Cold Waters - Cold War Submarine Game

General game chat
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Cold Waters - Cold War Submarine Game

Post by smithcorp »

Been playing this - its awesome. Made by the same people who made Atlantic Fleet (which norbs enjoyed last year), its supposed to be a rehash of Red Storm Rising, a game I never played. Its got just the right mix of techy stuff plus accessible gameplay. You can sail a selection of modern US subs against the Russkis (and some mods allow you to sail Russian subs) and it has a 1968 and a 1984 campaign which sees you patrolling and hunting between UK, Iceland, Greenland, Russia etc on a strategic map and then playing tactically once you meet something.

The action is pretty cool - wire-guided torpedoes and missiles, depth charges, surface ships and powerful Russian nuclear subs, airplanes and helicopters with air-dropped torpedoes and missile delivered torpedoes, sneaky missions to land SAS teams and land attack missions using TLAM missiles fired from kilometres away. Very cool and looks great.

It has a simplified target motion analysis and sensor interpretation. Your crew identifies sonar contacts and you use a simple waterfall display to match the profile and identify the target. As you manoeuvre, your crew can improve the solution, or lose it and you can choose to shoot with little info on range, course and speed, or wait for a more complete solution. How fast you go, the depth and course you follow and sea conditions (thermal layers and surface ducts) affect how easily you can be detected. Not as complicated as Dangerous Waters but great fun and just enough challenge.

Single player only, but highly recommended.

Dr. Pain

Re: Cold Waters - Cold War Submarine Game

Post by Dr. Pain »

I found this clip. I will buy it in time :)

Minister for Religious Genocide.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

There's an ex-sonar operator from US 688i subs who is putting up some great videos and tutorials for it:

This one gives a good feel for it:
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I loved Red Storm Rising. Would also love the time to check this out...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"