VR Games

General game chat
Cursed

Re: VR Games

Post by Cursed »

Yes, I can confirm IL2 Sturmovik : Battle of Stalingrad/Moscow/Kuban has a pretty good VR implementation going. I'd hung the game up for the last 12 months, but when the news of VR implementation broke, I had another stab. I'm now re-learning how to fly on it. I'd forgotten how tricky it was to taxi some of those damned Soviet birds. After a few 360's in the snow a search of their forum sorted me out again. Now I need to work on landings.

I haven't fought any dogfights or gone online yet, but it looks promising.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

DexterPunk wrote:I'm pretty sure I got motion sick last night. I'm not certain, I could have just been feeling off anyway. But I was playing project cars in the shifter karts and got really hot and sweaty, then felt nauseous.
Yep, that's motion sickness. The karts are probably more bouncy than the other cars which may cause more issues. Same if the tracks have more elevation and camber changes. It could just be the quicker direction changes as well.

Try playing with the world movement setting. For motion sickness in racing sims, some people need the view locked to the horizon and some need it locked to the car. Probably relates to your subconscious frame of reference or something.

A google search says pCARS has the setting under Options > Camera > Movement >World Movement. 0% to lock the view to the horizon. It's also worth playing with any head wobble settings it may have.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Thanks Darren. I'll have a look into it. I think the karts are just a lot more intense than any other car/track combo i've used before. I've played quite a lot of DiRT Rally in VR so I don't think the elevation changes would have done it. I think it's possibly the really fast lateral movement that may have done it.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Wilson's Heart released today and is getting good reviews. Oculus exclusive so it's $62 for us.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/67hzcb/wilsons_heart_review_megathread/

Star Trek Bridge Crew looks fun. Comes out on 31st May.

DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Panzerwehr 1949 looks like a cool take on the mech genre. Not due until the end of the year though.

DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

So who's getting Bridge Crew? From what I'm reading it works a lot better with others than single player, so it would be cool to organize some sessions.

I'm just waiting to see what the steam price is. It's only available from uplay at the moment for $70AUD, less 20% if you have 100uplay points.

It's cross platform multiplayer. Steam, oculus home and PSVR versions will all work together which is nice.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

DarrenM wrote:So who's getting Bridge Crew?
I'm completely ambivalent. I'd need to see some pretty engaging feedback to make me stick my hand in my pocket.

It probably doesn't help that I was never all that excited by any of the Star Trek stuff to begin with.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Apart from the originals I'd only seen a handful of the episodes and can barely remember the movies. I've been binging on The Next Generation series on netflix lately so it's probably good timing for me.

The early reviews have been very positive but most of them seem to be Trek fans geeking out on the experience. Hopefully we see some non-trekkie impressions once the initial hype dies down.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

uplay (steam key) $69.95 AUD
Oculus $79.95 AUD
Steam $59.45 USD (approx $80AUD)

You can get 50 uplay points for creating a new account and 50 for installing the mobile app. I'm 20 points short with my existing account. Need to see how much it will take to earn the 20 in whatever games I have on uplay.
Last edited by DarrenM on Wed May 31, 2017 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

One roadblock for me is the inevitable need to coordinate a window where you can get a bunch of friends together to play for a reasonable period to get through some missions. Additionally the longevity factor of being able to do this on a reasonably regular basis. The alternative being to jump in with random internet people, and generally I'm not a terribly sociable person.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Alec Moody aka Digital Mistake is a freelance video game artist specialized in modeling mechanical objects. In the past, Alec worked on quite a few popular racing titles we may be using on a daily basis. Recently Alec proudly announced he started working full-time on a prototype game concept of his own titled Wrench The Game.

Wrench is a Virtual Reality Car Mechanic game that could help you learn some techniques used in road and racing vehicles development when preparing cars for motorsports. The game is being developed using the UnrealEngine and will be aimed at the VR market. Nevertheless, Alec is also planning a version for normal screen use. The title will simulate the assembly of various automotive parts and will also provide virtual versions of the tools needed, such as ratchets, combination wrenches, impact tools, pry bars, torque wrenches, a shop press, and more. Keep in mind that all captured footage and media are part of a very early prototype game.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

If you are into sailing, a colleague in Melbourne, and her partner, have made a VR sailing game, called VR Regatta. Early access, currently on sale. Optimised for the Vive apparently. I haven't tried it...

