Rise of Flight - anyone want a free Camel?

General game chat
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Rise of Flight - anyone want a free Camel?

Post by smithcorp »

I have one to give away...
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Re: Rise of Flight - anyone want a free Camel?

Post by r8response »

One hump or two?
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Its a very good looking camel...
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

I have the whole set. But this does remind me that I should get my pup, camel and dolphin out more often.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I got me a camel already but I haven't bought anything new since the Brandenburg W12. I haven't played for a long time.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Guys, fill me in.

Is this sim worth having?

I started with Red Baron 3D and loved it but its days are done, even with the latest graphics packs. It is still the most immersive flight sim I've ever flown and rates with the all-time great sims of any genre, IMHO.

If Rise of Flight is good, what do I need to start with and how much does it cost? I already have controllers (stick, throttle & pedals).
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

I love it JD. You can try it free here: http://riseofflight.com/tryrof/en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With the free package you can fly two pretty good planes - Spad and Albatros DV and then buy add-on planes if you want. You can play online with those and even jump in the gunner seat of any two-seater or bomber. I'd beh appy to jump online with you.

If you have pedals and a stick you are set - very few keys need to be set up.

Trackir is a must-have in my opinion, but you could try without it - the view system can take a little getting used to but this setup link will help. Without Trackir you can still use the stick hat to get snap views and padlocks.

http://en.wiki.riseofflight.com/index.p ... r_Controls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

smith
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

I've wasted a lot of my time on this game over the last few years. I really like it and I own the entire plane set. It's probably the game I am most interested in seeing through an Oculus Rift.

I like that the planes aren't complicated. Stick, pedals, throttle, mixture plus a few odds and ends and you're set. Most joysticks will have enough buttons on them to do the essentials. I use Track-IR to look around while flying, so I can't comment on how usable those controls are.

Go here to download a free-to-play version: http://riseofflight.com/tryrof/en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It'll give you access to the SPAD XIII and the Albatros DVa. Note that the Alby is a bit of a dog and many complained of the flight model for it and the other Albies not giving the plane the performance that many contemporary pilots observed. Also, note that neither of these planes are turn fighters so don't be surprised if you find yourself stalling into a spin. The demo allows you to play online against all the other plane types, as well as man gunner seats on multiple-stationed planes.

I think the community is a bit dead these days, with development stopped with the advent of IL2 Battle of Stalingrad. There are sometimes people out on multiplayer servers if you're so inclined. Here's a list of them: http://online.riseofflight.net/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's also some mods that you can find links to on the RoF website.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Thanks guys. Downloading now.

My favourite in Bed Baron 3D was the Nieuport 17 and was able to defeat everything in it up to and including the Fokker D.VII so I suspect the flight model was porked.

What are your favourites and why? The SPAD was one of my least favourite types, especially the XIII. Don't know why. I know it was a good aircraft but it just didn't do it for me.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Yeah, I never liked the Spad much. The Sopwith Pup is lovely, but I tend to gravitate to the two-seaters and bombers. I really like the RE8 and the Bristol Fighter, but at the moment I am messing about in the Felixstowe flying boat - see here:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/t ... pider_Web_" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[RoF]_Mission_1

I rarely fly the German planes, but if I do I like the old Halberstadt DII for a fighter and the Roland as a two-seater.

[youtube] [/youtube]

[youtube] [/youtube]
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Is there a Lohner flying boat?

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Nope but you get a Felixstowe.

[youtube] [/youtube]

It's a really good sim JD. I had a hell of a time in combat training missions against Fokker D VII's. It felt like it wouldn't end and I think I spend 1/2 hour in a dog fight with them and they got me. I've played on line too and found no one to fight so I went balloon busting over the trenches, only to have flak bring me down and got captured. Some early planes have no throttle so you're using a kill switch to control your speed. And if I remember right myself and Mr. Smith tried a bomber on line one night and I got shot and died.

I loved European Air War and Il-2 Sturmovik but Rise of Flight, I think, is the best.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

I have a lot of favourites.

Sopwith Triplane
Sopwith Camel - iconic and a handful
Sopwith Dolphin (I paid for extra guns - the twin lewises on the wings combined with the standard twin vickers make for great boom-n-zoom shredding)
Fokker EIII - quirky
Pfalz DIIIa (excellent dog-fighter in this game, being called the Pfalzocopter for its ability to hang on its prop)
Fokker DrI - iconic and a handful
Fokker DVIII

Alby DII's vs Nieuport 17's is a good combo, but the N17 can be a handful to land without looping.
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

Hey, Cursed...what's the secret to not being shot out of the sky on the first pass, or if surviving that, dieing in the mid-air collision that follows as I try to gain lead in the turning fight?
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

The easiest way not to get shot, in my humble opinion, is to not fly in front of the bad guy's guns. :dunce:

Flying a head-on pass is a crap shoot. Climb! Climb like your life depends on it. Altitude is life.

If you really must go head-to-head - you can fly to one side and do a bit of side slip with some rudder and aileron when you get in range. You will sacrifice speed though. I don't make any claims of being any good at this.

