Elite: Dangerous

General game chat
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I see there's a Star Citizen thread but not one for Elite, anyone else interested in this?

The development of it appears to be moving on better than SC from what I've seen in the latest beta gameplay videos, and I've been hanging out for a decent space sim like a lot of people for a while now, just not sure I'm ready to drop the 50 quid asking price yet.

[youtube] [/youtube]
Cursed

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Post by Cursed »

I just bought this for myself for Fathers' Day. I remember wasting a lot of time on my C64 as a kid on Elite.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

A mate of mine who also played this on C64 reckons he will be grabbing it for the same reason, I never played Elite but I loved Freelancer and this seems very similar.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I've played the crap out of the orig Elite on our ZX Spectrum :)
But this may or may not be the same...we'll see. I'll wait for the consensus. Plus I'm not sure if it's playable w/o a joystick, as I don't have one.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

ysu wrote:Plus I'm not sure if it's playable w/o a joystick, as I don't have one.
You can play with mouse/keyboard. Like racing sims, it's easier if you use the proper peripherals.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Well I cracked and bought it, taking some time to get setup properly and get my head around the interface but I'm getting there.

I can confirm what R8 said about mouse/kb, it was on this by default until I changed to suit my trusty old M$ Sidewinder.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

I picked up a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro from EB during a "sale" for cheap.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Well, I've blown a few hours on this now and even though the game still has many elements to come, it gives me a big stupid grin to fly around and dock in a spinning space station. I hope they can make it play "Blue Danube" when engaging a docking computer.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Haha, it is satisfying navigating your way into, and docking with a station, for the 1st 20 minutes I couldn't find the bloody entrance let alone dock. :rofl:
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Elite gets released today at midday GMT (7.5 hours from now)

I just made a pre-order because apparently the price will go up a little afterwards.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

DarrenM wrote:Elite gets released today at midday GMT (7.5 hours from now)

I just made a pre-order because apparently the price will go up a little afterwards.
I'll wait until they iron it all out - the price will go down by then :D
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

I impulse purchased the bejeezus out of this last night.

Shonky, I've got a sidewinder joystick too, any thoughts on the the best way to utilize all the buttons, seeing that you've had it for a while.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I've had it a while, have I been playing it, no not really, just been too busy and waiting for a couple of mates to pick it up before getting back on board.

My Sidewinder finally bought it, only took 10+years and only recently picked up a CH HOTAS setup, but essentially there's too many buttons for my old brain to remember, try and keep the main controls on the stick, and then look to using Roccat Power Grid to serve controls on an Android tablet.

Another option if you don't mind playing with a headset on all the time, setup Voice Attack and control things using voice commands. This is the ducks nuts when used in conjunction with Rift.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Played through most of the tutorials last night. So many mappable controls and the default mapping didn't work :eek:

It's going to take a bit to sort them out but I was able to get by without many controls mapped. I'm going to need a few more to make things easier, like having a different set of mappings for landing. Also found my G930 headset isn't very good for playing this game with the rift. They're heavy and every time I look up in a dogfight they slip back. Might have to look at making a joystick table for my racing cockpit so I can use its surround speakers instead.

I'll need to watch some youtube videos as well. The tutorial on travelling between systems didn't show me how to select another destination on the map and I couldn't figure out how to do it.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I found you can change the colour of the UI which can make it easier to read in the rift. Green with blue accents works pretty well.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

I was messing around with this earlier. First things first, wow, it's pretty fun, I can see some hours going into this.

I had my G25 plugged in at the same time as the MS sidewinder and decided to map some stuff to the gear lever console thing :D Now I have my landing controls for left right up down on the d-pad and forward and back thrusters on the buttons above. Working well so far.

I had a watch through all the tutorials too. This seems like a big complex game to me, but I'm looking forward to slowly working it all out.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Anyone tried the grouping/friends stuff yet, a mate of mine is keen to play but can't seem to find an answer to whether this side of things is sorted (ie will be able to find each other in space), but he doesn't want to spend the money till we can confirm this?
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

I bought this and had my first session with it tonight - training and then a short trip to Erevate to sell a ton on Cobalt for a 50% profit. What a neat game.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

That it is.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I've been playing it pretty solidly since xmas. At the moment I'm a bit frustrated by the huge gap between the smaller ships and the big ones. 6M for the Asp and then it jumps to 24M for the Clipper or 19M for the Type 7 trading ship. Only choice is trading so I bought a Type 6 for some Euro Space Truck action.

With my current route it'll take me 27 more hours to save up for the type 7 though. Need to look around for a better one.

I use this site for figuring out the components to get. There's too much information missing in game.
http://www.edshipyard.com
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Raz and myself have been playing this consistently too, I just got myself into a type 7, Raz did it a few days back.

The trick is finding a good run with a type 6 and grind. We are over in Empire space and the run netted us around 1500/t one way and 1250/t on the return leg. I won't share it on the forum because runs get flogged by the masses once found out but I can pm it if you like.

"SHONKY DAVE" and "RAZIMOTO" are our names if you want to add us.

I've found I enjoy it more if I do some grinding, then as soon as I get sick of it go and do some missions or bounty hunting at nav beacons for some fun.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Do you all play in open or do you dabble in solo? I haven't gone outside solo yet, until I get everything under my belt.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Currently we've been playing in our own private group, I did play open for the first few months until my mate picked up the game, it doesn't worry me to much being in open play, I think I came across only one CMDR in my time playing beta, this might be different now that it's full release, once the guys in our group get themselves setup financially we'll go open.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Oh really? I've been playing open from the beginning. Why are you avoiding it?
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Just removing the PvP element while grinding, one mate likes to run max cargo in the type 7 with no shields, it's easy enough to avoid npcs but human players are another thing, sometimes you get dicks that kill on site for no reason other than to increase the bounty on their head.