The Division - Beta

General game chat
c.j
Midget Wanker

The Division - Beta

Post by c.j »

Anyone else get to play this over the weekend?

I had a beta key for both the PS4 and xbone and have enjoyed it. Getting in to a group of at least 3 is recommended, 4 is better. Cover and shoot 3rd person works well, the beta didn't show much variety in the way of bad guys but the little bit of New York I was in had a lot of variety of missions. Hostage rescue, comms missions, support the National Guard etc.

Once I had joined a group through the matchmaking service, found in the starting camp as a laptop you can access, I spent 3 hours making my way across the map. Flanking, being flanked, fighting between rooftops, underground in sewers and subways and a half a dozen good little battles on the streets.

Entered the dark zone with a group of 3 others and we spent about an hour seeking out newer weapon types.

There is a cash system in play here, which allows weapons and gear mods. Weapons and gear are also scattered throughout the map.

I gave last night an 8/10 for fun factor and I am looking forward to the bigger game. Shame the beta ends today.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Re: The Division - Beta

Post by Righteous »

I had a quick blast of it on PC. I wasn't expecting it to be as enjoyable as it is. I like the cover mechanics and the sound is pretty awesome. The level of detail in the city is crazy, at least on PC, can't comment on the consoles.

I'll probably pick this up. My GPU is showing it's age a little with this one though.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Wouldn't imagine there will be too much difference between the ps4/xbone/pc as far as the world goes. Maybe slightly more going on with the AI in the PC version?

I decided to finish off the missions in the main part of the city on my own so I could become a little more proficient with the weapons and understanding how the bad guys react. Suppression is key to keeping momentum here, I was able to take down level 8 baddies pretty quick on my own with the M1A1 (modded w/ Suppressor) and the Military M4 (Modded w/ Suppressor, Acog x4 + foregrip). You can carry an arsenal of weapons. Although only two primary weapons and the sidearm can be cycled through the hotkey, in your inventory you can carry as many as you find. I held on to the M870 shotty and the MP5 for indoor work and then used the two rifles in the world and more so in the dark zone. Swapped out the default handgun for a 1911, bit of an affinity for them having carried one for so long. There are more powerful hand guns.

You can play on your own in the DZ but you need to have your wits about you. Level 8 plus in the DZ (It goes to Level 12 in there) guys have better armour, better weapons and the AI are pretty hard to take down if you're on your pat malone. You will be shot in the back by bastard PVP's waiting around the extraction points. I found it easier to source the equipment in the harder zones and then work my way back to the extraction point near where you first enter the DZ on the SW side. Usually the less experience guys shoot at you when they see you packing two assault rifles :)

Things I like that I can relate to are cycling your weapons instead of reloading in gun fight. Even then cycling to the pistol is quite realistic and much faster than fixing a stoppage in the middle of a battle.
Trigger manipulation is quite realistic considering the view, if you snatch and spray you will use a lot of ammo to take a guy down, but if you squeeze and release you can single shot the M4 to conserve ammo and let the recoil effect drop the weapon back on to the centre of seen mass, i.e the squishy bit in the middle of the head :)

Exploration is rewarded and encouraged. I found quite few of the intel sources behind closed doors. Some I found on my own exploring internal access to buildings, others whilst in a group working together.

Roof top battles and back street firefights are plenty of fun.

I hope the main game offers a lot more as my bro and I have been waiting on this one so we can team up. If this doesn't deliver then we'll be waiting for GR: Wildlands.

;)
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

this game sounds good. A bloke at work has been talking about it for a while now. I'm keen to try it shame the beta is done.
Hello :aussie:
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

I was keen to play this, but after watching some youtube videos, I'm not so sure.

How do you go with the enemies taking so many bullets before dying?
Seems like an immersion killer, especially for a game with "Tom Clancy" in the title.
Steve
---
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

SE1Z wrote:I was keen to play this, but after watching some youtube videos, I'm not so sure.

Seems like an immersion killer, especially for a game with "Tom Clancy" in the title.

Effectively, it's an RPG first and an FPS second.
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

r8response wrote:
SE1Z wrote:I was keen to play this, but after watching some youtube videos, I'm not so sure.

Effectively, it's an RPG first and an FPS second.
Yeh I get that, it's being compared to Destiny for example.
But in a real world setting, fighting humans - from what I've watched on youtube, It seems a little odd...

So yeh, was wondering, based on my thoughts if were still worth looking at?
Is the whole bullet sponge thing a problem in a real world setting? (no monsters or space aliens)
Steve
---
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

This video makes me feel better about it.

Seems the right gear will change the way it plays.

Steve
---
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

I don't think 1 shot kills would lend itself too well to a game like this.

Massive amounts of people in an area and those with the lowest ping will no doubt come out on top each time.

I'm still on the fence about this. I buy too many games and either never finish them, or never even install them (Hello Steam sales!!!)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

r8response wrote:... I buy too many games and either never finish them, or never even install them (Hello Steam sales!!!)
Don't we all, nowadays :)

I'm telling myself, I'm making up for my younger years when I've played a lot and bought nil :D
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Seems like in the video that is on the easiest setting.