You have to remember that with the exception of planes with balloon guns fitted, you're firing the same calibre weapons as the guys in the mud. The odds are against you taking the bad guy down in the short window that he's in range and closing in at a combined speed well over 200mph.

As for colliding during a turn-fight - even though some famous pilot of the era said something like, "when you think you're close enough, get closer", there are limits to this wisdom.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

The head-on pass is a mug's game in this sim. I agree with Cursed about sideslipping a little with rudder, but the other tactic is the fake head-on, where you drop your nose below the oncoming plane then climb into an Immelman before he reaches you, so you can get behind and above before he can turn after the pass. Here it is demonstrated in CLOD: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This guy's channel is the best source of tactics and he has the advantage of being an Aussie and in the RAAF: https://www.youtube.com/user/Requiem10NS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Subscribed!

Thanks!

by the way, I don't know how it is in this sim because I haven't tried it yet but head on is for the birds. If you must do it, you need to remember to aim over your opponent's head and slowly bring your nose down but chances are, you'll get shot to bits. I found I had more luck this way.

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Wait until you've lined your target up and your guns jam, and they do a lot! :D
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

The canned "Dogfight" mission (quick mission) starts you closing head-on with the enemy for a first pass. These are early war scenarios so in Nieuports or Spads.

Turning presents an easier passing shot to the enemy at that range or just gives them the trail position. Climbing just slows you down and presents your belly while you lose sight of the enemy underneath you and diving just closes the range faster.

Split-S, corkscrew, stalling :faint: and any number of other gyrations including Immleman (you mean with the original version that Max created with the rudder turn at apogee rather than the upside down split-s I presume) - I've tried them all and then some and died each time or been so badly damaged that I can't see because of the blood or oil. Running away seems to me to defeat the purpose of dogfighting so that's not a real option.

If you have tried the dogfight missions you blokes must be master pilots, or you have the enemy's skill levels turned right down. :prod: :D

So, seriously...if you've done the quick mission using the default settings, how did you fly it?

Naturally, you can tell why I haven't really been able to get deep into this sim...too much frustration I'm afraid. The only victories I've had are the mi-air collisions when trying to get in close in a single circle fight or, usually, when we merge in a two circle fight.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

I didn't honestly spend a lot of time in the quick missions. I went for the career mode. You normally fly as part of a group so you don't often end up in this situation. Still, head-ons do occur, but they are risky.

What plane are you and your opponent in? Maybe running and climbing isn't a bad option if speed or climb rate is your strength. You have to play to your plane's relative strengths and get an advantage if you can. If you're in a DH2, good luck.

You can also use the "Fly Now" missions for each plane for practising your techniques. The map is divided into zones and you can choose what you want to do on there. Dogfight opponents spawn in a known altitude range, so you can choose if you want to be above or below them beforehand.
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

I'd prefer to just shoot them in the face with a "Fox three" and make them defend or die, but we're about 80 years too early for that.

I can't remember the enemy aircraft type, but early war. It doesn't really matter, I just suck, but I thought you might be able to pass on the secret knowledge.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Dr. Pain wrote:Wait until you've lined your target up and your guns jam, and they do a lot! :D
Yes! Bind the reload action to an easily accessed button on your joystick! You will use this a lot, as guns do jam a lot.

I have the blip switch mapped (for when i fly the early planes which really need it), plus reload, engine start/stop and drop bombs, as well as start/end recorder. I also have radiator and mixture controls on a hat switch, stabiliser/trim for the RE8 and SE5 and a toggle for the Strutter's big flap (I think that's all - I never fly anything with an altitude throttle). You don't need many keys bound for this sim.

I rarely fly quick missions - almost always Career mode. I find head-ons rare in my flying of it, but when they happen (two formations coming together in a rush) I try to skid a bit with rudder, nose down a bit to get speed then time my pitch up and climb just before the EA get to me, so I can half loop, roll off the top and be above most of the dogfight. i used to get waxed a lot in turning fights (getting low on height and energy) so I try to boom and zoom now almost exclusively. The AI tend to make one pass then start turning.
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

smithcorp wrote:... I find head-ons rare in my flying of it, but when they happen (two formations coming together in a rush) I try to skid a bit with rudder, nose down a bit to get speed then time my pitch up and climb just before the EA get to me, so I can half loop, roll off the top and be above most of the dogfight. i used to get waxed a lot in turning fights (getting low on height and energy) so I try to boom and zoom now almost exclusively. The AI tend to make one pass then start turning.
I think I got a bit of a chubby reading that. :yes:
The only reason I have been doing the quick missions is training - so my carreer pilots have a better than nil chance of surviving more than two missions. I have a long list of KIAs
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

777 are having a Thanksgiving sale from Nov 26 - Dec 2: http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=44564" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

My favourite plane to fly around in is the Sopwith Pup. One map has a train, some cars and a barge to beat up. Although with a single machine gun, it takes time and you don't get much ammo. But it's a really nice plane to fly I find. I'd be mince meat in on line combat though.