sure it's an old game

GPL related chat
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

sure it's an old game

Post by w00dsy »

but it still makes me sweat. I found an old backup last night from about the time the 65 mod came out and decided to load it up and have a run. I haven't driven GPL since the 69 mod first came out. I had to get the resolution hack but on the challenge from Big Kev to get under 1.30 at Monza in the Ferrari within 6 laps i gave it a go. I did about 5 laps with the default setup and got a 1.30.55 and then decided i needed some decent setups, as i had none. I found some of Paul Jacksons, bloody aliens, anyway 2nd flier and managed a 29.62. That was it for the night, my nerves were shot. 10 years on and it's still the only game to give me that feeling.
Bauer

Re: sure it's an old game

Post by Bauer »

SNAP

I reinstalled GPL this week too. Its been a long time ?2003? (I never even tried the 65,66 or 69 mod) and I loaded it up from a fresh install, did the All in 1 patch and it was magic.

I jumped onto the ring. Crashed 15,000 times on my out lap while trying to remember how to drive the beast (Eagle) and then did a 9.06.xx on my first timed lap (no crashes, just tried to lap without a spin). :up: (I didnt even have Norbers co-driver tape to help me out)

Then I wondered if I could go negative at Monza still. took 6 laps and did a 1.29.90 on the default setup with fuel removed. :D

It was great and man o man how good does GPL look these days :tilt:

funny that we both did this around the same time. My retro thoughts came from reading about iRacing. What urged you to try it?
--------------
Stu
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

i dunno, i just saw the disc and decided to load it up. Funny thing was Kev said he did the same. Even Mick said he would have a run if he could get the screen issue sorted. Now with Jazzy back, we just need Norbs to pull out his old A1 and load up LOL'sgate for a reunion.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Yep just out of the blue I decided to give it a try. I finished COD4 a few weeks back and had nothing to play so thought I'd give it a run out. Only took me a couple of laps to get back into the groove.

I also got myself a '66 rank. It's basically like driving the cooper.
I only did about 2-3 laps on each track but still got to +32.97
http://gplrank.schuerkamp.de/php-pub/us ... l=18,1,547
Not bad for an old dog :) Pissed off a mate who said he'd have a crack at it too. He got +145! Mind you I did manage a fairly conservative 8.45 at the ring which helped.

I even forgot I'd managed to get my 67 rank down to -30! Don't remember being that good!!!
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Come run 66er's with us on Tuesday night. They are much better than 67's.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

well cos this thread i installed GPL, ive never really got into it before so im finding my feet still, fun so far though
Hello :aussie:
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

I've been thinking about GPL again lately. I did all my GPLing with a gamepad because I just could not get the wheel set up. I allways seemed to be chasing the wheel and allways got pissed off after about an hour. I'm ready to give it another go now though as I've been having a blast with rFactor. Had no problems getting the wheel working and seemed as "easy" as it should be. The 88 F1 mod and the 280 GTO mod are great fun to drive. Think I'll try the 66's now that GPL has better front end physics.

Any suggestions for FFB settings would be welcome, I think it was trying to get the correct latency value that I never stumbled on.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Johnny X wrote:I think it was trying to get the correct latency value that I never stumbled on.
did you have the "linear" slider full left? I found I had steering lag without it. (I think it was left)
--------------
Stu
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

w00dsy wrote:i dunno, i just saw the disc and decided to load it up. Funny thing was Kev said he did the same. Even Mick said he would have a run if he could get the screen issue sorted. Now with Jazzy back, we just need Norbs to pull out his old A1 and load up LOL'sgate for a reunion.

An inferior game on an inferior OS. Pfft.

As tops as GPL was, and it is still one of my all time faves, despite the bagging I give it, I still don't get why it is so revered. Is it to do with the era of the game? The fact that it was modded to hell and back? The fact that it started this whole community off?

As far as racing games go, sims or arcade games (Studley), it is probably the best all round game, but I have had far more intense races in LFS. Heaps more fun in TOCA touring cars and Fatal Racing. GPL does top out the frustration factor though. Nothing like a Jazzy enema at T1 time after time after time! :)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
vipergod
Dumb ARSE

Post by vipergod »

Why am i just laughing at this
I don't care what ya say GPL still rocks
norbs

Post by norbs »

vipergod wrote:Why am i just laughing at this
Because your mind is closed to new things? Your PC wont run any of the new games? You're waiting to go negative on Rank before giving up on GPL? See, I can laugh to Dion. :nod:
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

norbs wrote:
w00dsy wrote:i dunno, i just saw the disc and decided to load it up. Funny thing was Kev said he did the same. Even Mick said he would have a run if he could get the screen issue sorted. Now with Jazzy back, we just need Norbs to pull out his old A1 and load up LOL'sgate for a reunion.

An inferior game on an inferior OS. Pfft.

As tops as GPL was, and it is still one of my all time faves, despite the bagging I give it, I still don't get why it is so revered. Is it to do with the era of the game? The fact that it was modded to hell and back? The fact that it started this whole community off?

As far as racing games go, sims or arcade games (Studley), it is probably the best all round game, but I have had far more intense races in LFS. Heaps more fun in TOCA touring cars and Fatal Racing. GPL does top out the frustration factor though. Nothing like a Jazzy enema at T1 time after time after time! :)
yeah well if we are including arcade racers, LFS is great. :D

But as a sim, GPL has character and I think that is what makes it stay in our heart. No other sim (or arcade game) has the sort of vintage character that GPL has.

