VR Games

General game chat
c.j
Midget Wanker

VR Games

Post by c.j »

Maybe the norbi-nator could make a sub forums for this shit?

Anyway, anyone seen or tried this?

http://immersivevreducation.com/the-apo ... xperience/

I want to get it to for my 7 and 5 year old if so. Seems pretty positive feedback on steam.

Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
DarrenM

Re: VR Games

Post by DarrenM »

Forum would be cool. There's a few of us with head sets on the way.

Did the demo of Apollo 11 and it was cool. Got me a bit emotional watching Kennedy's speech then experiencing the launch etc in first person. Personally I wouldn't pay $15 for it, but that's just for me. If it drops to $5 I'll probably grab it. It's a cool thing to go through a couple times, and for showing off VR with.

What I'm look at playing when I get my headset:
iRacing/Assetto
Elite
Dirt Rally. Official support is in the works.
Adr1ft
Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Bought it 2 years ago for rumored vr support. Finally get to play it. Need steady vr legs though.
Hoping Alien Isolation gets an update as well.

The maybe pile
Technolust. Demo was amazing, but need to see some reviews to see if he made a decent full game out of it.
Chronos. When the price drops. Not sure VR is adding anything to it.
Pinball FX. Looks cool, but only 3 tables.

There's a driver out that allows you to use a razor hydra as steam controllers.

Seemed ok in a couple demos I tried it in, but a bit limited range. If it works out it might open up some of the steamvr games.

Games I want with tracked controllers/vive:
Budget Cuts
Fishing Planet. Don't laugh, it's relaxing :)
Couldlands minigolf. When the price drops.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Vive shooting range

Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

It's mostly all racing games for me. I get motion sickness fairly easily so I'm preparing myself for limited seat time initially.

From what I've read, if you take it easy to begin with, you start to get used to it. Fingers crossed I don't power chuck all over my new toy.

I can't wait to try Elite Dangerous with it, but that's probably one for later when I'm comfortable.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Shooting range looks ok. Lot of faults with it but I won't nit pick. Has anyone made an actual prop you can hold? It would be odd to try and keep your hands in the right place in order to grip and twist the weapon to ensure close grouping and accurate shots. If a prop was made that allowed you to hold on to the handgrip/stop and your master hand could remain on the pistol grip it would be mint.

Someone also needs to develop a set of gloves. This way you could have a higher resolution dexterity, if that is the correct way to word that? Flipping switches, keeping your finger off the trigger etc.

;)
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Motion sick you say..
For VR walking, forget treadmills—just stick a Vive wand down your pants "RIPmotion" trick looks silly but works great, particularly in cutting out nausea.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/04/f ... our-pants/
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

I just bought Alien Isolation. Never played it because I am a scared little bitch. Going to fire it up tonight after the kids go to bed, I am guessing this would be a good one as DM mentioned it above? Would be mint in VR.

edit - this is what I want - http://www.roadtovr.com/striker-vr-virt ... interview/

;)
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I played the first couple hours. It seemed good but the VR support they had back then was a bit wonky. The camera would lose orientation to the ground making it feel like the world was on an angle. Was a bit vomit inducing so I stopped playing hoping they'd improve it but I haven't heard anything on it since. It was rumoured they were going to update it as a SteamVR launch title but that didn't happen.

Looked like a good game and I recently reinstalled it intending to finish it on the monitor/virtual desktop. Certainly worth the current price. But VR support is unlikely :(
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Probably better for my undie collection that i play this on the screen. I did 20 mins this afternoon and I was jumping like a skirt

;)
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Tried some darker themes in Elite last night and the lens flaring is greatly reduced. No issues playing it now :yes:

Also tried out Arma3 in virtual desktop and it's perfectly playable that way. In fact I'd say sniping may even be easier just because everything is larger. I had the screen at 175% size which is like playing on a ~6m wide screen 2m away. UI was a little difficult to read in the corners. Tried curved mode to fix that but it just didn't look right.

I'll see how it goes in steams BigScreen tonight since that's a free equivalent of virtual desktop.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

BigScreen needs more work. Kinda does the same as virtual desktop but with multiplayer as well. Not that my connection could handle streaming. I had some performance issues but they should be able to fix that. At this point virtual desktop has the edge for single user experience, plus it has steam workshop support and SBS, 180, 360 video support.

