Star Citizen

General game chat
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Re: Star Citizen

Post by wobblysauce »

It was nice, still a fair amount of tweaks left to do.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I read all these comments about the presentation being a total disaster and hecklers ruining the whole thing but people are so melodramatic it's ridiculous. When I actually watched it I thought it all went pretty well and the 'heckling' was really nothing worth worrying about.

Game certainly looks nice especially at this early stage, I'd already put down $40 so look forward to giving it a try, not sure how my hd7870 will fare though.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Nice lil video of some updates.

[youtube] [/youtube]
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

It's nice, but that's not star citizen...you could start another thread for Elite, mate :)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

:lol: Well both are quite similar, just a title change.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

So close yet so far.

Arena Commander was to be released today but it has been delayed due to some bugs they were unable to resolve in time. They're going to have daily updates until it's out.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... r-V8-Delay" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... ild-Update" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The go/no-go meeting has happened and the word is GO! Arena Commander V0.8 is currently being uploaded to our server partners. If all goes according to plan, the module should be available to play later tonight! There’s no need to keep reloading your Star Citizen Launcher: we will post here as soon as the download is available.
10GB download apparently :eek:

[youtube] [/youtube]

A manual! Haven't seen one of these for ages :)
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/medi ... e-V0-8.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Now we see if the hype is justified!
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Downloading now, will see what it's like tomorrow once it's finished lol :)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

DarrenM wrote:A manual! Haven't seen one of these for ages :)
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/medi ... e-V0-8.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Really? Most steam games have one - but it's usually hidden somewhat, that's true. :)
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Appears to be a shambles unfortunately. They forgot to include the map files in the update, so players are sitting looking at an endless loading screen. Being fixed apparently, but no idea on timing. I am downloading at about 650KB/s, so 3 hours or so...
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

smithcorp wrote:Appears to be a shambles unfortunately. They forgot to include the map files in the update, so players are sitting looking at an endless loading screen. Being fixed apparently, but no idea on timing. I am downloading at about 650KB/s, so 3 hours or so...
heh. Imagine my 30KB/s
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

So... can someone explain the gameplay to me on this? I've tried to get the gist of it, but talk of modules and Star Citizen being called Arena Commander? Wtf? What does it play like? Freelancer, eve online or?
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Eventually there will be a single player campaign called Squadron 42 which I guess will be a wing commander type game. The story from that will flow into the Star Citizen MMO which will be a freelancer type open world game where you can choose your own career.

The modules are their way of doing alpha testing in stages. So first there was the hangar module which was just to test the engine and let people see the ships. Now is the dog fighting module, renamed Arena Commander as an homage to Wing Commander, which is to test the dog fighting/flight mechanics/ship balance while being a game in itself. I don't know what comes next :)
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

The update has fixed things, this guys is live streaming atm, looks pretty cool even on first glance

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

[quote="DarrenM"
A manual! Haven't seen one of these for ages :)
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/medi ... e-V0-8.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote]

thanks for finding. Something to read while installing. just like it used to be :up:

looking forward to this. Should be here Friday night :)
--------------
Stu
petey

Post by petey »

While 10gb doesn't seem like alot, makes me wonder what they are looking at for the MMO size, considering the amount of content promised and what is seen here.

May put down some money now there is actually something to fly though.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

petey wrote:While 10gb doesn't seem like alot, makes me wonder what they are looking at for the MMO size, considering the amount of content promised and what is seen here.

May put down some money now there is actually something to fly though.
100GB for sure!
I just hope by that time I'll have NBN here :D
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Pretty stuff takes room.. even though it is space and empty.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

petey

Post by petey »

At this stage I would say NBN or no, it needs better servers.

Currently downloading at a cracking 100kb/s.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Well, it does not work for me. I get a message even after repeated restarts that "Access Invalid" - and there's a repair button that seems to just send the whole thing into a cozy sleep.
And of course the "support" link links to a big nowhere.
There's no solution to this on their forums, only a few ppl seems to have this issue. Some have reinstalled an it works. Well, I'm not going to re-download ten friggen gigs for this...

Alpha...
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

petey, have you enabled P2P mode in the launcher? Try that and make sure its upload speed is less than your connections upload speed.

Steve, maybe try emptying the StarCitizen\CitizenClient\USER folder? I read somewhere that it can generate dodgy hash keys or something.
Last edited by DarrenM on Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
petey

Post by petey »

P2P is giving me a Peer List Empty message.

This is a download from scratch, possibly no peers on the old updates or some such?

EDIT:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.c ... -peer-list" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not enabled it seems.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Worked for me tonight. looks pretty damn good and runs well on my system. Still got some way to go - the arenas are small so far, no Trackir, basic controller function on my X52 but can't remap yet, but making some progress. Here's some images from free flight:

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I couldn't get it to work, deleted the user folder, nothing. bummer.