB will take a couple hours - or four.

Edit2: wow. this thing has spawned about 500(!!) TCP connections. It has completely choked my 'net, not by speed but by the sheer number of connections. Very occasionally it got up to 6-7MB/s. Continuing tomorrow :)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

well, my callsign is Brandywine (I thought this will be the ship's name for some reason)
Anyway, look me up when in.

Edit:
finally managed to get in, figure things out somewhat, and have a play. It's shaping up nicely, I reckon. Still buggy, still alpha, but it resembles a game now. :)
Pretty playable with kb+mouse.
But you need a fibre connection to download the patches...still in the 20 GB's.

And what's mind boggling; the funding is still going strong! They rake in around $60k-$100k (US) a DAY still.

And now you can play some open-world things, too.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

20gb.. pfft do it over night.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

It'll grow, mind you.
The patch yesterday was like this: it did not tell me the size of the patch, just that it takes ~40mins at ~12MB/s.
That's 28GBs, if my calculations are correct. (40*60*12). And I've downloaded the whole thing a couple of days back.

But the game looks gorgeous :)
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Yesterdays patch was only 3.3GB or so. When it starts it says the full amount because it's checking which files have changed so it says the full amount initially. I only get 300-400KB/s so it took me 1.5 days to install the full version then 5+ hours for the patch. It's p2p so the speeds are all over the place.

Got power back now, though the guy with the big ship wants to go back to Elite because we've done just about everything we can in this version.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Greetings Citizens,
On the fence about Star Citizen? Why not give it a try and see what we’re building! For the next week, we’re enable Free Fly access to all accounts… which means that anyone can jump in to Star Citizen Alpha 2.1.2 today! The Free Fly event gives everyone access to three unique parts of the Star Citizen experience:
*Star Citizen Alpha 2.1.2 – Also known as Crusader or the “mini-PU,” this is the nucleus of the world we’re building! Featuring multiple space stations and environments, scripted missions, places to explore and more, Alpha 2.1.2 is your first look at a much larger universe! *Arena Commander – Arena Commander is a ‘game within a game’ that we’ve used to develop our flight mechanics and ship combat balance. Take on human opponents or an AI swarm in single seat fighter. *Social Module – Interact with other players while you explore our first landing zone, ArcCorp! The Social Module is intended as a starting point for our world building,
You can register for an account here to get started. If you already have an account from a previous Free Fly, you’re all set! Just log in via the Star Citizen launcher. This is the first Free Fly that includes Crusader, so there’s more to explore than ever before. Free Fly accounts will have access to the Hornet F7C military fighter, the Aurora LN starter and the Mustang Delta interceptor.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... er-Updates

A week of free flight to anyone.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Np, Darren. I'm sure we'll play later at some point - I'll explore a bit alone for now :)
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Things look to be coming along.

wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-30s ... -sky-away/
Star Citizen 3.0's planetary landing blows No Man's Sky away
Star Citizen is starting to meet the promise of co-op shenanigans in a connected universe.

To watch the full stream... if you have time.

Starts with a number of videos some loops.
?t=1h28m00s Starts.
?t=1h32m10s audio is working.
?t=2h02m00s Video above
?t=2h53m25s Is the end of video above

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I was blown away by the gameplay part of the presentation (that Shonky posted above). Looks amazing.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Yeah I was impressed with that video too Darren, SC might eventually live up to the hype which I'm completely ignoring for the most part now.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Has anyone played this in it's current form? If so what do you think?

I've just finished up in EvE online as I don't like the idea of having alpha state clones roaming around. For those who don't know it's free to play characters with up to 5 million skill points. I can see that being suicide gank mayhem in high sec. So I am looking for another space game where I can make stuff and explore. I am looking at No Man's Sky as well.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

In its current form it's still just an alpha test/tech demo environment and there isn't much to do in it. There's a few simple missions, you can pvp, arena deathmatch (if you have one of the larger fighters) or racing. Probably a couple hours max to try it all out.

There should be a new version (2.6) out soon with more stuff but I don't know how much gameplay it'll be adding. The 3.0 they demonstrated in August still appears to be a couple months away and from their roadmap I'd be amazed if the full MMO game is out before 2018.

They often do free trial periods where you can play for a few days without having to pay. I'd wait for one of those.

I think Elite is the one to play at the moment if you want a complete game. It can turn into a grind late game if you play it that way, but the early stages are enjoyable. I still play it once a week or 2 with a friend despite having a couple hundred hours in it and not much else to achieve. Ideally with the Horizons season pass though, so it's not cheap.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I was checking out the prices and I can see it being not so bad if you have friends to crew a ship. Or is it a case that everyone must buy the same ship? Say a 5 crew bird. But I think I will wait till a free period. I got to clean up some drive space first.

I was looking at Elite too but I'm trying to pick which on to go for. But Elite seems cheap enough to try. Need something new for the summer.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Only one of you needs to own the ship. At the moment all the other crew can do is man turrets but it can be fun. They plan mining ships and stuff which will provide extra tasks for crew but nfi when those will be added.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Get ready for a huge download, too, DrPain...