Bought Chronos this morning and ended up playing 4-5 hours already. Really enjoying it so far. Very Dark Souls inspired, but without the dark gothic theme. Combat is very similar. Start hit trading and you're dead in no time. Started a game on the hardest difficulty but had to restart on normal because I got stuck :)

It's 3rd person but the camera is in a fixed point overlooking the room. It's a bit like you're a fly on the wall watching your character move through the area.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Dirt Rally support won't be out for "months but not many months"

0.8 support is broken and won't be fixed which means we can't use the wrapper either :(

Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Man, this is such a painful part of this whole process.

It feels like it's so close but there's so much feet dragging going on.

Of course, I can understand why it wouldn't be priority for developers when hardly any bugger has actually got their rift yet.

I guess the good news is that it's being worked on and should be good to go when the next gen video cards are on the shelf.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Got an email saying it has been released and shipped, so that will put it on time to the initial delivery of 2nd - 12th May. Going to be a punishing wait for some. Saw a guy on reddit who claims he only ordered it a few weeks ago and his has been shipped.

You done any racing with it DM?

;)
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I've spent a couple hours racing in LFS against AI. South City in the FOX is a blast. Loving the Chicane layout.

I have no issues racing in it, but you're talking to someone who switched to VR with DK1. For me it's a step up and everything looks sharp and clear for several hundred metres, but for guys switching from monitor you're going to have to accept the lower resolution. Still doing some iRacing with the DK2 and it just makes me feel like I need glasses.

If you do get motion sickness just do short stints in the slower cars like the UF1000 and XF GTI until you get used to it. It'll feel weird stopping and starting until your brain figures out it's not real. For the first week or so I just closed my eyes when launching the car or when I was going to crash. Took a couple months for my vestibular reflex to stop freaking out. Upside of that is no motion sickness. Downside is roller coaster demos have no effect any more. Chicanes and curbs in the faster cars can take some getting used to as well. Might be a blessing in disguise that dirt rally won't be ready for a while yet :)

Only issue I have with LFS is that the scenery doesn't move by smoothly when I look out the side of the car. I'm getting 90fps but it seems like the scenery is doing 30. It's fine when looking forwards though. I think the same happened when I used to play on a monitor so it's probably an LFS engine issue, not a VR issue.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Cool, cheers for the info. I will have to load up LFS again

;)
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Yeah, I'm going to be doing a lot of sitting in cars and not much driving. I know I'm going to have to train my brain for it.

But that's fine. I think pcars and LFS will be my poison before I feel brave enough to try Elite. I don't want to screw myself over.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Elite is less motion sickness inducing than driving games in my opinion. The acceleration is relatively slow and you can control how fast you turn. I've made myself feel a bit dizzy with axial rolls, but no motion sickness. In combat you're so focused on the enemy that you don't notice the maneuvers you're doing. I say go for it and just take it easy on the stick :)

Driving the SRV on the planet surface is a very different matter though. Took me a few weeks of short drives before I could handle that. They've got some extra options in to help with it now, like a setting to keep the horizon level. I haven't tried them out yet so I don't know how effective they are. The 780Ti struggles with surfaces (have to turn SRV lights off to be playable) so I've been avoiding it a bit.

It may depend on your controller as well. I tried EVE Valkyrie with the gamepad (can't use hotas and the mappings are weird) and it wasn't very comfortable. I think a joystick or HOTAS is preferable because you have more accurate control and it's more physically involved.

I've found a good colour theme that almost eliminates god rays. File with the theme is attached. Put it in:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Graphics\

Here's a preview on a site where you can tweak the colours
http://arkku.com/elite/hud_editor/#them ... 1_2_2_0_-1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by DarrenM on Mon May 02, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

:kickcan:
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

c.j wrote:I just bought Alien Isolation. Never played it because I am a scared little bitch.
Thats one ridiculously intense game. I stopped playing it cause it made me feel utterly helpless and I couldn't stand it. All other games I've ever played you've got a fighting chance. But if that Xenomorph senses you, you're fucked. Made me feel like a Mouse in a barn full of Owls.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

I've only played 80 mins, they got the feeling of dread right, even after watching all the movies and you know what is coming. It's a proper game, value for money. I have suggested some mates play it but they won't haha

;)
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Had two deliveries tonight at 6pm, neither of them was the oculus. Even raced back from my meetings in the city today on the R1 to make sure I didn't miss the courier window, I get so much stuff delivered for work I know when Toll, Startrack and DHL make their rounds and still no oculus. Feck it! Feckn feck it all!

;)
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Mine is supposed to be delivered today, but I ended getting called in for an evening shift at work so won't get much use from me today!

The little lady will be home to get the delivery though.

It's so close.....
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

War Thunder has CV1 support now in the beta client.

EDIT: It's now supported in the official release

Last edited by DarrenM on Sun May 08, 2016 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

so long to wait...
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]