The ARSE Series

GPL related chat
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Re: The ARSE Series

Post by Duke »

Damn, just remembered I may not make it tomorrow night, have something else on in our LFS league which won't finish till around 9:30pm.
Might be able to join you late for Race 2 or something, if not the week after.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
David Piglos Shaw
Pig
Pig

Post by David Piglos Shaw »

I can't make it tonight either, I ripped the lead on my headphones and forgot to buy some more :doh:
Bluesman
AGGOT Champion
AGGOT Champion

Post by Bluesman »

David Piglos Shaw wrote:I can't make it tonight either, I ripped the lead on my headphones and forgot to buy some more :doh:
oh thats a bummer Dave :(....serious MPH lost when ya do that :P

ARSE Resident Golf Alien.......your golf ARSE's are mine :D
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

How'd it go last night fella's?
Any news on next week special track yet? So I can practice a bit before I can join you.
Dukester

Bluesman
AGGOT Champion
AGGOT Champion

Post by Bluesman »

yeah we had some great racing Flinty....shame you couldnt make it :(..........next week we'll be @ SOLITUDE!!! and Reims ( the 67 version not the 66 )

Soli is like a mini Nurburgring......3min+ lap....mountain circuit......fast with some great twisty bits so practice is a must. limited setups are available for some cars so please ask.

you can only describe Reims with one word......FAST! anything less than a 3L wont cut it, so recommended cars are the Ferrari 312, Cooper Maserati, Lotus 43 BRM H16 & the Brabham BT19.

we've had some great close racing @ this track with high speed drafting being the name of the game. plenny of setups available for this one :)

Quincy

Post by Quincy »

hey flinty, was a blast last night.. i'd practiced sandown and put down some nice qualifying laps, come race time, (and this is one for the nOOb's) i didn't realize the set you use through Qual, doesn't carry with you into race, you need to manually set it..so the default set caught me unawares come race time....but still managed to keep the Bluesman insight, kept him honest... ;)
the second track was Zandy, which i'd only done maybe 10 laps prior.. so was a struggle to find the pace, but it's an exciting track, plodded along at the back, listening to the mayhem upfront via Ventrilo (another tip, make sure you d/l version 2.3.0 of ventrilo, any other version doesn't work with these guys... someone did mention this earlier, but i ignored it..doh!)

next week is Solitude and Dundrod... (pretty sure someone will confirm this.)

thanks guys for another top night of entertainment...

*edit* bluesman beat me to the punch with the tracks.... see above.
balls & boobs. . .
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Cool. Thanks for the tips Gents invaluable, wtf @ the set not carrying over. :faint:

Better get practicing given the tracks sound very challenging & I haven't seen them before. :eek:
Dukester

Quincy

Post by Quincy »

Flinty72 wrote: Better get practicing given the tracks sound very challenging & I haven't seen them before. :eek:

that makes 2 of us.
balls & boobs. . .
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Ooooo Solitude.....

One of my all time favourite GPL tracks. The run down the back section thru that ultra fast left hander before the tight hairpin is a blast.
Last edited by KNAPPO on Wed May 28, 2008 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

does this mean we will see you next tuesday knappo??
balls & boobs. . .
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

I have a Flash animation course on Tuesdays so there is no racing for me :(

Wish i could make it as Solitude is such a fun track to drive.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Bluesman
AGGOT Champion
AGGOT Champion

Post by Bluesman »

Flinty72 wrote: wtf @ the set not carrying over.
hehehe....even i still get caught on this one......and i've been racing this for 5 years lol
when you go into the setup screen in GPL, @ the top left you will see "CURRENT" & "RACE"....
this is where you load your setups.......when you 1st go into this screen both those will show "DEFAULT" ( unless you have loaded setups in there before, then they will stay what you loaded)
you load your practice/qually setup into Current, however if DEFAULT is still showing in RACE, then default will be your race setup.....so make sure you change both ;)

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Wow did some prac last night, REIMS is just insanely quick need to source a decent set for it though.
As for Solitude well it is a great track but I could only muster a single completed lap in 1hr,it was @ 4:13min something in the Lotus 43 BRM H16. I tried the Fezza as well and it was worse.
But now I am another very frustrated GPL player.
How the f'k do you drive these things fast and stay on the tarmac, I have real trouble drifting precisely and can never get the optimum speed or line through a lot of corners its even worse than that as I am having huge issues under heavy braking as the rear end decides it wants to hit the apex's first and even if I am able to point the nose in by mid corner I am usually facing the other way (wrong way) on the track :rolleyes:

