KartKraft (formely KartSim)

General game chat
GT VIRUS
Karen

Re: KartKraft (formely KartSim)

Post by GT VIRUS »

They all look very different from the version that the beta testers currently have...
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

What's going on with this? Still moving? Or is it dead?
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

H&A-Tech&News published an exclusive gameplay preview video of the upcoming Early Access version of the KartKraft karting simulator by Studio Black Delta.
This rather lengthy preview video (17.25 minutes) shows us plenty of third-person and onboard camera footage while also showing us a glimpse of the user interface and options pages. It is clear that the current development version still contains some small graphical bugs.
Apart from these minor issues, it is safe to say that KartKraft might become the most polished Karting game to date. If Studio Black Delta succeeds in implementing believable physics, KartKraft might become an instant hit in the Karting community.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

That menu interface looks very much like Project Cars.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

It seems that finally, the often debated Kartkraft Early Access version is becoming a reality. Studio Black Delta now officially confirmed that the Early Access version of their Kartkraft karting simulator will be available on Thursday, November 1st at 9.00am PST. The pricing has yet to be announced.

Check the official Steam Store page at https://store.steampowered.com/app/406350/KartKraft/

In an interesting post, Zach Griffin, head of Studio Black Delta, explains to the fans why it took a lot of time to get the title in Early Access.

When I envisioned KartKraft all those years ago, I wanted to make the game I’d always dreamt of when growing up playing racing games in the 90’s. To say I was heavily inspired by Geoff Crammond’s GP2/3/4, Dave Kaemmer’s GPL, Gjon Camaj’s SCGT, and Stefano Casillo’s NetKar Namie would be an understatement.

After racing karts competitively, there wasn’t anything that came close to replicating what it felt like to drive a kart on the limit with 30 other competitors around you and engines screaming at 21,000RPM. And for good reason; despite their deceptively simple appearance, modelling their physical dynamics accurately is an incredibly complex task. Regardless of a kart’s complexity, you won’t ever play a racing game that’s more fun and as close or rewarding than KartKraft.

Much to the detriment of the development schedule, little did I know that making the game with the features I wanted was going to be such a monumental task. With a comparatively small development team of 3 programmers and 3 artists, not only did we play catch up to our competition who all had existing foundations to build upon, we also needed to innovate and exceed what they had already developed. We never settle for second best.

When we released the Closed Beta Test in 2016 it was evident that there were several shortfalls and fundamental issues that prevented giving you that experience. Most notably, the tyre and chassis models weren’t behaving correctly, replay and photo mode were missing, leaderboards didn’t promote competition and game settings kept resetting. Whilst most testers gave incredibly positive feedback, there was no way I could have released KartKraft and ask you to pay for it when I knew we could do better.

Since the end of 2016, and based on the CBT feedback, we completely rebuilt the game from the ground up and have now written over 1 million lines of code. It may not have looked like it, but there hasn’t been a day the game hasn’t been worked on, played or tested with over 15,200 code and art submissions in that time. Let’s not even begin to count the amount of laps driven in that period!

And that only fixed the issues we encountered during CBT. It was even more critical that we had a game framework capable of allowing us to consistently maintain a weekly or fortnightly update cycle for content and new features. Secondly, the framework needed to be flexible enough to quickly implement ideas from the community without having to rewrite large parts of the codebase. I’m proud to say we’ve achieved both of these and more. We’ve added a physically based tyre model, rebuilt the physics engine, remodeled all the karts, improved the AI, added cloud saving, leaderboard ghost modes, all the while creating the most advanced customization system ever seen in a racing game. This is the game I dreamt of all those years ago and I can’t wait for you to play it!

And now the reason for the update. Given our previous track record with release dates, we weren’t going to make the same mistake of announcing again and disappointing so many of you, until we knew with absolute certainty that KartKraft was ready for Early Access. After an incredible journey, KartKraft will be released next week on Steam on Thursday, November 1st at 9.00am PST

Over the coming week, we’ll be releasing new screenshots, gameplay trailers, our Early Access roadmap and an in-depth look at some of the new features we’ve added. It’s going to be an exciting journey and one I and all of you have been waiting for! So set your alarm clocks and add KartKraft to your Steam Wishlist to be notified when it’s out. We’re launching!
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

KartKraft is now available on the dedicated Steam Store page at a special 10% discount launch price of $17.99 USD.

