Post by Bauer »

that was impressive
--------------
Stu
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Re: BeamNG

Post by wobblysauce »

Nice, finally coming out with the textures.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

did you buy the Alpha Darren?

if so, any good?
--------------
Stu
pab

Post by pab »

Looks like a perfect game engine for a new game called Kimi Raikkonen Rally!
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Haven't tried it yet. I only grabbed the tech demo.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Played some of the tech demo, certainly has potential to become something good, not sure if I'm willing to buy the alpha based on the tech demo though.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

This needs to become Street legal Redline clone!
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

NeilPearson wrote:This needs to become Street legal Redline clone!
That was the exact same thing that I said! I would be all over it like Wobbly on Reddit....
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Someone remake Street Rod!
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

Awesome! Will download it tonight.

Is it resource hungry I wonder?
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Finally some good crash physics! This looks very promising!

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Looks awesome.. Downloading now
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

I threw 17 bucks at them.

its not bad, it needs a goal. they say they are working on it. the handling physics need a bit more to.
petey

Post by petey »

I got the alpha also. Damage physics are definitely impressive, the overall handling as neil says needs work. Spend most of my time attempting not to crash, however that is also to do with the xbox controls. They have the right stick camera inverted horizontally but not vertically. Complete opposite to what I am use to and often has me looking all over the place when I try and make a turn.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I thought the physics in this felt familiar, it looks like some of the Rigs of Rods devs want to make some money from their work in BeamNG.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Feels kind of line Insane (if anyone remembers that). Would be great for that intersection crash mode in Burnout. :D
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

They'll have to call this game crashMeWell or something. With such realistic crashes, most people (especially the console crowd) will all deem it unplayable; the smallest error will ruin your ride.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

AstrO wrote:Feels kind of line Insane (if anyone remembers that). Would be great for that intersection crash mode in Burnout. :D
Now there's a blast from the past, I agree it feels a lot like 1nsane too in the damage model.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Had a good go of the Alpha, i think it has alot of promise. Feels good enough to drive and looks nice, could be a good game to just smash around online with your friends doing some offroading or laps etc
Hello :aussie:
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I've been watching Monster Jam lately with my little man and this engine would be fantastic for monster trucks and stadium racing in general.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

It's not my kind of thing but many here may want to vote it in for Steam Green Light. ;)
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =227184794" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BeamNG is developing the game ”drive”. The game is powered by an inhouse build soft-body physics engine that simulates every single component of a vehicle in real time.
Drive is now up for voting on Steam Greenlight. If you like the product, and you want to see the game appear on the Steam Distribution platform, then make sure you vote for them on the following link.

[youtube] [/youtube]

Get alpha access at http://beamng.com/alpha" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and get all future updates for free!
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Can not wait for multi-player that is planed for down the track.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

BeamNG: Drive has been updated to reach version 0.5.6.1 of the unique soft body physics driving simulation.
Highly moddable and featuring a number of visually impressive locations and vehicles BeamNG has been growing in size and functionality of late. With several sizable patches and improvements released for the game in recent weeks Drive is fast becoming a solid and enjoyable title that continues to grow in popularity within the sim community.
Following a few initial bugs encounted post 0.5.6 update the developers have released a quick hotfix patch to address some of the new issues.
A full changelog including hotfix release can be found below.

Bugfixes 0.5.6.1
Fixed extremely long vehicle’s loading times (That was complicated to fix. The vehicle loading stalled the GPU uploads and forced them into synchronization with the CPU)
Utah: Fixed terrain creating spikes on the eastern end in the tunnel entrance, fixed hole in the map
Fixed crash on certain messages from inside libbeamng
Improved support tool workflow a bit: added extra field to the support request

Changelog 0.5.6
Added new vehicle ETK K Series
Added SMAA Antialiasing
New Quickstart menu: control the most important things directly with the gamepad
It is highly dynamic to what is going on. More things in there soon.

Physics
Fixed timing issues that could make the simulation run in slight slow motion
Fixed engine flooding being partially tied to graphics framerate
Fire simulation now uses the dynamic exhahust manifold temperature, fires should happen less often with a cold engine
Ability to run the physics with maximum speed. This is the same way bananabench operates – only with graphics. Use with “be.physicsMaxSpeed = true” in the GE Lua console.