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Duke wrote:
Alec Moody aka Digital Mistake is a freelance video game artist specialized in modeling mechanical objects. In the past, Alec worked on quite a few popular racing titles we may be using on a daily basis. Recently Alec proudly announced he started working full-time on a prototype game concept of his own titled Wrench The Game.

Wrench is a Virtual Reality Car Mechanic game that could help you learn some techniques used in road and racing vehicles development when preparing cars for motorsports. The game is being developed using the UnrealEngine and will be aimed at the VR market. Nevertheless, Alec is also planning a version for normal screen use. The title will simulate the assembly of various automotive parts and will also provide virtual versions of the tools needed, such as ratchets, combination wrenches, impact tools, pry bars, torque wrenches, a shop press, and more. Keep in mind that all captured footage and media are part of a very early prototype game.

Looks damn cool. I'd really love an old street rod re-make with this type of dynamic. 90% building the car, and 10% racing for slips or cash.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Rockstar announced L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files will be released on November 14.

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/ ... ovember-14

It's not the full game though. It'll have 7 of the cases from the game reworked for VR. Don't know how many were in the original but people are saying that should be 6-7 hours of gameplay.

Everything says it's for HTC Vive, which really means steamvr. Hopefully they haven't gone out of their way to make it not work on the Rift though.

Bails MacKenzie

Post by Bails MacKenzie »

6-7 cases from L.A Noire isn't even half of the content, depends on the cases though, some are an hour or more by themselves.

Still, interesting to see, hope they update the graphics.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Steam has a big VR sale on

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/vrspringsale/

Going to grab the Croteam VR Bundle for Talos Principle and either Ultrawings or DoomVFR. Still got a few games on Oculus Home that I haven't finished though.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Fallout 4 VR is tempting me, but I might just leave it til the summer sale. I've been giving Syrim VR a go lately (shame it's not in the sale), and it isn't bad at all if you like that RPG kind of thing.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Ever wanted a train set but don't have the space? Now you can build one and drive it in life size.

Wish it had a realistic art set though. Getting a bit sick of nintendo graphics in VR.

Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Wow that looks fun, Cmon payday
Hello :aussie:
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Haha that's funny :up:

I bought Overload the other day, it's basically a remake of Descent which I played a little a long long time ago.

It seems pretty good so far but the performance isn't that great, I have a 7600k at 5.0GHz and a 1080 and have turned every single graphics setting off or to it's lowest setting to be able to get acceptable performance.

Believe it or not in about two years of owning the CV1 this is the first game other than iRacing I've tried (except for some Lucky's Tale early on), I'm having to acclimatise myself a bit and can only play for 30-40 minutes before feeling a bit sick. Despite being cockpit based it's a real 6 DoF game so that's probably why and the performance still not being 100% I suppose.

How do you guys find most VR games, are they all a bit of a mixed bag performance wise? I know iRacing is cpu bound but I didn't expect to have issues with this game.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

I'm on a 4770K @ 3.5 GHz with a 1080, so I would hazard that a lot of my performance issues revolve around that old CPU. Also, until recently I ran my 2nd desktop monitor off the Intel discrete graphics, which I think may have impacted things when in VR. I've since gotten myself a DisplayPort cable to run that monitor from the 1080 (no real noticable improvements anyway)

Honestly, I think I just have a cast-iron gut. There are some experiences where I feel a bit of unease in the stomach, but it never goes further than that. When I drop into Skyrim VR, the walking locomotion will initially start the feeling, but I tune it out and don't notice it after 5 or 10 minutes. The worst I've felt was when I was experimenting in War Thunder and found that looking over my shoulder during evasive turns at low altitude could bring on the cold sweats after a while. That said, I only had that sensation the first time I tried it.

My most common games are Euro/American Truck Sim, PCARS2, Assetto Corsa, Elite Dangerous and now Skyrim. Mostly they are not running at the highest settings, but somewhere in the middle.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Humble Bundle has a vr sale at the moment

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/prom ... store_home