About KartKraft
Laser scanned circuits

Feel your kart bend, twist and bounce on every bump, crack and kerb in the track as you drive on officially licensed circuits from around the world. Scanned with the same technology used in laser-guided missile systems, every surface is accurate to the millimeter. The only thing closer is real life.

Full customization
Build your kart from the ground up with over 60 components and 1000+ parts that all affect handling. Swap out axles, sprockets, carburetors, rims, hubs, torsion bars and many more. If you can see it, you can change it.

Showcase your style
Look the part and stand out from the competition. Kit up in the latest gear from Alpinestars, Arai, Freem, Momo, OMP, and Sparco with more being added during Early Access content updates. Dress the way you want by choosing the suits, gloves, boots, and helmets to show off your unique style.

Leaderboards
Learn from the best as you climb your way to the top of the leaderboards in the ultimate hotlapping competition. See where you rank against your friends, your country and across the globe. With every lap recorded and uploaded to our servers in high-fidelity, see exactly where your competitor brakes, turns and accelerates to gain the edge and send them home.

System Requirements:
Minimum:

Processor: Intel Core i5-4460 or AMD FX-8120
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 760
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 32 GB available space
Sound Card: Integrated
Additional Notes: Game in Early Access, final specs to be defined

Recommended:
Processor: Intel Core i5-8600K or AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 32 GB available space
Sound Card: Integrated
Additional Notes: Game in Early Access, final specs to be defined
Dukester

GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

So, the game has gone backwards from the Beta. Less karts, no AI, and the only mode is a stupid 'hotlap' mode that kicks you out if you beat the time. This game should be avoided at the moment, it's far too broken and boring, and there is no signs that the dev will have the skill to improve the game. Going backwards from where he was 2 years ago is just not inspiring at all
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

The KartKraft development team is carefully following up on the feedback from the community and started addressing the reported issues.
Today they have deployed update Build 0.1.0.1401 featuring a healthy list of fixes and improvements.

Changelog:
Known Issues:
Fatal error when entering the store (Hotfix already on the way)
Fatal error when entering leaderboard mode on Windows 7 machines (Please run the game in compatibility mode set to Win 7 SP3)
Missing presets for Fanatec devices (Working on it!)

New Features:
Added Practice mode to Freeplay
Added live input diagnostic to ‘Bindings’ menu
Enabled HUD countdown when under AI Control
Added ability to set maximum pedal input
Added temporary preference to adjust the maximum braking pressure

New Presets:
Logitech G27
Logitech G29
Logitech G920
Physics Fixes:
Kerbs are less likely to act like trampolines.
Reduced grass damping

Game Fixes:
Increased preference cycle repeat rate
Disabled FFB when under AI Control
Vehicles no longer spawn on grid roof in Practice mode
DirectInput no longer spams the log file when alt-tabbed
Added additional safeguarding and logging for the Win 7 leaderboard mode crash
Respawn notification now appears when you are off track only
Increased contrast of preference menu tabs
Leaderboard widgets now use cached player data
Replay now fades in before cutting
Reduced size of icons in photo mode, vehicle selection, and configuration screens
News items are now sorted by date
Added missing back prompts to more menus
Adjusted AI racing lines to improve flying lap star
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

The KartKraft development team continues to follow up on the feedback of the community and is working hard to address the reported issues.
Today they deployed update Build 0.1.0.1420 featuring a healthy list of fixes and some new features.