Renderer
CPU render optimization for Forest items
Vehicle GPU optimizations using compute shaders on DX11
Fixed memory leak with dynamic decals/tiremarks
Optimized uploading UI to GPU
Fixed FPS limiter
Fixed skybox rendering
Fixed frame limiter always enabled
Added moddable license plates (Tutorial here)
Fixed vehicle skin slots on child parts
Optimized generation of decals/tiremarks on TSStatic objects
Fixed generation and render of imposters
Improved launcher handle for non-updated OS

Vehicles
Added new vehicle: ETK K-series (More variants to come later)
Added 3 new hubcaps
Make Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) removable on all cars that have it
Made door panels optional for Moonhawk and Barstow
Fixed various broken link errors in jbeams
Official Content is indicated with a small icon now
Fixed Large Crusher not observing user defined bindings
Added analog input support for Large Crusher (you can now crush vehicles as slowly as you want)
Implemented improved ESC 2.0 (WIP), much better control over how cars react to over-/understeer
Added damage message when a containing beam of a fuel tank breaks
Changed ‘Police’on ETK800 Lightbar to ‘Polizei’
200BX: Fixed drift tires becoming unstable/popping too easily
Barstow: Jbeam improvements to achieve better stiffness on front end and body in general, steering flexbody improvement
Bolide: Suspension jbeam redesigned for lower rear roll center, better steering geometry
Covet: Fixed Okudai sideskirt self collision glitch
D-Series/H-Series/Roamer: Fix off road leaf spring suspension over extending after landing jumps
Grand Marshal: Fix instability with 245/50R17 sport tires
H-Series: Fixed suspension limits to prevent clipping through flatbed/cargobox
Miramar: Front subframe less likely to bend, increased Miramar roll cage strength in front impact, fix broken damping tuning variable, fix missing suspension sounds
Moonhawk: Steering flexbody improvement
Pessima (89): Fixed rear bumper becoming unstable after minor bumps
Pigeon: Redesigned front suspension jbeam, added latest leaf spring design to rear suspension
Sunburst: Stronger wheel connections
T65/T75: remove license plate on frame with cargobox and flatbed configs
Tweaked some dash cams to make sure all cars have consistent camera sway when driving
Normalized force feedback strengths between cars, improved high speed steering damping to reduce shake while still allowing fast steering
Change all cars steering back to dual hydros (less chance of car pulling left or right)

General Bugfixes
Fixed syntax problem breaking the reload function, forcing users to restart the game
Fixed OutGauge support. Instructions here.
Fixed shifting mode notification spam during recovery and other situations
Fixed some settings not being correctly loaded during startup in a few rare corner cases
Fixed crash to desktop when trying to pack prefabs in editor
Fixed issue with OpenAL that cause to use a very low number of concurrent sounds
Fixed per-level gravity not being used correctly on startup
Fixed Crash to desktop on strange sound runtime conditions

Terrains / Scenarios

Created Utah tunnel
Completed reduction mill building
Added details to Utah
Fixed shallow water in Gridmap preventing engine flooding in certain cases

Input
Added option to allow gamepads and other controllers to work even when window is not focused, as well as force feedback (disabled by default)
Added Force Feedback response curves for Logitech G25 and DFGT, and Thrustmaster T300RS and T500RS (reset your bindings if you don’t see the curve right away)
Fixed parser of force feedback response curves when finding empty values
Modified camera related bindings, they are now categorized together in Controls menu
Fixed inability to customize vehicle-specific bindings
Fixed inability to disable force feedback in multiseat mode in the controllers of secondary players
Force feedback and vibration effects are now disabled during pause
Deprecated “Switch FOV values” and “Toggle DoF Zoom” bindings
Normalized force feedback strengths between cars, improved high speed steering damping to reduce shake while still allowing fast steering

User Interface
Tweaked Navigation App (now in 3D and with multiple vehicle support)
Added vehicle damage app
Added visual vehicle damage app
New UI app placing
Added turbocharger gauge
More intuitive apps’ placement
Minor bugfixes
Updated Main & Loading menu images
Fixed TripComputer
Fixed Node/Beams Debug App
Updated/Fixed Unitsystem for Apps
Filter Vehicles in Vehicles Selector for Official and Mod
Vehicleselector now also shows pc files
Launcher now has a simplistic user interface. Also improved support workflow: It opens the support form after submitting files. You can skip the new UI by using “-noninteractive” as first argument to the game.

