Elite: Dangerous

General game chat
Shonky

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Post by Shonky »

Don't be shy to put in A type of anything blokes, I always run an A power distributor, FSD at a minimum on any ship, it costs money but if you sell it off the ship before you sell the ship, you get your money back on the upgrades this way.

If you sell the upgrades still fitted to the ship you lose 10% on the upgrades as well as the ship.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Fuel scoops are a must.. jump scoop, jump again, so easy.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Had my first two interdictions tonight while I was shuttling tea and crop harvesters between Cleve Dock and Ackerman Markets in Eravate. In the first one I had no idea what to do - I couldn't stay on the escape vector and got caught - dangerous heat levels, I couldn't manoeuvre to get this bloke off my tail (an NPC), my shields went down but I finally managed to boost away and my frameshift charged while I still had 35% hull. Cost my 700 cr to repair.

The second time I held the escape vector and made it away. But what's the best strategy; and am I more susceptible to interdiction if I'm running backwards and forwards between stations, rather than mixing my routes up?

I doubled my money tonight, even with the cost of repairs - up to about 14,000 cr now.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Interdictions are just random in my opinion. I got tangled in 3 or 4 last night.

One of those "Seeking Luxuries" opportunities came up in a nearby system. It's not *that* much more lucrative than other commodities at a nearby station. I'm running 1400CR/T in one direction (Beryllium) and 1100CR/T the other with the Performance Enhancers for the the luxury gang. All in a 36T capacity cobra.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
petey

Post by petey »

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Seems they've done a server fix for supply/demand of commodities. Existing trade routes might not be any good now, and may become unprofitable quicker. Sounds like they also made changes to seeking luxuries so that exploit may be over as well.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Fortunately my seeking Luxuries was not all that lucrative. Resonating Separators or whatever they're called are worth more in the destination system anyway. The supply-demand thing could impact me sooner. Supply of Berrylium is in the 4000ish range for my return trip, and my purpose-bought Type 6 is grabbing them 96T at a time.

I'm hoping to milk this run long enough to get cashed up for an Asp. I have 1.5mil in my Cobra, about 2mil in the Lakon 6 and now about 800k in the bank. I figure that puts me about 1/3 the funds I'd want on hand to buy an Asp. The 200k+ return trip is very profitable, but I'm only getting a couple of runs per night. Now AACL is back on, I'll have to cut back on Elite.

Once I have the Asp I'm going to look at chasing Federation Navy ranks for shits and giggles. I believe the next thing I need to do is one of those high price assassinations.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Combat zones are reasonably profitable now. Particularly high intensity zones were you can hang around the capital ship and get easy kills. Not as good as trading of course, but I'm getting about 750k per hour doing the community goal in Khasiri. Much better than I get bounty hunting.

I tried the trading goal but it didn't take long for supplies to get exhausted in a large radius around the destination system. It had over 7000 through the system last time I was there. Only about 250 have done the combat mission so far though.

Still need about 30M to finish kitting out my clipper. A lot more if I want to max out the class 7 shield I'm using for the combat zone. 51M for a 7A shield :o
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

How's the clipper Darren? I've been thinking about trading in my Python for something different since the devs hit it with the nerf bat, I should probably wait till 1.2 and see what the new ships are like.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I find it fun and responsive to fly. The python and anaconda don't appeal to me so I'm sticking with it until something better gets added. I've done a few 150k assassination missions with it and can kill AI pythons and anacondas at nav beacons without too much difficulty. The cockpit is cool as well. It was refreshing to get into something that wasn't all grey and military/industrial.

Still need to get some A upgrades for my ship, particularly the thrusters. I've got a few B components it's become a bit too heavy. Still need to earn a couple million before I can get those. Top level components seem a bit hard to find but I guess it's the same problem for the python. Wish we could store components because if I refit for trading it becomes a pain to find the large shield generator etc when switching back to combat mode.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Well... you could save a bit more moneyz, and just get another ship.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

A second ship would be the eventual goal. It's going to take a while to get there with the trading fixes and removal of seeking luxuries though.