Changelog:
Fixes:

Freeze/Fatal error when uploading winning times in Leaderboard mode
Fixed crash when crossing the start/finish line in Leaderboard mode
Fixed cutting exploit by invalidating laps when traveling backward.
Fixed non-descriptive error when Steam/GameSparks fails to load
Removed development option to enable AI control by pressing ‘C’
When resetting your account, saved UE4 data is also reset.
Flying lap now hides lap-time/count on HUD until crossing the start/finish line for the first time
Fixed rewind function in the replay.
Replay timeline now fits within monitor safe region
Game version is now added to the log
Input diagnostic now works in game and menu
Reduced menu navigation sensitivity (Not perfect, will be improved in a future update)
Fixed collision on CRG, Praga, Sodi chassis
Removed “Gained an advantage” from track cutting lap invalidation message.
Fixed bug causing some players to receive an achievement for reaching level 0

New Features:
Added notification when driving backward
Exposed bindings for Next/Previous Page to make navigating the menus easier
Added more debug text to track down errors/crashes more quickly
Added Leaderboard/ghost kart volume control in preferences
Added highlight of friends in Leaderboards. (Colours to be changed in a future update)
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

After an incredible and sleep deprived first week after the launch of KartKraft which saw us hit #1 on the Early Access charts, we thought we'd take a moment to reach out with a quick update.

Firstly thank you to all our players who have devoted their time to helping us track down bugs, search for fixes and try out new patches all the while helping other players too. The KartKraft community is an incredible group of players, all willing to help out just like those who lend you a hand or the chain lube at the track!

Our sole focus remains on fixing the crashes and loading issues a lot of you have experienced, which should see a new hotfix released in the coming days. We've also been working hard to add additional input presets and add the core features you've let us know were missing. Please keep the constructive criticism and suggestions coming, it really is what helps KartKraft become the game you want it to be. The more detailed the critique, the easier it makes our job.

We're also working on a handling/physics update which should see the FFB also improve dramatically. We've identified the problem causing the kart's current handling characteristics and have our heads down solving it as we speak. More updates on this to come.

Finally, we thought we'd give you a sneak preview of the upcoming AI update which will see you race head to head against drivers including Bas Lammers, Bart Price, Dave Sera, Remo Luciani, Anthony Abbasse and more. With a more detailed preview coming,​
Dukester

thornz

Post by thornz »

that almost gave me motion sickness
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Those karts are fast considering the chain is flopping around.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

I finally got around to trying this game, and so far i'm enjoying it. I was pretty happy because the closest track to me, Geelong, is in there. The karts are challenging that's for sure. Not enough brake and you understeer into a corner, too much brake and you're backing into it. There's no power down low, then in the upper revs it's wanting to turn you around, so it's hard to find a middle ground with everything. And the steering is as twitchy as fuck. I uploaded an 11min warts and all video of me trying to figure out how the hell you drive a gokart on the limit. Driving it at 90% is pretty easy but getting it to stay at the limit is hard for an old prick like me.

and a few laps that were slightly less messy cut together.

norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

It is going to take some tweaking. I did about 15 minutes at lunch and got motion sickness. LOL
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Today Studio Black Delta released a new build (0.1.0.1455) featuring a healthy list of fixes and new features.

Changelog:
Fixes/Improvements:

Fixed menu and HUD widgets clipping on certain aspect ratios
Add additional logging for GameSparks connection issues
Improved leaderboard performance caused by dynamic memory allocations
Fixed AI control at framerates below 30FPS
Fixed bug causing national leaderboard entries to not be displayed
Lap Validity is now performed per sector to prevent invalid sectors from being used to calculate the optimal lap
Fixed ghost volume when set to 0%
Fixed stuttering caused by duplicate bindings being written to the log file each frame
Fixed driver suit skinning
Fixed incorrect ambient occlusion on driver suits
Added additional debug information when a cloud document fails to save
Added potential fix for Windows 7 crash when accessing the leaderboard
Fixed menu button selection not working
Changed ‘FFB Gain’ to ‘FFB Strength’ to make it easier to understand
Reduced the default gain for all-wheel FFB presets
Changed ‘Leaderboard’ name to ‘Ranked Time Trial’ to avoid confusion
Fixed crash when traveling back to the main menu
Fixed crash when uploading cloud documents and the POST request fails
Removed redundant track surface decals
Fixed skinning issue on edge loops connecting the balaclava and helmet
Cached requests to the backend for player names

