Space Engineers

General game chat
DarrenM

Space Engineers

Post by DarrenM »

Anyone tried this? It's early access on steam, as every game seems to be these days.

It's a minecraft type crafting game in space. Like Star Made, but with better graphics and more detailed physics etc. It's still alpha, no multiplayer yet.

[youtube] [/youtube]

[youtube] [/youtube]
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Re: Space Engineers

Post by NeilPearson »

That looks awesome! :O
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

[youtube] [/youtube]
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Few issues at the start when on green light.. but it is getting better.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Looks ok, there seems to be a rush of minecraft style games coming out at the moment, I've been playing 7 days to die a bit lately, it's sort of a cross between minecraft and DayZ, you need to survive the hordes of zombies that work to destroy any structure you build through the night to get to you, you can mine for materials or go out and find them around the map, definitely has some potential, and already has multiplayer, if I can find any decent videos of what it's like I'll post them up.
petey

Post by petey »

Wow, the mega missile ship is pretty awesome :yes:
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Anyone been giving this a go since the survival update? Just watched a coupe of survival mode Youtube vids and it looks like it could be fun.

[Edit]Moved to other games since it makes more sense here.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I bought it a couple weeks ago intending to play it over easter but ended up playing AC instead. Looks like it would be fun, just need to learn how it all works.

No dedicated server yet.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I bit the bullet and have spent about 12 hours with it over the last couple of days, certainly shows some promise, has the typical Alpha problems, patch gets released, breaks a bunch of shit, 12 hours later another patch comes out to fix the stuff that was broken, feels very Minecraft in that respect.

Mining on x1 speed is very slow, takes a long time to gather the materials, I might have to step up my save to X3 just to feel like I'm getting somewhere. As far as building things and pulling things apart, doing things in space certainly adds another element to it all, it's very easy to get disoriented, and you have to be thinking about the results of your actions. I've lost count of the amount of shit that has gone spiralling off into space never to be seen again, 10 minutes ago I lost a small mining vessel that was docked on my main ship, I turned to hard and G force ripped the thing off, tried to chase it with the jet pack but I lost it in the background sky, bloody spewing, took ages to mine the materials to build it, and so far I have only scratched the surface.

For anyone looking to give it a go, it's been pretty buggy for me so far, crashes pretty often, but if the devs keep at it I can see it taking off like Minecraft, the only thing at the moment that irks me is that the worlds are limited and not generated on the fly at this time I believe, so there's no real exploration to it so far.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

when it gets further along we should try a SMP server of it. i dont think anyone is playing minecraft atm...
Woodee
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Woodee »

I bought it, but not done any major playing with it.
My Fundraising Journey

Raised over £1000 for the Scoliosis Campaign Fund from 2011-2013.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I started an asteroids preset survival world with everything at 3x and it's not too bad. It would take ages to get enough material for large block thrusters though. I don't think I'd have the patience for it at 1x.

Current plan is to build a space station for bulk ore processing then try to build a mining ship.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I've caved and bought it - it's nice.
But I've started a simple survival and run out of energy in short order. That's it - game over :)
First lesson learned; get enough energy first. But how, is another matter
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I know what you mean Darren, I moved everything to 3X after my last post and it's a lot easier to get things going, but even at 3X I can still see it taking a damn long time to build anything of size. I started on a platform/station last night and it's about 5x15 blocks in size at a guess and so far has burned through well over 1500 steel plates amongst other bits to make the platform itself, a small nuclear generator, beacon, gravity generator and cockpit.

Here's my first mining ship, this increases the speed of material gathering considerably over using the jackhammer. Has a spotlight and ore detector on top to help find the good stuff.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =253683013
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

haha! that ship looks funky! :up:
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

I think it's a game that needs to be played in groups for quick progress. I quite like it. For me though, it's like minecraft, I get bored in solo survival.

Sent from my Nexus 5
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Santaria wrote:I think it's a game that needs to be played in groups for quick progress. I quite like it. For me though, it's like minecraft, I get bored in solo survival.
But there's also the question; what do you do once your group has built a huge ship? :)
In mc you build castles, towers, technical wonders with redstone...but here your options are a tad more limited at the moment, I think. We'll see.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Anyone want to build a V8? :rofl:

[youtube] [/youtube]
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

You can still make castles, towers etc if you want to :)

Doing a space station as a group would help with the uptime, then everyone would make their own ships/creations from there. It's probably more like tekkit. It takes a while to get all your systems and production up and running, which some prefer to do collaboratively, and after that you're only limited by your time and creativity.

Making large structures in survival mode will take a lot longer than minecraft though, given the time you have to spend welding the blocks.

wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

If you are near a gravity well, you can make a drop/scoop ship, to give it the ores.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Finally managed to build my first mining ship yesternight.
It's really basic but I quite like it, it's neat & compact. Here it is.
Took me a few tries, as I've blasted away some parts with the reverse thruster at first :D

I've installed a 2nd small reactor as it kept jumping over 100% and I thought that's why it keeps turning around while mining all the time, but it turns out that drill is simply too heavy-duty :)
P.s. how much metal you can burn though building a refinery and a manufacturing thing! :yikes:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Haha nice one ysu, I have twin drills on my rig now, it still tries to turn around but you can jam both into the rock and they tend go mostly straight, also sorted out auto unloading using connectors and conveyors which makes gathering material a lot less tedious.

In the image below I'm lost inside an asteroid, after about 20 minutes I managed to find my way back out again, was just about ready to suicide and start over.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =254446568" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

That's quite a bit more serious rig you got there!
It's funny how small those asteroids look but when you're inside they tend to grow quite a bit...:)

That unloading idea is an interesting one...I'll look into it myself, too! by the way have you ever blasted the loading dock away with your thrusters? I keep doing that to the station, too :)
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I sure have, the thrusters have had a few redesigns so far to stop damage to my dock, most notably the down thruster.

I do vertical take off and landing, and I needed to stop the downward thrust from destroying the landing pad so it's now high enough to not damage the block below when landed.

Sent from my Nexus 5
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

how many blocks is that?

I've tried to find out, and found one interesting and important piece here on the Space Engineers wiki:
Thrusters require clear space to avoid damaging other objects. Exceptions to this are: small ship thrusters don’t damage heavy armor blocks (so you can build landing platforms), and asteroids.