AI
Added simple AI chase mode
Fixed AI bugs triggering when no player vehicle exists
AI speedup through the use of quadtrees
Added a function to quadtrees that reduces the memory that they need
Added Manual Destination selector in Artificial Intelligence Control app

Terrain Editor

Added new terrain tools (‘smoothing’ and ‘align with mesh’ tools)
Added holes feature: you can cut holes into the terrain now and drive below terrain as well.
widened the editor sidebar from 210 to 260 pixels
improved the starting height of the sidebars to fill the whole screen all the time
Do not allow the headlights to be selected when selecting vehicles
Removed a lot of obsolete sound classes

Misc
Convex objects now have collision:
Added relative camera mode:
Improved Node Grabbing: camera will now automatically switch to fixed mode, to prevent grabbing forces buildup
Improved vehicle recovery system (Insert key): vehicles will no longer be restored upside down

Jbeam / Lua
Torque Curve app broke – removed it for now
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Beam NG: Drive has received a substantial update that brings the title to version 0.6 as well as introducing a new vehicle to the sim.
As can be seen from the below update log, version 0.6 features a whole raft of updates and enhancements with some interesting new functionality introduced to the simulation. Version 0.6 brings a new vehicle, the ETK I Series and several feature updates including physics changes, a new garage mode and brake temperatures across all cars (take note Kunos...).

Update version 0.6 change log:
Physics

Improved overall stability of the physics core
Added couplers, which can attach two nodes together into one
Brakes now use both of wheel axle nodes for brake reaction torque if no brake “nodeArm” has been defined. This improves the behavior of brake reaction torque (on the brake pads)
Physics core stops executing LUA when an error happens. Previously the physics core continued to execute LUA, spamming the log with error messages
Triangles with zero drag and lift do not affect aerodynamics anymore
Fixed a dynamic collision bug that appears when few nodes exist in the terrain
Environment’s sea level temperature can be changed now in the physics core, previously it was hardcoded to the average Earth temperature (15 degrees Celsius)
Fixed movement of spawning vehicles when simulation is freezed