New Features:
Replay timeline can now be dragged with the mouse
Added graphics option to select the output display device
Added slider widget to allow mouse control of cyclical preferences
Added acceleration to slider preferences when using a gamepad or keyboard to navigate
Added option to change camera group by holding down ‘cycle camera’
Added additional onboard cameras
Added motion blur to photo mode
Added option to skip Leaderboard XP/Ranking/Podium menus
Added generic wheel preset
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Studio Black Delta has released Build 0.1.0.1468 featuring some more fixes and new features.

Changelog:
Fixes/Tweaks:
Reduced FFB latency,
Changed FFB filter algorithm,
Improved crowd rendering performance,
Fixed: Vertical navigation acceleration no longer persists after button release,
Fixed: Respawning no longer cycles the onboard camera,
Tuned Geelong Kart Club to appear dry,
Motion blur in photo mode now smoothly blends in after coming to a stop,
Optimization improvements.

New features:
Added slider to control crowd numbers,
Added frame rate cap
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

A new build of KartKraft has been released today on the Steam network, adding yet further improvements to the already very solid karting simulation.
The update provides useful fixes and tweaks to the core game experience - including some pleasing attention to the performance of the title that utilises the FPS hungry Unreal 4 game engine.
Alongside the miscellaneous changes detailed below, todays build is also notable for the inclusion of a new game mode / feature - adding a new take on the current leaderboard that forms the core game experience within the title currently.

KartKraft Update Notes:
Fixes/Tweaks:

Reduced HUD processing time by 75%,
Improved driver animations,
Fixed bug causing the national leaderboard to appear empty intermittently,
Exhaust smoke particles are now only visible when the FX quality is set to ultra,
Removed foliage from all circuits that isn't visible when on the circuit,
Fixed collision on IPK brake rotors causing the kart to shake uncontrollably.

New feature:
Added minimal time trial mode which disables the ghost and only uploads your new time at the end of the session, if better than your previous time.

The new update should be available the next time you restart your Steam client.
Dukester

w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

The detail is great in this game, check out the welds on the front suspension.

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Studio Black Delta deployed the first KartKraft update for 2019 including the first Beta code to add VR support to the game.

The new update supports VR and WMR headsets via SteamVR or the Oculus runtime for those with Rift headsets. Furthermore, Studio Black Delta implemented the second iteration of the physics model with improved force feedback, and claim to have succeeded in improving game performance across the board by 15%.

New Features
VR support (beta) – You can now use VR and WMR headsets via SteamVR or the Oculus runtime for those with Rift headsets. Although there is still much to add and improve, VR is a first-class citizen in KartKraft and will get as much focus as there has been on the rest of the game.
As such, we want to hear your feedback on what you like, what you don’t, and what you think is missing. As a starting point, we recommend adjusting the graphics preferences until you achieve a stable view and high framerate before playing. VR view reset is mapped to triangle on most controllers by default, however, you can rebind this in the input preferences.

Known issues:
No horizon lock/head simulation
Replay mode is inaccessible
HUD and driver names may not render
Menus may clip into world objects
Cinematics and menus may not all be VR compliant
Karts may be blurry when viewed up close. Workaround: Turn down post processing quality

Physics model i2
This build comes with the first major physics iteration since the release of KartKraft. Several bugs were identified and fixed, resulting in increased stability, less understeer and smoother FFB. Leaderboards have also been reset, given these changes.

Known issues:
Some kerbs will cause the kart to rollover much easier than was previously possible
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Studio Black Delta deployed a new version of the Early Access version of their Kartkraft karting simulator.
Update Build 0.1.0.1660 includes a small set of fixes and improvements, and ads native support for OculusVR.

