Track limits

GPL related chat
J.D.
Rat

Track limits

Post by J.D. »

As I recall, GPL has a maximum of 64 tracks...? Is there a way of increasing that number since there's an awful lot of add on tracks out there?
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Re: Track limits

Post by Duke »

If you use GEM+ you can set up different seasons of differing tracks to sort of negate the 64 track issue.
I don't believe you can actually overcame it within a single season. Someone else can prove me wrong on this.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Thats the way to do it. If you do use Gem to generate new seasons I think you must make sure that the season name is 8 characters. e.g. season67 or austrack etc.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Okay, thanks but does this mean that I need to create a new tracks directory for each season? For example, I want to run GPL 66 mod but that requires East London. I don't have a spare slot in my normal tracks directory so do I then create a 66 tracks directory within the normal GPL/tracks directory? Then presumably I create the new track.ini file using GEM. Is this right?

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

as far as i know you can have as many tracks as you like in the track directory, just limited to 64 with each season so you make a new season with the tracks and name of your choice. I think the season.ini file is just a pointer to whichever tracks you wish to include in that season. You shouldn't have to make sub directories in the tracks folder.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Okay but every time I use the installer for a new track it's just going to tell me there are too many tracks.

Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Its a while since I installed a GPL track, can't you just say NO when it asks if you want to include the track in season67.ini ?

Edit: Ok just ran through a track install to remind myself how it all works. Seems like the track installer automatically adds the track to 67season.ini (the option to untick this was there on the track I tried (Zeltweg67) but greyed out and not able to change it). It seems that the 67season ini is used to list all tracks

If you start GEM up (latest version) there should be a SEASONS button. Click on that and it takes you into the season manager where you will see all your sesaons on the right and a list of all tracks installed on the left. From here you can add and remove tracks from various inis. With the latest version of GEM 2.5.26 there is also a box to tick to "enforce 64 track limit", I seem to remember that with the latest GEM this can be unticked and will allow more than 64 tracks, possibly up to 256 now that I've had a scout around. Try unchecking that box and then running track installer. If it doesn't allow you to add more then the only way I can think of is to remove tracks from the 67season and build a new season to put them in and then start adding other tracks when the 67season has room for them.

Hope this helps :)