Here's a preview of the wings update scheduled for March. Sounds like it could also improve the game for solo players.
http://www.pcgamer.com/elite-dangerous- ... ith-wings/
For the upcoming patch 1.2, co-operation will more intimate and immediate. It's called the 'Wings' update, and it will let up to four players group together to patrol the galaxies as a single unit.

"Players will be able to share lots of feedback across the wing—who is targeting who, hull and shield statuses, etc.—and more easily follow each other in and out of Super Cruise," says Sandro Sammarco, Elite: Dangerous lead designer. The status of your wingmen will be displayed on your ship UI, and wing members will be colour-coded on the scanner and comms window, making it easy to keep track of your squadron.

More than just knowing where your friends are, players in a wing will be able to share the bounty on any ship that they bring down together. To counteract this increase in firepower, the game will respond with tougher challenges. "In 1.2, players will start to see larger, more dangerous signal sources, where single ships would be at serious risk," Sammarco says. "Those signal sources will be perfect battlegrounds for coordinated squadrons, and they’ll find the rewards—in terms of bounties and cargo—will be suitably elevated in line with the challenge."
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Bounty hunting in RES's has been beefed up. Much bigger bounties and a lot more targets. Plus the wings means you can get groups of 3 ai ships which all attack you if you attack them. Seeing lots of pythons, drop ships and anacondas as well.

Still not as profitable as trading, but I made 3.5M in a bit under 2 hours yesterday and it's a lot more fun :)

They also reduced the cost of the new ships after initial backlash. 51M for the Fer de Lance. 4.6M for the Vulture. 1 huge and 4 medium hardpoints on the Fer de Lance but it's a combat ship so not many internal slots. Seems the Vulture is a bit crap. Apparently the reactor bay isn't big enough.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I've been holding off in the hope that some more content comes along, the grind got the better of both Raz and myself.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

The dangers of pasting messages to other commanders...

wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Ha, CMDR BustaNut.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Haha excellent!
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

The next update looks pretty sweet.

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcb ... b0a8ebba0b

You can align yourself to factions and it sounds like there will be community goals each week to try to expand or defend them. 2 new ships as well.

I'd stopped playing but some friends bought it on steam and they've sucked me back into it :eek:
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Looks good but I take everything from Frontier with a grain of salt, this strikes me as an email to hype up new features that have an unknown release date because players are walking away from it in droves due to the lack of a complete game at release.

It may sound like I am disappointed with Elite at release, you bet I f'kn am!

GTAV will have to tie me over until Frontier get their shit together.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Yeah, they released an empty shell of a game that they're slowly filling up which is frustrating. They've been consistent with getting features in after announcing them though.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

The Powerplay update is in testing. Looks like it will give a bit more purpose to your activities. They've also overhauled the mission system so you can get missions scaled to your pilot rank.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=147485

DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I haven't touched powerplay. From what I've seen it looks like it's also a bit of a grind, but with decent rewards for regular players.

CQC is fun, but I don't see me playing it much. The game modes are basic and don't give much variety. Just deathmatch, team deathmatch and capture the flag. Needs some team objective modes.

They've greatly improved the missions. They now scale with your rank so you can earn pretty good money doing them now. A lot of people are doing smuggling missions which pay well and add a bit more spice over the regular delivery missions.

They've also added a new Hazardous RES which has no law enforcement and wings of large ships. I've almost died several times in my anaconda. A wing of a Fer de Lance and 2 Federal Assault ships is a bit too much to take on solo.

Next thing to look forward to is planetary landings, but it's a full price expansion.

Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I'm getting bored with gaming again lately, maybe it's time I took another look at this and hopefully I am past my disappointment and can look at it with a fresh set of eyes.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

I was about to play last night when my PC crapped itself about the CPU fan and overheating - time to clear out the dust...