KartKraft (formely KartSim)

General game chat
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

KartKraft (formely KartSim)

Post by Duke »

Anyone heard of this before?
virtualr.net wrote:After more than a year of working in silence, Zach Griffin, creator of KartSim, has released an extensive development update on his long-term project.

In the video below, Zach addresses what has happened in development since the last update, showing off plenty of good looking new gameplay footage as well!

Furthermore, Zach also addresses the requests of many sim racers asking for a Kickstarter campaign to support the title as Kart Sim will be making its way both to Kickstarter and Steam Greenlight in the coming months!

KartSim will be accurately simulating the the thrill of driving a racing kart, the starting point of almost every professional racing career. To ensure realism, the title uses an industry standard tire model and a real-time FEM model to simulate the flex of the chassis.

The title is based on the Unity engine that is paired up with a scratch-made physics engine developed by Zach.

[youtube] [/youtube]
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
matticooper

Re: KartSim

Post by matticooper »

As he said in the video, has been on the radar for a few years. The last update was a bunch of pictures which was also seen in the video.

But apart from Kart Racing Pro, there's nothing else out there.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Been floating around for a while now, Could be good.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
pab

Post by pab »

I'm a little concerned that he just disappeared for years after promising a release for about 4 years straight from about 2009 to 2012, and now reappears promising to finish it and asking for money. I'd love to see him finish it, but just a touch wary of his track record (if you'll excuse the pun) so far.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

pab wrote:I'm a little concerned that he just disappeared for years after promising a release for about 4 years straight from about 2009 to 2012, and now reappears promising to finish it and asking for money. I'd love to see him finish it, but just a touch wary of his track record (if you'll excuse the pun) so far.
Watch the youtube pab, he explains his absence... been working on a commercial real driver training sim which is now complete. :eek:
Dukester

pab

Post by pab »

Flinty72 wrote:
pab wrote:I'm a little concerned that he just disappeared for years after promising a release for about 4 years straight from about 2009 to 2012, and now reappears promising to finish it and asking for money. I'd love to see him finish it, but just a touch wary of his track record (if you'll excuse the pun) so far.
Watch the youtube pab, he explains his absence... been working on a commercial real driver training sim which is now complete. :eek:
Yeah, I understand that, but you know what I mean? If, after the kickstarter ends, he gets another offer to build another commercial sim does he turn it down, or does he disappear for another 2 years?

Having said that, I'd love to see a good kart sim, and I'd like to support an independant, Australian developer, hopefully he'll see it through.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Wow, I remember chatting to Zach years and years ago about this. I don't even know how I knew him anymore. Amazed this is still in development.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

I won't kickstart this UNLESS it includes a demo right away.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

GT VIRUS wrote:I won't kickstart this UNLESS it includes a demo right away.
I think he would have to if he does what he says by putting on STEAM Early Access at the same time, right???
Dukester

GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

They are very different things in my mind. If he puts on kick start saying you'll get the tech demo right away, i'll support it. Green light can take a little time for games to appear as well. Simple really, no game no money.

Also would love some modding tools very early on. I have basic versions of all the local tracks that I would throw in right away :D
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Similar story to Kunos, but Kunos got as far as releasing a game before deciding to go do commercial sim work.

At least this guy didn't run off leaving a bunch of people feeling they'd been ripped off with an unfinished game :)

The netKar Pro experience makes me wary of a solo developer project. I think he'd be better off putting a team together rather than trying to do everything himself. Even if it's only 3 guys like LFS.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

That take time off.. and well.. are still off.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

DarrenM wrote:Similar story to Kunos, but Kunos got as far as releasing a game before deciding to go do commercial sim work.

At least this guy didn't run off leaving a bunch of people feeling they'd been ripped off with an unfinished game :)

The netKar Pro experience makes me wary of a solo developer project. I think he'd be better off putting a team together rather than trying to do everything himself. Even if it's only 3 guys like LFS.
It's a point, but isn't LFS an unfinished game? Or more recently, will cars be finished, ever? I mean the risk of one man giving up is probably bigger, but it's in no way a clear indication as to what will happen, IMHO.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Well it has got the "Green Light"!!!

Looks like Zach will now be very busy
Hi All,

We did it! A massive thank you to everyone who voted; we are now officially 'Greenlit'. As you can imagine, things are quite crazy at the moment so I'll be adding a more detailed update in the next few days as to what this means, our next steps and when you can get your hands on the game. Thanks again everyone, we're nearly there!