I have no clue what is causing it whether it is car setup, wheel controller setup or just shit skill, I suspect it is the later but then again I can't bring myself to believe it is that just yet :p

Any tips gents?
Anyone got a set or two for either track that I could try? At this stage I probably prefer the Ferrari 312, Cooper Maserati, Lotus 43 BRM H16, in that order.
Dukester

Buk Nekkid

Post by Buk Nekkid »

One thing about these two tracks is that they alow you to get the cars to a speed where being able to pull them up is extremely difficult. If the car is not pulling up well, it's prolly cause you're braking too late, brake bias may need to be moved to the front a little and toe-in/out setting may need to be moved more to a neutral state. Brake earlier and give plenty of time to settle the car before turn-in. Eventually as you get used to the way the car reacts under braking and the tyres heat up the car will be more predictable and you'll be able to brake later.

Practice, Practice, Practice. :tilt:

Cheers, Neil :)
The not so friendly creature from the off-white puddle who will eat you......
Speed

Post by Speed »

While you're learning to drive GPL, & particularly if you are using some Alien setups, (Huttu's or Cloyd's), I recommend that you set the Differential & Brake Bias to the defaults.
From memory the Diffs are 85/30 with 2 clutches & the brake bias is around 60%.

Spewing I'm busy Tuesdays, Solitude is a great track. :(
Bluesman
AGGOT Champion
AGGOT Champion

Post by Bluesman »

Flinty i have setups for Solitude for the Ferrari, Brabham BT19 & Eagle......i have only tried the Brabby setup as thats what i mainly drive.....if you PM me with your email address i'll send ya the lot and you can try em out :)

The other thing that may help you new guys is a program called The Racing Line. http://gplea.rscsites.org/tools/trl/TheRacingLine.html you may notice @ most/all tracks that there is a black line on the track that represents the line that cars take around the track, darkening @ braking spots etc....we call it the groove and it can be most helpful as a lot of tracks dont have braking markers. Where The Racing Line comes into it is that this program is able to "regroove" the track specific to what cars you are driving ( 65's, 66's, 67 F1 & F2 & 69's)...."how does it do that?" i hear you say. weeeeelllll in fact you need 2 programs. The other is GPLReplay Analyser.

Basically you acquire a replay of what ever track you are driving, then using GPLRA you are able to create a "groove" from said replay. Once you have that groove you then use The Racing Line to apply that groove to said track....instant braking marks on the track :D

Sounds simple?.....wellllll in theory it is, BUT..........where would you get a replay of a lap in the 66's @ Solitude?????......thats a tough one as Solitude is not a championship track, so no replays about for it in the 66's :(...............however what i've discovered is that laps/times for the 66 F1's are very similar to the 67 F2's, so i've applied a 67 F2 groove to Solitude to use with the 66's....better than nothing and it seems to work well.

Now what i'm prepared to do if you wanna go down this route is i'll supply you with grooves that i've made and also you'll need the track centerline (.cln), which i can also provide. This way you dont need GPLRA, just The Racing Line program. :) Let me know if you wanna do this and i'll provide intructions on how to go about it.

w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Bluesman wrote: Basically you acquire a replay of what ever track you are driving, then using GPLRA you are able to create a "groove" from said replay. Once you have that groove you then use The Racing Line to apply that groove to said track....instant braking marks on the track :D
i will never forget once in arse chat, Gure said to Sandy 'you have the most well defined groove i have ever seen' :rofl:
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

lol
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

A big shout to Bluesman for offering his sets and grooveness, much appreciated. :yes:
After doing a few laps around Solitude last night I have to say with good setups this game is transformed, loving it. I worked out that my braking techniques was my biggest issue, braking too late and stabbing the brakes hard this game does not like, I found the first initial application has to be smooth and progressive while balancing the car, then once it all settles you can hit them pretty hard until you have the corner entry speed right. For the sweepers I took KNAPPO's advice (elsewhere) & used left foot braking to balance the car while hard on the throttle & it seemed to work really well. I ended up doing my fastest time in the Eagle T1F, iirc it was a 3:53.88. I was on a 3:52 but lost it 4 corners from the end of the lap and by that time I had had enough. Still a long way off the WR time on GPL Rank in that car of 3:40.44 :faint:
Dukester