Vehicles
Added new vehicle ETK I Series
Added new dry van trailer, towable with the T-Series
Added new bollard prop
H-Series: Added new ambulance variant, weakened driveshaft, added new 5.5L V8, fix rear leaf spring shackle colliding with body
D-Series: Added optional trim and running boards, weakened driveshaft, added new 5.5L V8, made tailgate openable
Roamer: Added optional running boards, weakened driveshaft, added police spotlights, added new 5.5L V8
Grand Marshal: Added taxi variant, added police spotlights and antenna, added new 5.5L V8, added adjustable race suspension
’88 Pessima: Added vented hood, added widebody kit, added some aftermarket spoilers, added skin for “Custom”, more damping on rally suspension
Moonhawk: Made lettering removable, weakened driveshaft, added “Race” variant with adjustable suspension
Sunburst: Fixed skidplate making stock bumper deform, added some aftermarket spoilers, added front splitter, added widebody kit and “Hill Climb” variant, increased suspension damping for race and rally, lowered rear suspension roll center, strengthened some suspension parts
SBR4: Fixed ABS not working, fixed speedometer limit, added widebody kit
Added brake thermals properties to all cars
Added brake pad choices to all cars’ brakes
Replaced fake superchargers with real ones, using a new supercharger simulation
Bolide: Increased suspension damping, more realistic engine inertia to help control wheelspin
Barstow: Added roll cage, added skinnable second channel UVs, modified stage 1 supercharger to fit under scooped hood
200BX: Improved rear suspension geometry to greatly reduce compliance steer with wide tires; “Demon” config has more stable handling now
Covet: More damping for race/rally suspension
ETK K-Series: Fixed some engine meshes being in the wrong place, re-added missing radiator tubes, added imperial gauges
ETK 800 Series: Re-added missing radiator tubes, now defaults to imperial gauges to be more consistent with the other cars
T-Series: Fixed front license plate being inside the heavy duty bumper, lowered fifth wheel, added coltris to cargo box for less object clipping, reduced brittleness of cargobox panels, fixed instability of cargo box floor when rear doors opened, fix wheel hub/brake drum flexbody problem
Pigeon: Fixed stabilizer wheels missing/broken
Improved ABS settings for better braking distance with anti-lock brakes
Reduced radiator strength for most cars (they had become nearly invulnerable)
Improved trunk flexbody spiking on cars with trunks
Tightened gearing on rally configurations
Separated small trailer and giant flail to their own separate vehicles, now attachable with couplers
Fix wrong offsets on ETK F13 and Dreid RallyPro wheels
Made classic-style lightbar properly breakable
Removed clutchtorque values from all cars’ engines because the drivetrain simulation now auto-calculates a suitable value
Removed nodeCoupling nodes/beams from all cars suspensions no longer needed with more advanced 3 point brake torque reactions
Tweaked all carbon fibre materials to darker and smaller pattern
Small Trailer: Suspension reworked, added support to use common wheels
Barstow: Fixed seat support beams
200BX: More damping on base and sport versions, less anti-dive geometry in the front suspension.
Semi: Tires have more direct handling but a bit less maximum grip
Cannon: Improved the firing method, it now works fine in slow motion. Made the overall veahicle heavier and more stable. Fire button remapped to “RB” on xbox gamepad
H15: body panel rigidifiers weaker but not breakable now, to reduce chance of mesh stretching
Many debug bindings are now more consistently using “CTRL” combination key, to prevent accidental use.
Added left-shift binding to increase camera speed (Relative and Flying cameras)
Improved recovery system (‘insert’ key): it now remembers the path even after reloading or resetting the vehicle
Tweaked keyboard steering, you can now choose between Grip and Drift filters (in steering bindings), which should be suitable for more driving styles
Fixed inability to invert mouse camera axes
Fixed steering not working while radial menu is active
Fixed buggy radial menu render while using flying camera
Simplified FPS and Advanced Metric panels into a single binding (ctrl+f and ctrl+shift+f) that cycles through both panels
Fixed dragAI helper not working corretly for some car orientations
Internal cameras now use the zoom buttons to change FOV

User Interface
Main menu: you can go back to it now and better visuals
Fixed AI Control app not always populating list of map addresses
Added support for per-scenario UI layouts (add a “uilayout” key in the scenario json file)
Fixed damage UI app mixing data from several vehicles
Fixed flickering of UI apps in multiseat mode
Added lots of hints to loading screen
Fixed force feedback app not showing the full range of steering input
Fixed G-Force UI app trail line being too long
Fixed confusing gear binding names when shown out of context (e.g. filtered search)
Fixed some binding conflicts not showing up
Added vehicles as targets to AI Control
Added smarter target selection for flee/chase AI modes
Updated vehicle debug app with two new options (“Ignite node minimal” and “Explode vehicle”)
Added extensive performance stats to all cars
Improved UI reaction times in Modmanager (not the disabeling and enabeling of mods themselves)
Implemented Hints for loading screen
Added filters and data fields in vehicleselector, that change with unit change (e.g 0-100km/h vs 0-60mph)
Improved the vehicle damage app
Added new engine damage app
Cosmetic changes to debug menu + disabeling some options if they aren’t available
Added reset button for ui theme
Added reset button for app layouts
Fixed warning about firewall blocking the game and making it impossible to connect to the android controller
New consistent image, for content, that doesn’t have an image
Added some Icons for xbox controller bindings
User can choose, if his custom configurations should be shown in the vehicleselector now
Slight cosmetic changes to help
Fixed ingame benchmark (in help)
Added ranges to filters in vehicleselector (e.g. value)
Help now shows a lavasoft warning
Display aero/hydro-dynamic forces in the collision triangle debug visualization

AI
Optimized ai speed planning calculation
Upgraded manual mode to follow a set of user specified nodes and the ability to set user specified speeds (user path planning).
Implemented a race mode as part of the manual mode to loop over a closed circuit path for specified no of laps
Optimized graphpath shortest path finding code
Fixed bug related to isolated manual nodes (set as BeamNGWaypoints) in nav map
Further improvements and bug fixes to the chase mode

