Elite: Dangerous

General game chat
petey

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Post by petey »

just bought this again to play on xbox one with a mate. Good fun flying around in a wing :yes:
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

it's on sale...but I wonder if I should buy it as it seems to depend on joystick setups a bit too much ...
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

It can be played with a gamepad, but I think a joystick would be preferable. A friend played it with an xbox360 controller and seemed happy with it. I played it for a couple months with a $35 Logitech Extreme 3D Pro before getting a hotas. There's a thrustmaster hotas for $70-80.

The game is fun when starting out, but it can become a shallow grind if you let it. All the new planetary landing stuff is in a separate, full price expansion.

Worth the $15USD, but that depends whether you want to spend the extra money getting a controller. I splurged on an X-55 because I planned to play Star Citizen and no mans sky with it as well. Also needed the extra buttons for VR.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Thanks, how about mouse + kb? I don't use controllers - except my wheel, occasionally :)
Spending $70 on a controller to play a $15 game seems a bit silly, innit?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

There are some youtube videos on it. This guy thinks it's better.

His kb layout

A full tutorial

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

ok, that may work. If it can be made to work, it's fine.
I've played Descent, back in the day, very effectively on kb+mouse, so I've no problem with many-button controls :)
Thanks!
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

The new Descent is also on sale, though it's very early alpha and virtually nobody is playing it.

wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

If you like Descent, have a look at Sublevel Zero.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

What a piece of garbage this elite is. First it requires a separate registration from steam, then it takes ages to send an email, and when I'm in it mis-reads my screen config and provides me with a screen I can't read.
There's no option to change resolution in that "launcher" thing.
Half an hour of my life I'll never get back.
Refund it is.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

That's unfortunate ysu, but I do think you would have been bored with it after a short amount of time anyway so maybe it's for the better.

I'm pretty pissed they are going with a full price addon with Horizons, I don't feel I got my monies worth from the original release, and I'm not really seeing any decent game play coming from the add on at this point, the landings just feel like another place to grind for credits to me, go to this planet, pick up this widget, bring back to this station, here's 2 credits, now do it again.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Uh, I got it on the weekend also, and got the e-mail right away.

Though.. I have spent more time playing TableTop Simulator then Elite.. 65hrs v 4hrs, purchased at the same time with Elite played first.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Did you take the plunge on Horizons Darren?

Spent my lunch watching youtube videos on it I have a small urge to play again but once bitten twice shy, I'll give it some time before I make up my mind as to whether I'll pick it up.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

I want a Freelancer remake [DISAPPOINTED FACE]

Sent from my Nexus 5
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I did but I've been away all week. Only had a brief go today and my frame rates in VR mode were basically unplayable when I got near a planet and less than 75fps in stations etc. I'll have to play around with the detail settings some more, but it looks like it may get shelved until I get a new video card :(
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

It does need a bit of power to get it running well.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

:eyepop:

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

That looks cool I have to admit. I might give it another try.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

It's worth noting that what you see in the video is all that happens at the moment. It's just the latest bread crumb in their very slow process of adding Thargoids to the game.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Aaah. Well, I'm more interested in playability anyway, at this point; if they've fixed it enough so I can run it or not :)
Although seeing the slow dev process I might just hold out a bit more, I'm in no hurry, really.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

The game and engine is solid. It's been ported to PS4 and xbone so it seems pretty final in that regard. It's just the content/balance that's being slowly added and tweaked at this stage. If you can't get it to run it's more likely a problem on your end. Do you have 2 monitors with different resolutions by any chance? That used to screw up a fair few games for me in the way you describe. Sometimes I used to have to unplug/disable the 2nd monitor until I had them running and configured.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Nah, I had single monitor setup for a few months now 4k res + SLI gfx cards. Not sure if I had it back when I tried the game first. I might still had the triples, but I don't think so tbh.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

They just announced 'space legs' for ED: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/e ... nt.546389/
petey

Post by petey »

The mad bastards are actually doing it
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
GXTracker
Fluffed nipple blades

Post by GXTracker »

Looks like they're going to get to level Star Citizen even before Star Citizen does. :D

I just got ED:Beyond a few months ago and Im playing with my VR headset and this game is awesome. Im getting this nostalgia vibe of the Mechwarrior series for the ship customization and the Freelancer Series for the space exploration and combat.
Steven "GXTracker" Wilton
Checkout my GPL movies page
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

i dunno Star citizen just feels like it has way more depth to it. will see how good space legs is gonna be.