Quincy

Post by Quincy »

good stuff Flinty. i'm lapping around the same sort of time in the Lotus 33 BRM... default set, with adjusted camber, tyre psi, and gear ratio.... should be a good tussle come Tuesday night. :)
balls & boobs. . .
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Had a ball last night, even though a lot of it was on my own.
Had lots of laughs especially with Quincy & I taking each other out after loosing it under brakes, him in Race 1 & me in race 2 and also him & I coming to grief on the same corner multiple times @ Riems (I can confirm the corn tasted very nice) :rofl:
Thanks heaps guys & I will see you next week :)
Dukester

Quincy

Post by Quincy »

yeah lol..!
my night started off crap, as i couldn't work out why my practice sets weren't showing up via multiplayer... thanks guys for trying to sort me out, and pretty much ruining your qualifying sessions...then i missed the start stuffing around trying to put some fuel in the tanks..doh! settled with the default (which wasn't too bad, as my set was pretty much based around it, i think i even did a 3:46 which was a 4 second pb improvement!! don't ask me where i found that 4 seconds but?)
as flinty said, we had fun, and took it in turns, wiping each other out, completely unintentional, trying to get a handle of these machines. at the end of the big straight at Soli, coming into the tight right hander, i drafted flinty and had pulled out, but pulle d out just at the braking zone.....biiiiig mistake, as i had to straighten and brake at the same time.....spin,spin,spin,spin,spin, when i stopped spinning i was hoping i hadn't collected flinty....nope, there he was, squashed up against the hay... mind you, he returned the favour at riems a few times...hahah!! great stuff..
once i sort out my set issues, i'll be a happy camper, from the tips last night, pretty sure i'll have it sorted by next tuesday...
Cheers guys!
balls & boobs. . .
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Can someone point me to the naming convention of sets, it looks like each car has a seperate filename? i.e, ea1 = Eagle.
But how are the seperate models named i.e, Eagle T1G & T1F?

Also what naming convention do you guys use for your online messages?
As I want to have them setup for next week.

EDIT: Found the answer to the first question in the GPL Setup Manager Help.txt file.
It is more confusing than I thought. :rolleyes:
Each chassis setup file has a three-letter extension that identifies the chassis. These suffixes are:

1965 Mod: bb1 (Brabham BT11), br1 (BRM), co1 (Cooper), ea1 (Brabham BT7), fe1 (Ferrari), lo1 (Lotus), mu1 (Honda).

1966 Mod: bb1 (Brabham BT19), bc1 (Brabham BT11--Climax 2.5L), bd1 (Brabham BT11--Climax 2.7L) , be1 (Brabham BT11--BRM 2.0L), br1 (BRM P83), bs1 (BRM 261), co1 (Cooper), eb1 (Eagl--Weslake), ea1 (Eagle--Climax 2.7L), fe1 (Ferrari 312), ff1 (Ferrari 246), mu1 (Honda), lo1 (Lotus 43), lp1 (Lotus 33--Climax 2.0L), lq1 (Lotus--BRM 2.0L), and mc1 (McLaren).

1967 Original: bb1 (Brabham), br1 (BRM), co1 (Cooper), ea1 (Eagle), fe1 (Ferrari), lo1 (Lotus), mu1 (Honda).

1969 Mod: bb1 (Brabham), br1 (BRM), co1 (Lotus 63), ea1 (McLaren), fe1 (Ferrari), lo1 (Lotus 49), mu1 (Matra).
Dukester

Bluesman
AGGOT Champion
AGGOT Champion

Post by Bluesman »

pretty confusing hey Wayne lol.......as for the naming convention we use in online messages?......not sure what you mean there mate......the cars??

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Bluesman wrote:pretty confusing hey Wayne lol.......as for the naming convention we use in online messages?......not sure what you mean there mate......the cars??
yeah, old technology hey :D
Well I am not sure if the game creates the convention or each driver adds it to their own messages but messages posted last night had each drivers car number (or iirc some other identifier) appearing at the start of their messages. Given we are at times changing car types then the race number would also change so I am just trying to work out if I just create a "Pit In", "Pit Out" meassage or I need to add an identifier to them?
(I am sure i could of written that in a better way with a lot less words) :melt:
Dukester