Zach Griffin
Dukester

matticooper

Post by matticooper »

so, for someone that doesn't steam... what does that mean? It will be pre-released on Steam?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Greenlight is a filter for indie game submissions using community votes/interest levels to stop steam from getting flooded with mountains of crap like you see on the phone app stores. Devs submit their game to it and if it gets enough votes then they get listed in the store. Doesn't have to be pre-release/early access.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

DarrenM wrote:Greenlight is a filter for indie game submissions using community votes/interest levels to stop steam from getting flooded with mountains of crap like you see on the phone app stores. Devs submit their game to it and if it gets enough votes then they get listed in the store. Doesn't have to be pre-release/early access.
Current game excluded, If that's the intention of Greenlight, I don't reckon is doing it's job, most of the games I see on Steam these days are shit rehashed 80s platform games the are exactly like the crap on phone app stores. :nod:
richo

Post by richo »

Spot on Shonky it's like movies/tv now constant rehashes of stuff that was crap to begin with.
[]D [] []v[] []D
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Shonky wrote:
DarrenM wrote:Greenlight is a filter for indie game submissions using community votes/interest levels to stop steam from getting flooded with mountains of crap like you see on the phone app stores. Devs submit their game to it and if it gets enough votes then they get listed in the store. Doesn't have to be pre-release/early access.
Current game excluded, If that's the intention of Greenlight, I don't reckon is doing it's job, most of the games I see on Steam these days are shit rehashed 80s platform games the are exactly like the crap on phone app stores. :nod:

Pretty much.

At one point, Steam was there and you could find quality games at a decent price. Now, Steam just let any old shit on the platform as long as they get a slice of the pie.
Woodee
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Woodee »

Yes.... but it is voted on by the people, so how can it be wrong? Might not be your cup of tea, so to speak, but it must have been someone's to get them greenlit in the first place.

For many of us that grew up with the platformers and chunky pixel games, this is nothing new to us... the 80's were full of them. To someone that didn't grow up in the 80's/90's it may be their first taste of games, it isn't "retro" to them.
My Fundraising Journey

Raised over £1000 for the Scoliosis Campaign Fund from 2011-2013.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

It's not just Greenlit projects that are clogging up Steam with shit.

Remember the Ashes Cricket 2013 debacle ?
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Hi All,

After a hectic fortnight since we were Greenlit, here's a quick update on KartSim's progress and a big announcement.

During the past year we've been fortunate enough to be involved in the Unreal Engine 4 Beta program and have been working behind the scenes to port the existing prototype written in Unity, to the much more powerful, robust and feature complete, Unreal Engine 4.

So what does that mean for us all? Whilst the gameplay will only ever get better, we can now announce support for Oculus VR, Linux and Mac versions, support for modding via Steam Workshop and visuals that edge ever closer to photorealism. With the extra power available in UE4, your request to make the tyre walls break apart into individual tyres is also being worked on, which will only add to the fun factor in the sandbox mode. (Server options will be available to turn this off for more serious drivers).

We've also taken your feedback and will be improving the engine sounds significantly. There are a lot more features that will be announced soon, but will be keeping them under wraps for the moment.

Thanks again for all your feedback and getting KartSim Greenlit. In the next update, I hope to give you a firm release date for KartSim, which I'm sure you've all been waiting for.

In the meantime, since we've received a lot of requests to do so, we'll be releasing templates for everyone to start working on their helmets and team tents, with an accompanying tutorial on how to texture them. Stay tuned!

Zach Griffin
Dukester

GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Reminds me of another game that changed engines... something with forever in the name...

I would be a little more impressed if I saw an modern kart in the game soon as well.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Formally known as KartSim, KartKraft will be accurately simulating the the thrill of driving a racing kart, the starting point of almost every professional racing career. To ensure realism, the title uses an industry standard tire model and a real-time FEM model to simulate the flex of the chassis.

Today Zach’s Australian Studio Black Delta made things right by releasing a new teaser video that shows us plenty of in-game Kart action. It is clear that the KartKraft development team have created some beautiful Kart and driver models, and that a lot of effort is pumped into the track creation. Time will have to tell if the physics of the game will live up to simulation standards.

Studio Black Delta have also confirmed that the title will be coming to Steam Early Access. Most likely during the first quarter of 2016.

More info at kartkraftgame.com & Steam
Dukester

r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Re: KartKraft (formely KartSim)

Post by r8response »

This still comes across as Racing Legends 2.0

Hopefully it all comes to fruition.