Terrains
Polish work on Utah (improved road placement, rocks, etc)
Fixed tree stump on East Coast USA having a larger colmesh than it needed
Increased the lod of trash bins on East Coast USA and Utah
Utah: fixed strange lod issue with tunnel, added missing materials for the reduction mill
East Coast USA: Improved some AI roads
Made the red water of Small Island more water like
Added per level temperature curve based on time of day

Misc
Added confirmation screen when clearing cache, launching safe mode
Added Lavasoft flag and incompatible OS flags for launcher
Added force 64bit launch button to launcher when in 32bit otherwise
Improved mod support for license plates
setDefault vehicle – allows custom default vehicle
Fixed bug with duplicated license plates using SteamID
Fix nomove goal problem with old format scenario’s goals
Fix Enable Competitive scenario conditions
Smoothed tire skidding and rolling sounds, should be less twitchy now
Added tire scrubbing sound effect
Refactored map tracking to only use object ids
Reworked and improved vehicle tracking, much cleaner and less error prone now
Added support for meshes render using translucent zwrite
Added reverse time for scenarios
Small speedup of vehicle loading
Tiremarks now stay visible much longer before disappearing
Relative Camera mode: you can store and restore positions now (see pie menu)
Fixed buggy quotes in chat app
automatically loading vehicle modules from the lua/vehicle/extensions/auto
added global variable detector: It warns if you add a variable in the global Lua scope.
optimized vehicle loading: loading all files into memory first to cluster disk access without delays inbetween
drawing a skeleton if no flexmeshes are present
renamed Lua extension callbacks to make more sense: init, oninit, onLoad > onExtensionLoaded, unUnload > onExtensionUnloaded
Game ships with proper cached collada files now which should result in faster loading times

General Bugfixes
Fixed LUA serialization of float3 and Vector3F, added serialization of Quaternions
Fixed a crash while using “Save level as…” in editor
Fixed tire skidding sound delay: it should now be much easier to feel the tire grip limits
Fixed conflicting output in OutSim when multiseat is used
Fixed bullet-time progressive effect: first time an observer cam was triggered, the fade effect started from zero speed, rather than current speed
Fixed inability to start scenarios when coming from the same level in Freeroam mode
Fixed map data potentially surviving a level change
Fixed launcher on Windows Vista without SP2
Fixed crash on Material system when vehicles have invalid json files
Fixed crash on Forest when render more than 10k items on a render batch
Fixed raycast normals on terrain
Fixed crash on vehicle spawn related to sounds
Fixed crash when game windows is minimized for some time
Fixed camera reset on change game options
Fixed render artifact at the botton of flat surfaces
Minor fixes on graphic options

Jbeam / Lua
Implemented realistic supercharger simulation
Implemented basic thermal turbo damage
Refactored Torque Curve App, fixed outstanding issues, overhauled visuals, added support for hybrid turbo + supercharger setups
Fixed turbo RPM shooting up while shifting, due to faulty wastegate actuator
Implemented much smarter ESC/TCS decision logic which helps keep control over the car in case multiple assistance systems are active at once
Required clutch torque is now automatically calculated if no value is present in jbeam
Fixed drivetrain bug with certain props where it expected ABS data to be existing
Fixed deform/break group visualization if a beam was part of more than one group
Added ability to poll scenario data from running scenario, for potentially dynamic displays in vehicles
Tweaked cruise control to accelerate with a fixed maximum acceleration
Added automatic indicator turn off
Added advanced damping to node grabbing to make it more controllable
More accurate measurement of non inertial G-forces on Z-axis, this improves engine’s oil starvation behavior
Improved brake angular velocity sensors
Added queueObjectLuaCommand (sends LUA commands to another vehicle), getNodeCount and getBeamCount functions to physics core
Improved arcade gearbox engine RPM buildup
Fixed drivetrain bugs that affected reverse gears
Fixed bug with oilTemperature when no engine exists
Tweaked spoiler jbeams for cars with spoilers

Known Problems
Missing vehicle props (steering wheel, etc) in garage mode
Vehicles don’t spawn in the correct position in garage mode
Render artifacts with vehicle spotlights
Replay: Switching vehicles or levels may crash the game
Replay: Recording broken after vehicles lose parts
Replay: Audio and some visual effects not working

Dukester