The game is geared towards working in a team environment. So I took on all the missions in a group initially, and then once I max out my levels in the free roam and the dz I went back and played them on my own. The included storyline mission in the beta, on the hardest difficulty ( you can change it, the rewards for completing a story mission on a harder difficulty are a lot better), was nearly impossible on my own. It took about 4 - 5 times as long, I used up my front-line of ammunition three or four times (luckily you can restock at caches stashed throughout the world) and it took three restarts (last checkpoint reached) to get through.

It's an good game, better with friends. I guess the difficulty for the developers is keeping it real but challenging. I know that if I roll up with 3 mates and we're all equipped with military assault weapons we are going to drop a couple of gang bangers armed with pistols and baseball bats pretty quickly. In fact safe to say that short of being off their tits on drugs they'd back down. These guys don't back down, they will charge at you and they will fuck you up if you don't use cover, don't suppress, don't manoeuvre. The basic rules of combat apply and it's rewarding when it's done with a group of mates or at least allies who can shoot and scoot.

I think GR Wildlands is going to be the game I am looking forward to the most. But I am hopeful this game can keep me entertained until then.

From my little go, 3 days of beta, I would give it a 8/10 for delivering a good game to play. As I stated earlier there is a lot more to this game that people who rush to level up, rush through the missions and generally just run everywhere are aware of. I took my time, sometimes literally going block to block and I discovered a whole lot more to this game.

For realism, it's above par for most of it but as R8 says, it's definitely not just a shooter.

PVP was fun, hectic at times. Again favourable if you work in a team to take down rogue agents.

I am only getting it on PS4, for me it's a lounge room game. I think the PC version will be a problem with the cheaters and what ever.

;)
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Another PS4/pc/xbone beta starts tonight, already started on xbone. gonna give it a go hopefully tonight
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

And I missed it. Was it the same play area as the first?

;)
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Not sure didn't get to play the first. From what a friend was saying it is. I don't know how to describe why this game is awesome but it's awesome. Played the dark zone with 2 mates last night and when we went rogue we were hunted like a pack of dogs. Good times bloody intense

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Yep.

I'm getting this on PC. Played through the second beta, was still into it after playing through beta 1. So that's enough for me.

Had 4 of us squaded up last yesterday. making plans to go rogue on team-speak but saying the opposite in the proximity chat. Getting stuff out of those extraction zones if pretty tense when you know you've got good gear with you.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I try not to look what gear i have so i don't worry as much lol. Got complacent at an extraction zone after first few no contest and was just chilling looking on my phone waiting for the chopper next min dude comes and shotguns me in the back haha

Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Soooo who bought it? Seen wabbit and se1z online on psn. Got up to level 18 in pve and 9 in dz. Had a level 30 person doing high level missions gaining me tonnes of xp on my day off so levelled up fast. Just love the game so far after about 12hrs in it. Just wanna keep playing but bloody work keeps getting in the way

wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Haha Shaun, yeah we're taking it slowly with another mate. I'm not morally an RPG kinda guy so I'm learning and trying to understand it all. Otherwise we'd be playing Siege :)
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

I am on PSN too, playing with a few mates from the army. I am hoping GR Wildlands is a better shooter. Crouch, sneak, slit throats etc like MGSV.

Still plenty fun though. Some of the missions we have taken 3+hours to complete playing on the hardest setting with 2-3 guys.

;)
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

It's pretty fun. Took the ps4 to a mates today and we sunk a bit of time in. Up to level 25 now. Damm the enemies pack a serious punch. Trying to get a balance of stats is proving to be a challenge

Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Been hammering this for the past 2 days ( and now server maintenance in Aus prime time....) and have been enjoying it immensely. I'm assuming that it's not cross platform for matchmaking etc? Teaming up with my bro and smashing out the grindy part of it has been great fun. Exactly what we've been looking for for a while. Just gotta make the push to 30 and start the gear grind.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

No cross platform unfortunately. The maintenance on ps4 yesterday was weird. After the 3 hours it come back up and i happened to log on to play for couple of hours before bed and then my mate tried to get on and he couldn't, turned out the servers went up then back down real quick for some reason but i was able to play
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Same boat, I was able to play but my mate 40 mins down the road couldn't get on. I am only on 19, but I have been focusing on unlocking the safe houses and searching for named bad guys. Getting my ass kicked by the guys on level 22 at the moment.

Socom M1 and Scar-light are pretty close to legit as far as the recoil and the impact on the enemy goes. Never fired the Scar-Heavy but seems like a pretty formidable weapon in the game. And just like IRL I suck ass with an acog... something about that sight I can't get right in games or on a real weapon.

The C29 sight is what we in Australia call an EOS. 4x power, it's brilliant on assault or marksmen rifles.

Battle rifles in this game are so good... And how satisfying to pop a gas canister on an enemy :)

;)
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

I'm finding myself constantly using the rifle so I've done away with the assault and gone for the rifle and shotty. It's awesome especially as I'm heading towards being tanky. Loving the game! Best with another person thoufh, definitely. We attempted a hard mission with poor hear at level 9 recommended 10 for the mission. Fuck me it was hard but it was worth it at the end. Took us nearly 2 hours to finish the mission.

Sent from my Nexus 5
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Need a 3rd on your team San, you've almost convinced me lol?