Like my first root I suppose. Graphically not all that pleasing even at full resolution, even the sound wasnt kind to the ears, but first root is first root so its always going to be remembered :yes:
--------------
Stu
norbs

Post by norbs »

Bauer wrote:
yeah well if we are including arcade racers, LFS is great. :D

But as a sim, GPL has character and I think that is what makes it stay in our heart. No other sim (or arcade game) has the sort of vintage character that GPL has.

Like my first root I suppose. Graphically not all that pleasing even at full resolution, even the sound wasnt kind to the ears, but first root is first root so its always going to be remembered :yes:
Probably has some merit. Maybe thats why I have such a soft spot for TOCA and Fatal Racing. And could also be why GPL lost its lustre. A few shags too many for me. I still maintain I have probably STILL done more multiplayer GPL than alot of guys here. Too much of a good thing perhaps.

One of the guys at work heard me talking to Rod on the phone about this today, and he plays Nascar 2003 online with his 2 brothers 3 times a week. They are all single, so have plenty of time, but even so, he was saying he is just getting sick of it. He was asking about LFS and rFactor, but I am taking in my old GPL disk tomorrow for him to have a look at. His dad used to have something to do with the Warwick Farm Tasman races as a marshall, and is really keen to have a look at GPL. If he likes it, you GPL blokes might be able to get another 3 fresh new faces.
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Bauer wrote:
Johnny X wrote:I think it was trying to get the correct latency value that I never stumbled on.
did you have the "linear" slider full left? I found I had steering lag without it. (I think it was left)
Yep.. if you mean fully linear then yes. The best way to describe the feeling was that it was like chasing a tank slapper. Mebbe its just my crappy Thrustmaster F1 wheel
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

the initial attraction for me was the era, no doubt about it. No wings and slicks and the tracks were all 'old' config. The fact that it was by far the best physics at the time helped too, even if it wasn't perfect. Then add in the community, there came a stream of endless weekly addons, tracks, cars, hacks etc. Then came the aussie side to it, Norbs, Macca, Chucky, Exar, Bauer, Pig, Jamo............and on and on it went until we ended up here, 10 years later talking about the good old days. Combine all of those and there was nothing else like it, and still isn't for me anyway. Only LFS seems to have had the same sort of attention from it's groupies, ARSE probably has more LFS dudes than it ever had GPL guys, but as i'm not a big fan of fantasy cars and tracks, it doesn't hold my interest. Racing for the sake of racing isn't that much fun for me. I do like a lot of offline driving, just me and a good bit of road in a classic old car is my fav pass time, i loved the fact i got to drive a lot of the classic old tracks i had read about for years. I don't need to be punted by a 14 y/o haXor in a colorful jap rip off to have fun.
Speed

Post by Speed »

GPL is my all time favourite game. I've played most other sims other than LFS....I've had my fill of multiplayer for the moment.

I don't play GPL consistantly but I find I always come back to it.
The main attraction for me is probably the era...nothing quite like the romance of 60's F1 but I also love the level of support for it. Always new mods & utilities coming out.
The rank also seem the most pure & relevant to me.

Johnny X...I use a latency value of 0.000001. Before I used that figure I had trouble even driving in a straight line. especially online.
fp

Post by fp »

This will be my signature until Dexter Bean qualifies for a NASCAR race. Keep chasing that dream...
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

:rofl: FP, thats litterally made me hunt for an install of it.
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Speed wrote: Johnny X...I use a latency value of 0.000001. Before I used that figure I had trouble even driving in a straight line. especially online.
K thanks, I'll give it a whirl, never used numbers as low as that :yes:
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Just did the fresh install thing. All in one patch and I was ready to go. I even had my old player profile still on my hard drive so I chucked that in which had all my old setups woohoo. So I jumped in the Fezz at Monza, put my old setup on and went for a spin. Literally. 3 laps in I finally completed a flyer with no big offs and did a 1:29.62, then got that down to a 29.3 by the 6th lap. Topped her up with another 10 laps of fuel and got down to a 1:28.3 by the end of that.

I just checked GPLRank and my best time in the Fezz there was a 1:27.7. So not too bad I guess but I'd hate to see how far off I'd be at a track with corners. I might try out this 66 mod now.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
vipergod
Dumb ARSE

Post by vipergod »

I know i'm stuck in a time warp (that only nige can explain)but i luv GPL
I have got and played nearly all the racing sims and arcade type(including RFactor)
Istill keep going back to GPL! Y i cant say, maybe because it is so easy to get online with, maybe
the guys i race with a tops "yes pig even you", with the mods out now it's differnt each time.
I know i must be the only ARSE who is not negative but i still have ... wait for it..... FUN
I don't care what ya say GPL still rocks
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

i had a crack at the 66's today, different. It's hard adjusting to the fact the Lotus and eagle are quite shit, and the Cooper isn't too bad. Very peaky in most cars, the Brab seems the most sorted out of all of them, i can see why they won that year, it has a really good balance and is predictable.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

where is Oggie and West ARSE when you need him :D
--------------
Stu
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

What screen resolution / hack ???
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

Think he is just talking about the method of being able to change the resolutions to choose a higher res such as 1280x1024 etc...

Do a search on GPLRastHack.zip, can't remember where i got it from.