Changelog:
New Features
Added native support for OculusVR including ASW 2.0

Fixes/Tweaks
Updated Unreal Engine to 4.21
Migrated to a new production server
Fixed input detection issue caused by a conflict with SteamVR overlay

Known issues
This build is the precursor to several releases building up to the initial versions of multiplayer and customization. Over 350 changes/fixes have been made that may have introduced new bugs or regressions. If you discover any issues, please let us know on Discord[discord.gg] or the Steam forums so we can fix them.
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Studio Black Delta deployed a new Hotfix patch for the Early Access version of their Kartkraft karting simulator with Update Build 0.1.0.1682 containing mainly bug fixes.

Changelog:
Fixed broken AI avoidance due to incorrect bounds calculation.
Fixed crash in new/reset account sequence in the auto-input device detection state
Fixed crash after having beaten a leaderboard opponent
Fixed crash caused by AI attempting to respawn
Added fallback font for Korean language support
Fixed bug where you could navigate past the last tab in the Game preferences menu
Fixed bug of photo mode not working in a post-race replay
Fixed bug of seeing an incorrect player in the leaderboard intro and podium cinematics
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Studio Black Delta deployed a new update patch for the Early Access version of their Kartkraft karting simulator.
Update 0.1.0.1696 deploys the first build featuring the new telemetry/motion plugin system. Black Delta stated that over the coming weeks, they will be working with motion platform developers to get their systems working with KartKraft.

Changelog:
Telemetry plugin tools

Black Delta added support for streaming core data out of KartKraft as well as a SimTools plugin, They have designed the system to make it easy for anyone with basic coding experience to build their own telemetry apps. With examples in 5 different languages (Python, C++, C#, Java, and Javascript) available now at https://github.com/black-delta/kartkraft-telemetry you can develop, test and release your own app for the KartKraft community. As developers, Studio Black Delta are also strong proponents of forwards and backward compatibility and have chosen technologies that make that possible. That means, an app built today, will still work regardless of the changes we make to KartKraft.

New Features
Added initial version of UDP Telemetry output.

Fixes
Fixed mouse for mouse input not always being correctly detected. Resolves the problem of the mouse not usually working in the Press Any Key menu, click & drag to rotate the camera in the main menu and clicking & dragging to look around in photo mode.
Fixed crash when clicking on leaderboard notifications
Fixed spelling of temperature units (Celcius > Celsius)
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Studio Black Delta deployed a new update patch for the Early Access version of their Kartkraft karting simulator.
Update v0.1.0.1754 introduces setup changes for all karts, giving you full control over caster angle, ride height, scrub radius, rear track width, seat position, and brake strength to tune the handling of your kart. Additional tuning parameters like torsion bars, hubs, and gear sprockets will be added in a future release, once part equipping/swapping is introduced.
Furthermore, Black Delta proudly announced their new website is now online. check it out at www.kartkraftgame.com
Last but not least, the KartKraft development team spent significant time addressing the kerb flipping issue. As a result, the majority of kerbs can now be utilized without fear of rolling over. Keep in mind that these changes created the need to reset all leaderboards.

Changelog:
New Features

Added vehicle tuning and the ability to save these modifications to custom setups
Added sector times to the leaderboards

Fixes/Tweaks

Telemetry output now contains world velocity, track name, sector count, current sector.
Low-speed slip angle telemetry output no longer oscillates
Added wheel slip angle and contact surface telemetry output
Fixed bug where the depth of field sliders in photo mode had no effect
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Studio Black Delta is getting ready to release the Atlanta Motorsports Park track for their KartKraft karting simulator. The track should be available in two weeks time. For now, enjoy these awesome in-game preview screenshots.
The Atlanta Motorsports Park kart circuit is a .85 mile long track that can be divided into four separate tracks and allows up to three simultaneous events at once. The track was built to meet CIK Level A standards and the full course has 43 feet of elevation changes. It is known around the world to have the most radical elevation changes of any kart track in the world.
AMP hosts a few different kart races including Endurance Karting, WKA, Chump Car, SCCA, NASA, World Racing League, ProCup Karting League, member racing series, time trials, and the Public Karting Racing Series.
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester